First Video Game made with Blender/Python

Golden-Wolf

My goal is to make a quality game using Blender and the Python programming language. How would I exactly start making my game? Where are some good modeling tutorials? What are some good sites for Python? How would I make my own tools or lines of code to make the game unique? (Don't tell me to go use Unity and Unreal. I have chosen the Blender game engine I know it is limited.)

Try this guy’s series to get started:

My intentions are to not make the most graphic intensive game, but to simply use 3-d voxel graphics. It is going to mostly likely be a unique platformer that is inspired by Super Mario (on the NES) and FEZ.

First release will be on steam.

Thank you fpo for the series.

I literally just watched a video on how Blender was killing their game engine. So you might not want to use it for that. Also if you're going voxel graphics I'd suggest MagicaVoxel over Blender as it is way easier to use.

I am using MagicVoxel. There is a modified Blender (UPBGE) I use that is dedicated to the Blender Game Engine and improving it. 

Codecademy has a decent intro to Python.

For Blender modeling, Andrew Price has good free tutorials. CGCookie has tons of Blender training and is a lot more complete than Blender Guru's, but not free. Some of their old stuff is up on youtube. The UI has changed a lot since those were recorded but most of the basic concepts haven't changed.

18 hours ago, Golden-Wolf said:

My intentions are to not make the most graphic intensive game, but to simply use 3-d voxel graphics. It is going to mostly likely be a unique platformer that is inspired by Super Mario (on the NES) and FEZ.

Okay. Still, Python is a bad choice but that being said I wish you good luck! Are you going to apply a pattern to manage your code? I did a bit of work on a 3d multiplayer game myself (Java based, it was a long time ago [it wasn't minecraft]) and there was a lot of code to manage. There seems to be a decent amount of Python game libraries out there, you should go check some out.

I am still learning Python. But say I programmed the entire game in Blender game engine in Python then if I raised enough money on kickstarter would I be able to transfer it to the Unity game engine and edit some of the python code into C# to run better. Sorry for the run-on sentence.

On 4/17/2018 at 6:18 PM, Golden-Wolf said:

I don’t know how to program voxels buttttttttt GameMaker (that’s what it’s called) has the ability to do that in GML. (Proprietary language made to be easy to learn) 

glad i could help! Pm me for any general game development guidance.

edit: 

python can be compiled for better performance.