Woops, just bent my heatpipe

rony59turbo

So, while trying to repaste my xps 15 9550, i noticed that the heat pipe was not sitting perfectly flush. In seeing this i thought to myself "eh no problem, i'll just bend it back". However, i put a little bit too much force and it kinked and bent way more than needed. I managed to bend it back to a regular position, but i was wondering if this would have any detrimental effects on the laptops cooling. I ran an XTU stress test with the same under volt and CPU temps are lower in before. 

The lower temps are most likely from the repasting. It probably won't be able to conduct heat as efficiently as before, but the repasting should more than counteract any difference in performance.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

shouldn't be a problem. especially if temps are normal afterwards lol

I think it would only be a problem if you actually broke the heat pipe, but that's not likely.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Heatpipes are flexible and are fine with a bit of bending as long as it stays intact and doesn't kink.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's doubtful that the performance would be impacted by a small bend. I wouldn't worry about it. 

I'll try help you out. I'm partial to certain vendors but I'll never pretend to know something I don't. Stay cool.