AMD and Scuderia Ferrari Partnership

Ryujin2003

Keeping the AMD machine going....

image.png.5527c5b19bdd1bfe7f57453d79b43501.png

So, First the serious part:

is proud to present a multi-year sponsorship with Scuderia Ferrari on the occasion of the Chinese Grand Prix, held on the Shanghai Circuit. According to this agreement, effective since the beginning of the 2018 season, the AMD logo is visible on the nose of the SF71H F1, as well as on the arm of the pit-crew overall and the official trucks. As part of the collaboration AMD will also be making available their technology portfolio to Scuderia Ferrari.

“The AMD passion for high-performance computing products perfectly matches with Scuderia Ferrari’s dedication to high-performance racing leadership,” said John Taylor, chief marketing officer at AMD. “Scuderia Ferrari is a world-class innovator and brand. We are excited to partner with them in linking our high-performance brands to accelerate the strong momentum around our products.”

Super short article, but has some good bits of information. Apparently AMD and is partnering with Team Red of F1. This will do well to help AMD with getting into automotive tech with their competition Nvidia. The difference? Nvidia has GPU's being used for AI cars, which lets face it, is probably further down the road than AI enthusiasts would like. Formula 1 does a lot for technological advancement for production cars, so if AMD is able to get their hands in on some technological developments that will be able to go mainstream in the future, that could definitely bode well for them.

As many of you probably know, Formula 1 cars are not AI, so I would imagine many of the technological assets in their portfolio would be utilized for possibly machine learning for increasing car and driver efficiency. This report is rather vague; however, another article discussed another reason for AMD's integration with Team Red. For any Americans who watch football, then you've probably seen the commercials about Amazon and Intel using AI for better sports analysis. It appears AMD could be doing this for the automotive sports. The majority of F1 focuses around a car being driven around by a human driver, and constant feedback and analysis is needed by teams in order to gain an advantage during the race. AMD's partnership with Ferrari could be very beneficial to both sides.

What are your thoughts about this partnership? Do you think this could be AMD trying to expand beyond the CPU and GPU market and become relevant in other avenues as well?

On the bright side, this was announced at the Chinese Grand Prix, and Team Red won. Ferarri has

Daniel Ricciardo won the 2018 Chinese Grand Prix today for Red Bull. It was his 6th F1 race win. And the 56th for Red Bull. It was his first podium and win in China

AMD is plowing tons of sponsorship money into the Formula One at the moment, and – although it's very early days in the season – Ferrari appear to have put it to good work, winning two out of the first three races.

Now for the funny... If AMD hasn't had enough bad publicity....

Martin Brundle left red-faced after Chinese Grand Prix snafu

Lisa Su
Brundle and Su ... Not a particularly Zen moment

Some of us love watching Formula One for the prangs and crashes – but we don't really expect them to happen before the race even begins.

Yet, that's the only way to describe a live TV interview at the Chinese Formula One Grand Prix on Sunday, which went embarrassingly wrong.

Former Formula One driver and Sky Sports telly presenter Martin Brundle was doing his usual walk down the starting grid before the race, interviewing drivers and teams along the way live in front of a camera crew. After running short of someone to chat to, he spotted someone who looked interesting.

"Excuse me ma'am, do you speak English?" Brundle asked. However, he was unwittingly talking to Lisa Su, president and CEO of AMD, who speaks excellent English, thanks in part to gaining a masters and doctorate degrees in electrical engineering from MIT and 46 years living in the US.

You know, AMD. One of the sport's top sponsors.

"Yes, I do. I'm with AMD so we're sponsoring the Ferrari car," she responded. "Er, OK, yes," Brundle stuttered, before cutting back to the studio.

If I'm not mistaken they used to sponsor them in the past but had to stop because.....you know.....AMD was basically broke for a bit

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Ferrari actually does a lot of data mining from both their F1 and some of their road cars. Basically to gather data from various sensors on how they perform in high performance scenarios. There is a lot of modelling and machine learning going on to figure out how to optimize things...

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

If I'm not mistaken they used to sponsor them in the past but had to stop because.....you know.....AMD was basically broke for a bit

Yeah, I got worried when the one report stated that  AMD was "plowing tons of sponsorship money".... Because, I didn't know they had any. I mean, it got so bad, that if you saw Su walking through a grocery store and picking up a pack of gum, you'd have to question her spending choices...

13 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

What are your thoughts about this partnership? Do you think this could be AMD trying to expand beyond the CPU and GPU market and become relevant in other avenues as well?

No. it's sponsorship, money and computers in return for space in the car. It's not the first time either, they had it for years. See for example Kimi Räikkönen racing to the 2007 world title:

Spoiler

kimiraikkonen_ferrari_magny-cours_20071.

On the bright side, this was announced at the Chinese Grand Prix, and Team Red won.

Nope, we failed :( Screwed up the all-red first row and barely got Kimi on third place. Red Bull-Renault's Ricciardo took the victory.

Edit: you can track it all the way back to 2001:

Spoiler

d5dac73f4555332187f0106cab3fcb75.jpg

It was basically a non-stop sponsor between 2001 and 2012.

Edited by SpaceGhostC2C
F1 history :P

10 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

No. it's sponsorship, money and computers in return for space in the car. It's not the first time either, they had it for years. See for example Kimi Räikkönen racing to the 2007 world title:

Reveal hidden contents

kimiraikkonen_ferrari_magny-cours_20071.

Nope, we failed :( Screwed up the all-red first row and barely got Kimi on third place. Red Bull-Renault's Ricciardo took the victory.

Edit: you can track it all the way back to 2001:

Reveal hidden contents

d5dac73f4555332187f0106cab3fcb75.jpg

It was basically a non-stop sponsor between 2001 and 2012.

Ahh. I follow F1 a bit, but not that much.

Though, they do appear to get a front seat ticket now.

Since everything AMD seems to do gets countered, I guess I'll wait and see if Intel and Redbull join up?

4 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Since everything AMD seems to do gets countered, I guess I'll wait and see if Intel and Redbull join up?

Well, they did get Sauber for some years, around 10 years ago:

Spoiler

06VA_BMW-Launch-0672-2-A4.jpg

Digging into it, I found that the Sauber deal happened immediately after this news (just found, don't ask me about it):

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1019242/intel-furious-at-amd-formula-one-deal-claim

15 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Well, they did get Sauber for some years, around 10 years ago:

Reveal hidden contents

06VA_BMW-Launch-0672-2-A4.jpg

Digging into it, I found that the Sauber deal happened immediately after this news (just found, don't ask me about it):

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1019242/intel-furious-at-amd-formula-one-deal-claim

That's epic. The wording is crazy.. Like Intel is incandescent... Like a lightbulb? They are LIT AF? I'll definitely look into this. Intel and NVidia try to bury AMD every chance they get, and it's like they take it personally whenever AMD does something.

3 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

That's epic. The wording is crazy.. Like Intel is incandescent... Like a lightbulb? They are LIT AF? I'll definitely look into this. Intel and NVidia try to bury AMD every chance they get, and it's like they take it personally whenever AMD does something.

Don't think you need to over analyze it, Intel is probably just pissed because they had planned to sponsor Mclaren.

Now when you have a Ferrari zipping around winning races with an AMD logo... obviously it devalues the Intel brand if it's in the same race at a lower standing.

Just now, Humbug said:

Don't think you need to over analyze it, Intel is probably just pissed because they had planned to sponsor Mclaren.

It was pissed, because they had planned... remember it's a 2005 article about AMD's VP appointed tech advisor for FIA or something like that.

Yep. Bulldozer and its shitty derivatives really did do a number on AMD. This is definitely a good sign as to how well AMD's doing now that they have Ryzen.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I remember seeing Lisa Su and then Martin butchered it xD.  It's great that team read is teaming up with team red. They used to sponsor them until around 2012 I believe but then obviously, AMD did nothing but waste money on marketing up until 2017 lol

Well it's not the first time. ;)

f2004_1721.thumb.jpg.0a9271b3d251289d22d7a3e73c681553.jpg

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

6 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Apparently AMD and is partnering with Team Red

Well duh... ;)

Had to lol.

I hope this is more than just a sponsorship deal though. If they actually start using AMD hardware then an F1 team can definitely bank roll massive improvements to APIs and tool sets which is the main thing holding back AMD hardware from actually being used in datacenters.

F1 teams want the best and if they don't like something or are limited by it crash will get thrown at it to make it better, and they need it done fast,

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I hope this is more than just a sponsorship deal though. If they actually start using AMD hardware then an F1 team can definitely bank roll massive improvements to APIs and tool sets which is the main thing holding back AMD hardware from actually being used in datacenters.

F1 teams want the best and if they don't like something or are limited by it crash will get thrown at it to make it better, and they need it done fast,

What could they use AMD's hardware for?

6 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Boiling water, heating the room, discharging UPS batteries, load testing power supplies, door stops, paper weights, jewelry. Heaps of things :) 

8 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Actual serious answer plenty of things. Design workstations, data analytics etc stuff like that. Nothing directly in the cars. F1 teams run super advanced fluid dynamics simulations, they make aircraft that don't take off. All of this is currently powered by Intel and Nvidia.

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA5-8650ENW.pdf

This is quite interesting, I'm happy they have the capitol to sponsor.

I am going to get flak for this but here goes nothing. If they want to gain attention through sponsor ship, sponsor in NASCAR. No one (arguably) pays more attention to what is on the cars. Not to mention that everyone and (I can say this as I watch NASCAR as a religion) Billy Bob and Jolene will become highly interested in who this "AMD"guy is. Remember there are actually people that don't even know what Intel is and if they said "HEY, we use AMD to power our cars" boom you just gained millions of more customers. Just a thought though.

10 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

If they want to gain attention through sponsor ship, sponsor in NASCAR. No one (arguably) pays more attention to what is on the cars.

Doesn't F1 have a much bigger audience across more countries?

9 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Yes, however the influence to each of their audiences is different. NASCAR plays a HUGE influence on its audience and if AMD was recommended by someone in NASCAR, you can guarantee they are going to stand by that. For example people will by edelbrock just because they are a sponsor of NASCAR. Heck, CESSNA saw an uplift in sales just by sponsoring NASCAR. Basically, I don't get the feeling that F1's audience is as influenced by the sponsors. However, I can say that I could be entirely wrong in regards to F1.

Now excuse me while I head to Lowes while driving in my Chevrolet with a bud light, to go get a can of DuPont paint. I will most likely stop and get fuel at a Sunoco gas station and get can of monster.

10 minutes ago, Humbug said:

During 2017, 352.3 million unique viewers tuned their TV set into F1 programming at least once 

It could be Nascar. A decade ago the sport emerged as an unlikely challenger to pro football’s small-screen primacy, attracting nearly 20 million viewers to the 2006 Daytona 500. But Nascar has lost more than 45% of its audience since then, according to Nielsen.

58 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Well, Nascar is only driving around a rather small oval track....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Well, Nascar is only driving around a rather small oval track....

they-took-er-jerbs.jpg

Still, America is great at making fundamentally boring sports/events in to amazing spectacles.