US and UK warn that Russia has been hacking routers worldwide

I wonder how many of these attacks could have been prevented if the US and UK did not collect exploits without telling the affected manufacturers, because they want to be able to do things like spy on people or do their own cyber attacks. It's almost as if willingly letting your citizens be unprotected is a bad idea...

And to everyone who uses pfSense, please remember that network security is 99% about how you configure it. You could buy a 100,000 dollar firewall, and it won't protect you any better than the all-in-one router your ISP gave you unless it is configured correctly.

1 minute ago, hobobobo said:

Tbh, i have no idea, first time seing such image. Ive been seeing some reports on "russia prepairing massive botnet attacks on the internet" for months now and, since its the first time seing this stuff, figured my moscow ip adress is second-rate now.

Very strange. I am somewhat ignorant on the subject, but aren't websites supposed to be able to tell the difference between a bot and a normal person? 

Seems very unfair to lock normal people out. 

Just now, Deus Voltage said:

Very strange. I am somewhat ignorant on the subject, but aren't websites supposed to be able to tell the difference between a bot and a normal person? 

Nah, its easy to spoof regular user activity, all the info the site is getting is browser, ip, cookies. Perhaps cloudflare or anyone of the kind can differentiate better with their records of user activity and ips. Whats retarded - blocking russian ips. Its just signaling "look we are doing something" while any competent attacker can use ips from all around the globe, if you have the will and resources you can literally attack from every country on earth.

21 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Wow,LOL at least get a router you can flash WRT onto but I either want a PfSense router or a Ubiquiti AP because normal consumer stuff sucks.

Yeah I learned a while ago consumer stuff is junk pfSense is amazing and has a lot of settings for security so just make sure you know what your doing so you don't mess up your network security. Also you would want to get a pfSense router and a Ubiquiti AP because they have to go together you hook the AP up to your router. 

2 minutes ago, hobobobo said:

Nah, its easy to spoof regular user activity, all the info the site is getting is browser, ip, cookies. Perhaps cloudflare or anyone of the kind can differentiate better with their records of user activity and ips. Whats retarded - blocking russian ips. Its just signaling "look we are doing something" while any competent attacker can use ips from all around the globe, if you have the will and resources you can literally attack from every country on earth.

Very strange indeed. Is the fact that you are from Russia being considered and subsequently flagged by their algorithms? I also still don't understand the purpose behind blocking your IP. What do they gain in return? Very bizarre behavior on their part.

I am guessing that if this happened to you, and because it hasn't occurred to you before, that this has the potential of increasing in frequency in the future. 

But hey, I am no expert.

can't we have a break on russians? don't they have more important problems to solve, like, i don't know, their poverty issues?

feels like they'll end up puting obligatory military training again in denmark at this rate. Ffs, don't want to go do it. hope i'm too old for that crap.

4 minutes ago, Deus Voltage said:

If @hobobobo's WAN IP is dynamic he may have acquired an IP previously used to spam a network, resulting in them having an IP which is denied access for a while. I would however guess it would be an error - I have my doubts the Kremlin would launch a cyber attack on a generic website.

10 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I wonder how many of these attacks could have been prevented if the US and UK did not collect exploits without telling the affected manufacturers, because they want to be able to do things like spy on people or do their own cyber attacks. It's almost as if willingly letting your citizens be unprotected is a bad idea...

Russia would do the same thing - It would not be possible to patch all routers and other vulnerable devices without risking disclosure of the vulnerability.

The entire system is tilted towards hoarding exploits - find an exploit and hope the opponent doesn't. If you patch you loose a potentially valuable weapon and make all your unpatched systems(of which there will be many) vulnerable. If you hoard you have a weapon you can potentially use, can prepare patches for and may be able to identify before widespread harm occurs.

Just now, Deus Voltage said:

Very strange indeed. Is the fact that you are from Russia being considered and subsequently flagged by their algorithms? I also still don't understand the purpose behind blocking your IP. What do they gain in return? Very bizarre behavior on their part.

I am guessing that if this happened to you, and because it hasn't occurred to you before, that this has the potential of increasing in frequency in the future. 

But hey, I am no expert.

Thats the thing, no clue myself. Was just following on the link from another thread to see ryzen vs coffeelake clock for clock and this thing popped up. If this starts to occur more frequently on the sites i actually visit - gonna have to get a vpn. At least blackberry services will work for my phone :D But if shit is seriously hitting the fan - even vpns might be useless, if someone for some reason compiles mac adress list or something. Dunno nearly enough to speculate, but i hope that is not technicly feasable)

4 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

If @hobobobo's WAN IP is dynamic he may have acquired an IP previously used to spam a network, resulting in them having an IP which is denied access for a while. I would however guess it would be an error - I have my doubts the Kremlin would launch a cyber attack on a generic website.

Sadlt, its static. Used to pay for it to host gaming servers and at some point was just given it for free as a loyalty perk. Perhaps its shared

1 hour ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Hey if we get lucky maybe they will also take down "The great firewall of China". That would be icing on the not-so-delicious-and-scary-awesome cake.

Russia and China are quite close, politically speaking. Russia would never attack China in that way.

For years we've heard about GCHQ & The NSA hacking network infrastructure equipment and installing back doors in it all so they can spy on us. Suddenly they start to warn us that Russia might have hacked our equipment and might use it against us.

Coincidence?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Russia and China are quite close, politically speaking. Russia would never attack China in that way.

For years we've heard about GCHQ & The NSA hacking network infrastructure equipment and installing back doors in it all so they can spy on us. Suddenly they start to warn us that Russia might have hacked our equipment and might use it against us.

Coincidence?

Yeah, they might, but you are right it is unlikely, unless they wrote some erroneous code by mistake.  

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Perhaps this might have some connections to this

Jeff Bezos is not the last man and Amazons services are used for alot of things. On the other hand, Telegram still works :D

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

And....the US and UK government probably have departments *that* have probably been doing the same

It's not a probably, since that's been a known fact for many years already - at least concerning the US:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/photos-of-an-nsa-upgrade-factory-show-cisco-router-getting-implant/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/cia-has-been-hacking-into-wi-fi-routers-for-years-leaked-documents-show/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4617244/Leaked-documents-reveal-CIA-hacked-Wi-Fi-routers.html

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/06/advanced-cia-firmware-turns-home-routers-into-covert-listening-posts/

https://www.rt.com/viral/394405-wikileaks-elsa-vault7-cia/

http://washingtonsblog.com/2013/06/microsoft-programmed-in-nsa-backdoor-in-windows-by-1999.html

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/02/how-omnipotent-hackers-tied-to-the-nsa-hid-for-14-years-and-were-found-at-last/

We also now know, thanks to WikiLeaks' Vault 7 releases of CIA documents, that the CIA routinely hacks and then leaves traces to make their hacks appear as though they were done by Russia, or China. So, anything that looks like it was Russia, or China, or which is pinned on Russia by the USA... could very well be a USA false flag. And the USA has routinely done false flags / false narratives for the past 3/4 of a century - pretty much every single time that there's a conflict between the US and somebody else, the US had created false narrative upon false narratives against its opponent:

Gulf of Tonkin

Cold War plots to drown Cuban refugees and blame it on the USSR

Cold War plots to conduct terrorist attacks on US cities and blame it on Cuba

Kuwait incubator babies

Washington DC anthrax attacks (blamed on both Afghanistan and Iraq)

Iraq WMDs

Iran nuclear weapons program

Everything that was claimed about Libya

Assad chemical weapons

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

3 hours ago, Shorty88jr said:

Not at but kinda interesting that government agencies are giving so many warnings of a cyber attack before it happens makes me think its going to be absolutely massive. I know they typically will say something like they think its going to happen but this seems like another level of certainty. 

This level of alert is probably too just give a heads up to all government and civilian officials to tighten ship ASAP.

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

No. I'm shocked that they'd happily hack consumer devices and businesses when their beef is with the US government.

Yoy can never have too many bots.

3 hours ago, TheSLSAMG said:

Any way to tell if the Ruskis got into my router? Is Josephi Krakowski going to try to sell me Flex Tape or is it more serious?

But in all seriousness, hopefully there's a way to tell that doesn't go over the heads of average users.

Reveal hidden contents

If the use of the word "ruski" is offensive, I apologize. I do not mean for it to be so, and have nothing against your average Russian. The Russian government on the other hand, I got a bone to pick with.

I haven't seen Johnny Starr yet so at least the states haven't gotten into mine. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

There's almost no point in talking about this.  Every time a story rises (even when there is undeniable evidence) people just dismiss it and start rambling on about fake news, false flags, false news, exploits, they do it too, NSA backdoors etc etc etc etc...   Forget the fact innocent people die everyday in gas attacks, I want to argue a moot point I have no actual knowledge of and rely on media reports that I only just claimed were fake news in the last thread.  9_9

People are abhorrent. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

23 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

It's not a probably, since that's been a known fact for many years already - at least concerning the US:

We also now know that the CIA routinely hacks and then leaves traces to make their hacks appear as though they were done by Russia. So, anything that looks like it was Russia, or which is pinned on Russia by the USA... could just as well have actually been by the USA.

Any country part of the "eyes" alliance or whatever all do the same thing, you can put blame on the NSA and dig up tinfoil conspiracy theories but this warning of Russia cyber attacking again is pretty obvious with the tension between Russia and the US and nothing new, China does the same. Easier to hack or botnet the public instead of attacking the government.

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

There's almost no point in talking about this.  Every time a story rises (even when there is undeniable evidence) people just dismiss it and start rambling on about fake news, false flags, false news, exploits, they do it too, NSA backdoors etc etc etc etc...   Forget the fact innocent people die everyday in gas attacks, I want to argue a moot point I have no actual knowledge of and rely on media reports that I only just claimed were fake news in the last thread.  9_9

People are abhorrent. 

I arrived at this same conclusion a lot later than I probably should have.  Now I just save my breath.  

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

Any country part of the "eyes" alliance or whatever all do the same thing, you can put blame on the NSA and dig up tinfoil conspiracy theories but this warning of Russia cyber attacking again is pretty obvious with the tension between Russia and the US and nothing new, China does the same. Easier to hack or botnet the public instead of attacking the government.

If you think it's conspiracy that the US has been hacking people's routers for years, then offer an explanation for why you think it is that every tech news site reported on it, and where the CIA documents confirming it came from.

You're suggesting a conspiracy theory in a vain attempt to discredit what isn't a conspiracy theory, but is the full truth: The US is, and has been hacking routers in the real sense for many years.

Sure, other countries are likely also doing it. I'm not disputing that. And the warning against Russia doing the same could be valid - though it could also be bogus, considering the US' track record for false flags and false narratives, and the fact that it's known that the US tries to frame Russia for the USA's own hacks.

Could it make sense that Russia is doing this precisely because of current tensions? Well, could it not also make sense that the USA would be making extra effort to frame Russia because of current tensions? Both are possible.

Also, 'It could make sense there it is true' is neither rationale, or true. And I'm not denying the possibility of the OP article claim. But a part of any allegation against Russia or a geopolitical rival of the US, coming from the US, has to include acknowledgement that the US lies about all of its rivals, and commits false flags to frame its rivals - no less so in the tech sector.

Additionally, where is the particular significance that Russia might be doing this to Western audiences, when it's known for a fact that the USA (and you claim also the 5 eyes) are doing this to Western audiences? Who is more likely to use information against Western audiences: Their own governments, or Russia?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Okay, so what do they want us to do?

Bomb Syria some more and eventually bomb Iran?

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

13 minutes ago, Kamina said:

Okay, so what do they want us to do?

Bomb Syria some more and eventually bomb Iran?

https://imgflip.com/i/28ilyd

Apparently that's the answer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Joke is on the russians. I have no home internet, nor is any of my (quite old) networking gear powered on. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I've been using tomato for my router. Seems to be running great. Not sure if Russians like tomatoes or not.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Better buy a gaming router yo. :D

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |