PC not turning on after being bumped

messagetyper

After accidentally bumping the left side of my case around the hard drive area, my pc froze and now I can't get it to boot up.

Bump wasn't too strong but I'd say it's enough to give my pc a little shake.

Here's what I got:
-No BIOs, no anything showing up on my screen.
-GPU fan, mouse lighting seems to be working fine.
-Everything seems to be in place, I don't really think that the bump caused anything to move that much.

Would like to know a solution to this and would also like to know if my hard drive data is safe.

pc specs:

i5-4590, stock cooler

750ti

8gb ram

9 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Check all power plugs even if they lock right.

Checked them, the plug for my cpu fan seems to be fine.

Check to make sure your motherboard isn't touching the back of the case.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

UPDATE: CPU fans spin. The entire system shuts itself down a few seconds after I power it up though, and then it just goes back up but nothing still comes out of my screen.

8 minutes ago, messagetyper said:

UPDATE: CPU fans spin. The entire system shuts itself down a few seconds after I power it up though, and then it just goes back up but nothing still comes out of my screen.

Had the issue where my pc did the same thing and it was the back of the motherboard shorting out on the metal of the case.

Spoiler

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

24 minutes ago, Br3tt96 said:

Had the issue where my pc did the same thing and it was the back of the motherboard shorting out on the metal of the case.

I don't think it turns off after the first one though, haven't tried keeping it on for more than a minute.

Any way I can reposition my motherboard?

Honestly,I would suggest taking everything out and reseating everything to make sure there's no short. Other than that,unplug everything from the mobo besides the PSU,RAM and CPU/CPU fan and try to if it will POST without any drives.

11 minutes ago, messagetyper said:

I don't think it turns off after the first one though, haven't tried keeping it on for more than a minute.

Any way I can reposition my motherboard?

Ended up taking my motherboard out and running it on top of a box, and then reinstalled everything back.

Spoiler

Main Rig

Plex Server WIP

Lenovo Legion Laptop

18 minutes ago, Br3tt96 said:

Ended up taking my motherboard out and running it on top of a box, and then reinstalled everything back.

Pretty much what I would suggest as well

21 minutes ago, Astarore said:

Honestly,I would suggest taking everything out and reseating everything to make sure there's no short. Other than that,unplug everything from the mobo besides the PSU,RAM and CPU/CPU fan and try to if it will POST without any drives.

16 minutes ago, Br3tt96 said:

So a reassemble might help I guess?

2 minutes ago, messagetyper said:

So a reassemble might help I guess?

Yup,just to make sure everything is connected properly.If the bump was pretty rough,that could harm the hard drive but making sure everything is connected properly is the first step.

Small update, I tried booting with one stick of ram, nothing. Also,it goes on a loop of turning on, then suddenly turning itself off.

First thing that comes to mind is that the CPU heatsink may have come loose. Or maybe your thermal paste is old and dry, hitting the tower caused thermal contact to break and no longer properly cool the cpu. This results in the cpu overheating and force shutting down in a few seconds to prevent damage from occuring. This happened with an older computer of mine, tried everything but turned out my thermal paste was dry as cardboard, and it was a poor application too :P. Take off the heatsink, clean off the heat spreader, and reapply thermal compound.

If that doesn't work, another thing is that perhaps your PSU went bad? The shock may have been enough to displace a capacitor or cause a short or something. If you have a spare PSU lying around I'd swap that in to see if it fixes it, if it does, you need a new power supply.

7 minutes ago, Golfball_Pro said:

First thing that comes to mind is that the CPU heatsink may have come loose. Or maybe your thermal paste is old and dry, hitting the tower caused thermal contact to break and no longer properly cool the cpu. This results in the cpu overheating and force shutting down in a few seconds to prevent damage from occuring. This happened with an older computer of mine, tried everything but turned out my thermal paste was dry as cardboard, and it was a poor application too :P. Take off the heatsink, clean off the heat spreader, and reapply thermal compound.

If that doesn't work, another thing is that perhaps your PSU went bad? The shock may have been enough to displace a capacitor or cause a short or something. If you have a spare PSU lying around I'd swap that in to see if it fixes it, if it does, you need a new power supply.

Yeah, it's likely that the bump caused something to break/cause a short or maybe even the CPU heatsink coming loose. Forgot to update the OP though, CPU fan started spinning so if that's a solution for the CPU fan not spinning then my bad.

I was using my PC when I bumped it btw. Screen froze so I restarted it. Dunno if it's a PSU problem that I can't turn it back on and that it goes on an on/off loop, with probably around 50 seconds everytime it shuts itself off.

Anyways, my other PSU probably isn't strong enough to power the PC, and I don't have spare thermal paste around so i have to take this to repair.

Looking back at it, If it's looping it could also be a software issue, something might be wrong with your os. At this point it's been a while and you may have already figured it out. If you have access to a working computer, make a bootable linux drive, unplug your os drive, and start it up after changing boot config to boot from usb. If it still loops then it's a hardware issue, if not, time to dust off that windows installation cd.