AMD's official "eff you GPP" response: A Gamer's Choice

captain cactus

sausy sauce: https://gaming.radeon.com/en/radeon-a-gamers-choice/

Our proud pastime of PC gaming has been built on the idea of freedom. Freedom to choose. How to play the game. What to do and when to do it. And specifically, what to play it on. PC gaming has a long, proud tradition of choice. Whether you build and upgrade your own PCs, or order pre-built rigs after you’ve customized every detail online, you know that what you’re playing on is of your own making, based on your freedom to choose the components that you want. Freedom of choice is a staple of PC gaming.

Over the coming weeks, you can expect to see our add-in board partners launch new brands that carry an AMD Radeon product. AMD is pledging to reignite this freedom of choice when gamers choose an AMD Radeon RX graphics card. These brands will share the same values of openness, innovation, and inclusivity that most gamers take to heart. The freedom to tell others in the industry that they won’t be boxed in to choosing proprietary solutions that come bundled with “gamer taxes” just to enjoy great experiences they should rightfully have access to. The freedom to support a brand that actively works to advance the art and science of PC gaming while expanding its reach.

Asus is first with the AREZ lineup live: 

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/AREZ-Series-Products/

So rather than locking in partners with non-industry standard crap and limiting customer choice AMD's all like "hey, we open sourced this stuff, enjoy it". And now they're doing the same with GPU branding, kinda like GPP, but without forcing manufacturers to join in or face the lack of supplies and marketing and whatnot. It's the official and kind "fuck off GPP" response from AMD.

"No anti-gamer / anti-competitive strings attached." sums it up best.

Ye ole' train

may the amd fan boys rejoice hazaah 

#BetterRed

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Before people start glorifying AMD - this is the only thing marketing-wise they could do to challenge GPP in ANY way.

It's not because they like you, it's because they don't have the resources and market position to do anything else about it.

16 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Sounds like someone is trying to lift themselves up after trying to throw someone else under the bus.

It has nothing to do with that. They were right to raise awareness about GPP because it's disgusting.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

9 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

sausy sauce: https://gaming.radeon.com/en/radeon-a-gamers-choice/

Asus is first with the AREZ lineup live: 

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/AREZ-Series-Products/

So rather than locking in partners with non-industry standard crap and limiting customer choice AMD's all like "hey, we open sourced this stuff, enjoy it". And now they're doing the same with GPU branding, kinda like GPP, but without forcing manufacturers to join in or face the lack of supplies and marketing and whatnot. It's the official and kind "fuck off GPP" response from AMD.

"No anti-gamer / anti-competitive strings attached." sums it up best.

So after all the BS talk about brand exclusiveness to only nV cards, that wasn't the case, AMD could have their own brand just had to a be a different line up lol.  OK that pretty much put Kyle's article in the dog house and his crux of the problem was not the problem at all. 

We actually have AMD saying what the actual problem is now.

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Before people start glorifying AMD - this is the only thing marketing-wise they could do to challenge GPP in ANY way.

It's not because they like you, it's because they don't have the resources and market position to do anything else about it.

That is the same thing as all open sourced initiatives they have done in the past lol.

This sounds more like an "oh shit, we're going to have our products branded under names that gamers aren't used to, we'd better make a statement trying to explain it" to me.

I'm with @porina It'd be nice to see AMD come out with a really solid high end card, something they haven't drastically over hyped. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Well this is the logical thing to do.

They have to promote the new brands, get the word out...

It doesn't matter now because while the mining craze is going on they will easily sell out every GPU they can make, but it will matter once things settle down and competition resumes with supply matching demand.

14 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It has nothing to do with that. They were right to raise awareness about GPP because it's disgusting.

The only thing I'm going to say about that since it is off topic is, people are right to ask questions. However, people need to step back and wait for things to come to fruition before making accusations and throwing names around as no one understands or knows what is actually laid out.

On topic: This could be a good thing for both NVidia and AMD as it creates and identity for both brands that are more seperated. It could force the consumer to make a more determined decision of what to buy instead of grabbing for [insert big gaming brand here].

14 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

So after all the BS talk about brand exclusiveness to only nV cards, that wasn't the case, AMD could have their own brand just had to a be a different line up lol.  OK that pretty much put Kyle's article in the dog house and his crux of the problem was not the problem at all. 

We actually have AMD saying what the actual problem is now.

Forcing all the vendors to move AMD out from their well established gaming brand is a big deal. Can they have a separate brand for AMD? yeah but they shouldn't have to. It's a very shady thing to do on nvidia's part.

16 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'm with @porina It'd be nice to see AMD come out with a really solid high end card, something they haven't drastically over hyped. 

Well the amd fury x was a solid high end card from amd. It is still on the same level as a 1070, but other than that the options are limited. The Vega lineup doesn't exist and thats that.

Just now, Some Random Member said:

Well the amd fury x was a solid high end card from amd. It is still on the same level as a 1070, but other than that the options are limited. The Vega lineup doesn't exist and thats that.

Was doesn't really matter. The present matters, and they don't have anything available.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

No it doesnt... It proves his point.

No it did, check again, I can quote what he stated, its in type lol.

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Was doesn't really matter. The present matters, and they don't have anything available.

Yeah, that is why i said that the vega doesn't exist. Vega is solid once you undervolt, but you just cant get them anywhere! 

15 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Forcing all the vendors to move AMD out from their well established gaming brand is a big deal. Can they have a separate brand for AMD? yeah but they shouldn't have to. It's a very shady thing to do on nvidia's part.

Yeah that exclusivity is legal, because it doesn't stop them from selling AMD products lol.  It can be shady as hell but guess what advertising is covered by 1st amendment, these partners are selling nV cards and AMD cards in the same brand.  If nV feels their brand is stronger and the money they put into getting their products out the door and advertising for them should be separate from AMD products, that is their choice, and they "asked" their AIB partners to do the just that separate the two IHV's products to separate lines.  And you can see why I put "asked" in quotes because its not an ask its do it or else.  The or else is they don't sell them graphics chips or reduce the "potential" of benefits (potential in quotes because even prior to the GPP all were negotiated on by a per AIB and so benefits were even on a per event basis).  For nV they don't care who their partners right now.  Their cards will sell regardless of the AIB.

From an AIB point of view, will they be willing to not sell the best graphics cards under their best brand?  They don't want to do that either of course they will use the best they have to sell the best graphics cards on the market because its beneficial for them to do so.  So nV and them coming to a conclusion that the nV cards be under the current best brand they have is logical at this point.

28 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Are we still allowed to like it? :P

Besides, AMD has a pretty good history when it comes to this sort of thing.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

26 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

The only thing I'm going to say about that since it is off topic is, people are right to ask questions. However, people need to step back and wait for things to come to fruition before making accusations and throwing names around as no one understands or knows what is actually laid out.

On topic: This could be a good thing for both NVidia and AMD as it creates and identity for both brands that are more seperated. It could force the consumer to make a more determined decision of what to buy instead of grabbing for [insert big gaming brand here].

You see, you don't understand how marketing and sales work. If there's an established product lineup on the market like ASUS Republic of Gamers for example - people are automatically more likely to buy it over some cheap knock-off like AREZ. It's an older, more recognized brand and this is how business works, sadly.

If companies like ASUS/MSI declined GPP, they would be at a huge disadvantage compared to even less known vendors who did sign up for it due to great benefits in terms of marketing, development, and early-access to new Nvidia GPU chips.

It also discourages potential AIB partners to work with AMD at all. All of that makes it an anti-competitive practice and GPP's rules should be closely reviewed by a group of good lawyers.

11 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Are we still allowed to like it? :P

Besides, AMD has a pretty good history when it comes to this sort of thing.

Yeah, they do and I'm not saying it's a bad thing - I wrote this comment only for people who try to make AMD look like the savior of all gaming after reading news like this one :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

This isn't so bad, saves me the time of reading a product name past the first 2-3 words to find what I'm looking for. Especially seeing as AMD tried screwing with Intel's chipset naming and making that mess all confusing. 

Seems like newegg already had a filter option for stuff like that... Chipset manufacturer... but for other sites like Amazon this will save me time. 

Asus Arez... next

Asus ROG... *Click*

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Nahh Nvidia should be acquitted from everything up to war crimes just because AMD can't compete at the high end.

Its AMD's fault for forcing Nvidia down this line.

A little dramatic and emotion don't ya think?

This isn't like Nazi Germany here.

Yeah AMD can't compete and that is why nV is in the position its in right now.

Look at when there was no competition to Apple's iphone, Apple did what ever they wanted with cellphone companies lol.  And look at the way they treat their partners right now with products......

14 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

This isn't so bad, saves me the time of reading a product name past the first 2-3 words to find what I'm looking for. Especially seeing as AMD tried screwing with Intel's chipset naming and making that mess all confusing. 

Seems like newegg already had a filter option for stuff like that... Chipset manufacturer... but for other sites like Amazon this will save me time. 

Asus Arez... next

Asus ROG... *Click*

agreed the naming along with copy and paste designs is getting ridiculous