Importing Split Prores Files into Premiere Seamlessly

On a recent film project, the main camera used recorded to prores, but split the files into 4gb segments for the filesystem. Normally, this would not be an issue, but Premiere does not detect these files as a sequence, as it does with CDNG, Redcode, and other formats that record to multiple files.

The files are from an Odyssey 7q and do use custom naming, so the names are "Productionname-camera-####". I suspect this may be causing the issue, but I have imported such files previously with no issue.

I am aware that I can import the files and combine them in a timeline, but with the amount of media I am working with, and the inconvenience of not being able to seamlessly use an EDL to color the sequence in Resolve, that is not a feasible option. I know I can drop the clips into media encoder and transcode them into a single file, but the time involved and the second round of encoding are not ideal options either. 

Does anyone know how to get premiere to see these files as the sequence they are? -- Media browser does not identify them as prores/quicktime, and only lets the "folder" option be selected for media type.

2018-04-17 00_22_11-April 4th.png

2018-04-17 00_22_01-6TH_FS_0078.png

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

did you try putting all video files into one folder with their names in sequence and importing in premiere as a sequence or batch?

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

18 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

did you try putting all video files into one folder with their names in sequence and importing in premiere as a sequence or batch?

Yeah, as in the screenshots, the names are already in a sequence, and I used the standard options for sequence importing. 

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

18 minutes ago, Infernal Burrito said:

Yeah, as in the screenshots, the names are already in a sequence, and I used the standard options for sequence importing. 

did you move all the video files, not folders, into a single folder? have you try using the media browser tab?

it looks possible for avchd format

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

1 hour ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

did you move all the video files, not folders, into a single folder? have you try using the media browser tab?

it looks possible for avchd format

Yeah, I've seen the vid. The same method the video shows is and has always been working for me with R3D media and DNXHD, it's just not complying with the prores. My new theory is that it may be because I am running Windows working with Prores. 

3 hours ago, Infernal Burrito said:

Yeah, I've seen the vid. The same method the video shows is and has always been working for me with R3D media and DNXHD, it's just not complying with the prores. My new theory is that it may be because I am running Windows working with Prores. 

is also possible combining of prores files is not supported.  i google "import segmented prores clips" and found this

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2300616

maybe you csn find a solution in other discussions, maybe the solution for you is found here

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index.php/t-326782.html

someone say Convergent Design makes a prores import and stitching tool

19 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

is also possible combining of prores files is not supported.  i google "import segmented prores clips" and found this

maybe you csn find a solution in other discussions, maybe the solution for you is found here

Thanks for the tip on convergent design software. Turns out they have a utility to merge prores and DNX clips from the Odyssey 7q recorder https://www.convergent-design.com/software-utilities/category/6-software-utilities.html

19 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

EDIT: Clip merger from convergent design is for when the solid state drives are put in RAID, for DNG recording. It does not allow for prores merging. The word from Convergent Design is that the NLE should import the clips as a sequence, from what I can tell.

Double EDIT: 

The workaround for Convergent Design Prores & DNX media is the transfer utility from Convergent Design, not the clip merger. 

Transferring using the CD utility mergers the MOV's into one file.

• 2 weeks later...

If that doesn't work or you just want to cut down on the steps, you could nestle sequences. 

Basically import the individual clips and line them up in a sequence(you can do this easily by selecting all the clips and dragging them onto the timeline). 

Then create a 2nd sequence to be your "Master" sequence and import the 1st sequence like it is a piece of footage. You will be able to manipulated it as if it was a singe regular piece of footage. 

I do this all the time when I have to stitch together multiple shots/cameras.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2018 at 8:46 AM, Infernal Burrito said:

Double EDIT: 

The workaround for Convergent Design Prores & DNX media is the transfer utility from Convergent Design, not the clip merger. 

Transferring using the CD utility mergers the MOV's into one file.

Good to know