Windows 10 Build 17133 deemed unsuitable for v1803 RTM - New Insider Builds to be released shortly

AlTech

Windows 10 Build 17133 was scheduled to be Windows 10 Spring Creators Update RTM build.

However, Microsoft has ditched Build 17133 for the RTM for some reason and will be resuming new Insider Bulds shortly

If you're an Insider on 10.0.17133.73 (or an earlier patch on the 17133 branch) then you'll receive new Insider Builds shortly.

My sources are now suggesting that Microsoft has since demoted Windows 10 build 17133 from RTM status internally, meaning the company is now compiling new Redstone 4 builds once again in an attempt find a new one that passes the necessary criteria for public release. As a reminder, RTM stands for 'Release To Manufacturing' and is the build that goes out to partners for preloading onto new hardware, and is also the official build that gets rolled out to the world as an update.

What does this mean for you? If you're an Insider, not much. I'm told the bug isn't impactful enough to cause any real problems for Insiders on a day-to-day basis, but no source has been able to confirm to me what the bug actually is. Regardless, Microsoft will roll out another build via the Insider Program when it is ready to do so. For those that decided to upgrade to build 17133 outside of the Insider Program, you might still be in luck.

Microsoft demoting a build that it had internally deemed RTM is rather unprecedented. The company had already began preparing its systems for rollout of build 17133 to the public, but is now having to undo all that work in preparation for a new RTM build

This kind of ditching last minute RTM builds is very unusual and sources close to Microsoft have stated that the "blocking bug" found 1-2 weeks ago would not actually cause problems for Insiders on a day to day basis. And they also stated that a simple patch couldn't fix the bug either. Which raises the possibility of the bug being deeply woven into the OS like the Telemetry and data collection.

Given all the information we have, I suspect the blocking bug may be privacy related as we do know that the European Union General Data Protection Regulation is coming into effect next month. And Microsoft doesn't want a large fine from the EU.

giphy.gif

So yeah, GG Insiders and anybody testing v1803 PC. At this point we should expect v1803 RTM within 2 weeks as there is just a few more weeks left in April.

Source:

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-demotes-windows-10-redstone-4-build-17133-rtm-status

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Would be quite something if they simply forgot they had to cut back the spying to comply with the GDPR. Considering the direction Microsoft is taking with their Windows as a service formula, they really shouldn't have basically killed off the quality control department. People expect a service to be reliable, and this doesn't inspire confidence.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

8 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Would be quite something if they simply forgot they had to cut back the spying to comply with the GDPR. Considering the direction Microsoft is taking with their Windows as a service formula, they really shouldn't have basically killed off the quality control department. People expect a service to be reliable, and this doesn't inspire confidence.

This is the most troubling bit and would explain them being quiet.

And they also stated that a simple patch couldn't fix the bug either. Which raises the possibility of the bug being deeply woven into the OS like the Telemetry and data collection.

If it's too deep into the OS to fix with a patch then it has to be either major privacy issues (and lack of compliance with GDPR) or major security issues.

I seriously doubt it's the latter though and if it's the former then that's actually quite sad.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

snip

That still doesn't make Windows 10 compliant with GDPR though.

Microsoft is going to get in hella trouble if they don't get compliant soon :P.

Well, this could cause some major issues. If it's a partial rewrite of the OS we're expecting, I wonder how it will affect compatibility with older hardware...

Just now, TopHatProductions115 said:

Well, this could cause some major issues. If it's a partial rewrite of the OS we're expecting, I wonder how it will affect compatibility with older hardware...

The only bits I'm expecting to be re-written are just the data collection and spying bits.

Everything else should remain as is.

I find it interesting.

To me, I find more professional that a company or person goes "Crap... we have this issue, we screwed up. Let's pull back", then going: "Screw it, say nothing, do nothing, ship it, and we will deliver a patch soon after its release". Admitting ones mistake, is something I value a lot, than one that goes "Oh, "we didn't know"... but don't worry, it only affects 1% of users..." PR statement .

I am a strong believer in taking ones time and delivering a better/good product than to rush things to meet some deadline, and get AC: Unity style release. Releasing a buggy software does nothing but hurt the company image, reputation and just creates anger and downtime for many.

Yes it sucks that there is a small (hopefully) delay in this release. But it won't kill anyone, if it means reduce problems upon release, whatever it may be.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I find it interesting.

To me, I find more professional that a company or person goes "Crap... we have this issue, we screwed up. Let's pull back", then going: "Screw it, say nothing, do nothing, ship it, and we will deliver a patch soon after its release". Admitting ones mistake, is something I value a lot, than one that goes "Oh, "we didn't know"... but don't worry, it only affects 1% of users..." PR statement .

I am a strong believer in taking ones time and delivering a better/good product than to rush things to meet some deadline, and get AC: Unity style release. Releasing a buggy software does nothing but hurt the company image, reputation and just creates anger and downtime for many.

Yes it sucks that there is a small (hopefully) delay in this release. But it won't kill anyone, if it means reduce problems upon release, whatever it may be.

If they were more transparent about the issue that would certainly help. Right now they can't afford to hide things from people.

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

If they were more transparent about the issue that would certainly help. Right now they can't afford to hide things from people.

Well... welcome to the world of software dev.

Many times,you have bugs that are hard to explain. Usually the process is that a release is done by the engineers, than a Technical Writer goes over it, and re-write the bug report in layman terms, and ensure that it is understandable. So there is a discussion between the Tech Writer and Engineers. And if that fails, or lack of time then it ends up in "General bugs fixes" or "Reliability improvements", or "General security update" or some generic category like that.

But all in all, no one actually cares beside Windows enthusiasts, if we were honest. I can assume you my parents would not care, nor does most people, even in the IT field. Unless it is something like "Windows Hello accidentally continuously filming people and accidentally sending it to Facebook as a direct feed, and accidentally, to assume that they get it, send VHS and DVDs of streams to them, and Facebook accidentally processed all this and sale it. All accidentally, of course"

19 hours ago, Cookybiscuit said:

This is why LTSB is a thing and it's why people should use it.

How did you activate LTSB if it's only available to enterprise customers?

1 hour ago, MyName13 said:

How did you activate LTSB if it's only available to enterprise customers?

Because I'm an enterprising customer.