US and UK warn that Russia has been hacking routers worldwide

So Russia is about to lunch a massive cyber attack after the attacks on Syria by the US and its allies by using compromised devices.

This morning, reports surfaced that UK Prime Minister Theresa May has been briefed on possible incoming Russian-based cyberattack that could lead to the release of compromising information about the country's lawmakers. But the threat has been expanded beyond gaining leverage on politicians. UK cyber intelligence agency NCSC, the FBI and the DHS have jointly accused Russian-based attackers of engaging a campaign for months trying to compromise routers, switches and firewalls around the world to hijack the Internet's infrastructure.

Russia has been hacking into routers and other network equipment for a few months now and its feared that it will soon use those hacked devices to launch a massive cyber attack to leak tons of data to the world or use it for other nefarious purposes. 

State-sponsored Russian hackers are actively seeking to hijack essential internet hardware, US and UK intelligence agencies say.

The UK's National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), the FBI and the US Department of Homeland Security issued a joint alert warning of a global campaign.

The alert details methods used to compromise the networking equipment used to move traffic across the net.

This could be used be used to mount a future offensive, it warned.
In a press conference about the alert, White House cyber-security co-ordinator Rob Joyce said the US and its allies had "high confidence" that Russia was behind the "broad campaign".

Intelligence gathered by the US and UK suggested that millions of machines directing data around the net were being targeted, he said.

Compromised devices were used to look at data passing through them, added Mr Joyce. Attackers also sought to undermine the firewalls and intrusion detection systems organisations used to spot malicious traffic before it reached users

Depending on the scope of things and what their purpose is this could shape up to be bigger than the DYN attack in 2016. Things like this are the reason that I use pfSense to harden my network security and lessen the amount of ways my network can be exploited by getting rid of crappy off the shelf router security systems and horribly slow security patches. 

Quote 1 source: https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/16/us-uk-warn-russia-hacked-routers-worldwide/

Quote 2 source: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43788338 

3 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Anyone surprised? 

Not at but kinda interesting that government agencies are giving so many warnings of a cyber attack before it happens makes me think its going to be absolutely massive. I know they typically will say something like they think its going to happen but this seems like another level of certainty. 

Any way to tell if the Ruskis got into my router? Is Josephi Krakowski going to try to sell me Flex Tape or is it more serious?

But in all seriousness, hopefully there's a way to tell that doesn't go over the heads of average users.

Spoiler

If the use of the word "ruski" is offensive, I apologize. I do not mean for it to be so, and have nothing against your average Russian. The Russian government on the other hand, I got a bone to pick with.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

7 minutes ago, Shorty88jr said:

So Russia is about to lunch a massive cyber attack after the attacks on Syria by the US and its allies by using compromised devices.

Russia has been hacking into routers and other network equipment for a few months now and its feared that it will soon use those hacked devices to launch a massive cyber attack to leak tons of data to the world or use it for other nefarious purposes. 

Depending on the scope of things and what their purpose is this could shape up to be bigger than the DYN attack in 2016. Things like this are the reason that I use pfSense to harden my network security and lessen the amount of ways my network can be exploited by getting rid of crappy off the shelf router security systems and horribly slow security patches. 

Quote 1 source: https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/16/us-uk-warn-russia-hacked-routers-worldwide/

Well... Sounds like now would be a good time to secure all of your online data and find a good VPN like PIA, because this sounds like it is going to be a load of fun.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

And....the US and UK government probably have departments *that* have probably been doing the same

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

8 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Well... Sounds like now would be a good time to secure all of your online data and find a good VPN like PIA, because this sounds like it is going to be a load of fun.

Time to watch the world burn trial by fire firewall

giphy.gif

17 minutes ago, Shorty88jr said:

Is because you no rush B! 

I don't have much to say other than...

Spoiler

screen-shot-2015-10-21-at-7-51-12-pm-1.j

14 minutes ago, Shorty88jr said:

Not at but kinda interesting that government agencies are giving so many warnings of a cyber attack before it happens  

Well, government agencies like to stick to a cohesive narrative...

12 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

But what happens if your VPN is compromised by Russia? Where is your god now?

1 minute ago, Shorty88jr said:

giphy.gif

Hey if we get lucky maybe they will also take down "The great firewall of China". That would be icing on the not-so-delicious-and-scary-awesome cake.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, GoodBytes said:

But what happens if your VPN is compromised by Russia? Where is your god now?

I never said they were impenetrable, they just make a good extra layer of defense, and they may be able to reach sites that would be otherwise unreachable. It's like having a BIOS switch on your graphics card, not the be all end all, just something that can save you in a bind.

9 minutes ago, Shorty88jr said:

giphy.gif

Quick grab the popcorn! :)

My router's firmware is fully updated, so I'm not worried.

d6c6c279c4cc125faaae67568332bc2da1e5a86b.jpg.c3951102936882b92541e5d91bd3128e.jpg

Perhaps it's time for me to ditch the old D-Link and get a PfSense router indeed.  Either way the NAS is off, the main 2 PCs are not connected to the network (waiting for TPM modules) and this install will be wiped later this week, so I'm honestly not too concerned.

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

d6c6c279c4cc125faaae67568332bc2da1e5a86b.jpg.c3951102936882b92541e5d91bd3128e.jpg

Perhaps it's time for me to ditch the old D-Link and get a PfSense router indeed.  Either way the NAS is off, the main 2 PCs are not connected to the network (waiting for TPM modules) and this install will be wiped later this week, so I'm honestly not too concerned.

Haha fully updated in 2010! ROFL and this is why I use pfSense. It has so much better security, it has things like intrusion detection, ad blocker, built in antivirus, super fast security patches and bug fixes either from the community or the main devs and it can even block IP's by country which is amazing it means I can block China, N. Korea, Russia, and many others with just a few settings. 

Spoiler

fear the russians! im rn hacking into lmg servers and every single user here coz putin said you fellas gotta be afraid to not intervene into our nefarious plans! Conquer invade subjucate! ALL YOUR BASES ARE BELONG TO US

Good thing about living in Russia - you learn pretty fast that neither your nor any other goverment is all that trustworthy, esp when geopolitics are in play. So fu dear uk and us, like you are not doing the exact same shit at the same time.

feels like this is not news but pure political cancer and therefore should be just removed, but mb its just me

image.thumb.png.b67ade9a4ffe74b7254f231047b76883.png

Hey, im part of the botnet now... fucken hysteria is unbearable

57 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Anyone surprised? 

yes actually.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

yes actually.

you're shocked that russia is doing sketchy / illegal stuff? lol

1 hour ago, SC2Mitch said:

Anyone surprised? 

Meh, not really I figured Russia of course would be pissed enough to hack after the missile strike.

35 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Wow,LOL at least get a router you can flash WRT onto but I either want a PfSense router or a Ubiquiti AP because normal consumer stuff sucks.

5 minutes ago, hobobobo said:

image.thumb.png.b67ade9a4ffe74b7254f231047b76883.png

Hey, im part of the botnet now... fucken hysteria is unbearable

Can you further elaborate? I am very curious about what is actually going on

2 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

you're shocked that russia is doing sketchy / illegal stuff? lol

No. I'm shocked that they'd happily hack consumer devices and businesses when their beef is with the US government.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, Deus Voltage said:

I think he's getting blocked from sites because of Russian IP.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

No. I'm shocked that they'd happily hack consumer devices and businesses when their beef is with the US government.

Don't you know? They're coming for your children, it's what they have for breakfast.

2 minutes ago, Deus Voltage said:

Tbh, i have no idea, first time seing such image. Ive been seeing some reports on "russia prepairing massive botnet attacks on the internet" for months now and, since its the first time seing this stuff, figured my moscow ip adress is second-rate now.