LED fans start bright them dim

hey guys,

I need some of your help, when I turn on my pc, the front 2 led fans start up on the brightest setting which I like. however, about 2 seconds later, they dim, they don't dim by a mass amount, however it is noticeable. I have only started to notice recently.

I was wondering if there was anyway of controlling the brightness.

thanks guys.

btw they are 120mm red corsair fans

25 minutes ago, Charlie18 said:

hey guys,

I need some of your help, when I turn on my pc, the front 2 led fans start up on the brightest setting which I like. however, about 2 seconds later, they dim, they don't dim by a mass amount, however it is noticeable. I have only started to notice recently.

thanks guys.

yes, they are tied to the fan speed. so they are super bright at boot cause when you boot your fans spin at max for a bit, then go to whatever you set them to. So, use fan control through your motherboard, an external controller, or even speedfan to control the speed (and therefore brightness)

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

26 minutes ago, Charlie18 said:

hey guys,

thanks guys.

Maybe your system isn't generating the power needed any more? How new is your power supply?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I'm going to guess that fans are 3pin and connected to mobo. @tarfeef101 is correct, if you have 3pins connected to mobo, they will get dim as mobo supplies lower operating voltages. There aren't any nice ways to sort this. You either have to get used to dimming when speeds are changed, or connect fans directly to PSU and have them running at full brightness and speed. Newer RGB fans have own power cable for LEDs so they aren't depending on power. Also PWM LED fans would receive full 12V all the time as fans are controlled via PWM.

36 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Maybe your system isn't generating the power needed any more? How new is your power supply?

This is just garbage. Fans are among the devices using least power on PC. CPU alone uses more. Any drives would use more. GPU uses more. One of those would show signs of PSU issues first.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

24 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

This is just garbage. Fans are among the devices using least power on PC. CPU alone uses more. Any drives would use more. GPU uses more. One of those would show signs of PSU issues first.

I figured as much (not using much power at all) but I see a LOT of posts here with people using questionable power supplies, so I thought I'd ask about the quality/newness of it.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Shant i just highet the max power on the power supply? Or would that not work 

1 hour ago, Charlie18 said:

The problem probably has to do with the fan speed you're running the fans at and nothing to do with the psu.

You'll have to raise the fan speed if you want the leds to be brighter. If their connected to your motherboard, there should be fan settings in the bios.

Make sure to post or quote a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, Charlie18 said:

Nope, the brightness of the lights has nothing to do with the power your fans are receiving, they are getting enough and are operating correctly. Your issue is with the speed at which the fans are spinning. The way these fans work is that the faster the fans are spinning the brighter the lights are on it. A niche little gimmick if i do say so myself, but that's your situation. If you want the lights to be at max brightness you need your fans to be running at max speed. Although I wouldn't recommend it as it will cause them to make quite a racket whenever they're active. Your PSU is fine and doing all it can. Fan speed is your target. 

I'll try help you out. I'm partial to certain vendors but I'll never pretend to know something I don't. Stay cool. 

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The problem probably has to do with the fan speed you're running the fans at and nothing to do with the psu.

You'll have to raise the fan speed if you want the leds to be brighter. If their connected to your motherboard, there should be fan settings in the bios.

Make sure to post or quote a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

I cannot access the bio after many attempts however i have msi afterburner and I will try to turn up the fans through that 

2 hours ago, Charlie18 said:

I cannot access the bio after many attempts however i have msi afterburner and I will try to turn up the fans through that 

What motherboard do you have and how are you trying to get into the bios? Have you accessed the bios before and / or changed any settings? 

Unless there's been a major update k haven't heard of, Msi Afterburner doesn't control any fans that aren't on the graphics card. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

19 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What motherboard do you have and how are you trying to get into the bios? Have you accessed the bios before and / or changed any settings? 

Unless there's been a major update k haven't heard of, Msi Afterburner doesn't control any fans that aren't on the graphics card. 

Its a gigabyte motherboard but i am unsure of the specifics. I will check in a minute.

I attempt to access the bios by shutting down while pressing shift and launching up holding f2.

However my Windows needs to be activated for some reason and its genuine Windows 10 so maybe that has something to do with it?

3 hours ago, Charlie18 said:

Its a gigabyte motherboard but i am unsure of the specifics. I will check in a minute.

I attempt to access the bios by shutting down while pressing shift and launching up holding f2.

Try spamming the Delete key during boot up instead.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:29 PM, WoodenMarker said:

Try spamming the Delete key during boot up instead.

nothing happened, booted  up like normal

What motherboard do you have?

18 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What motherboard do you have?

gigabyte z97x gaming g1

8 hours ago, Charlie18 said:

gigabyte z97x gaming g1

Is FastBoot enabled? If so, try this: https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/FAQ/2739

Have you tried clearing the CMOS or booting with a different ram configuration?

The shortcut to access the bios could also be F9.

16 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

it doesn't show me the uefi option

16 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

when I press F9, my monitor displays no signal.

when I don't press F9, it turns on straight away

I'm a bit of a noob to pc and the underworld of it haha. would you care to tell me how to do that? sort lol

7 hours ago, Charlie18 said:

I'm a bit of a noob to pc and the underworld of it haha. would you care to tell me how to do that? sort lol

To clear CMOS: 

If you want to change the ram configuration, you can remove one of the sticks and boot without it. It should ask for a prompt of whether or not you'd want to change any settings due to the change in ram.

To clear CMOS: 

If you want to change the ram configuration, you can remove one of the sticks and boot without it. It should ask for a prompt of whether or not you'd want to change any settings due to the change in ram.

does this interfere with my computer files, like does it delete documents and my saved stuff?

4 hours ago, Charlie18 said:

does this interfere with my computer files, like does it delete documents and my saved stuff?

No, it restores the motherboard settings to default.