Jump to content
avg123

How does MHL (connecting Phones with TVs over HDMI) work?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

1.Does the TV have to be MHL compatible

2.Does the phone need to be MHL compatible?

3.Can we use a MHL to HDMI Adapter if TV or Phone does not support MHL?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Essentially a USB - HDMI adapter (through that is simplified)

 

Here's there page: MHL Tech


Did I help? If I did, help others by marking my answer as "best answer" so people can easily find the solution in the future!

RIG ON PROFILE

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, limegorilla said:

Essentially a USB - HDMI adapter (through that is simplified)

 

Here's there page: MHL Tech

Does the phone need to support MHL even if I am using a MHL to HDMI adapter?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Does the phone need to support MHL even if I am using a MHL to HDMI adapter?

According to their website you do - Here is the list

Quote

To see a full list of MHL-enabled devices please click here.

If your device is not supported try Google Chrome Cast. If you don't want to shell out £40 on a Chrome Cast, Google's own Nexus Player is only about £70 now which has Android TV and a swathe of Android TV games - runs emulators pretty well too


Did I help? If I did, help others by marking my answer as "best answer" so people can easily find the solution in the future!

RIG ON PROFILE

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, limegorilla said:

According to their website you do - Here is the list

If your device is not supported try Google Chrome Cast. If you don't want to shell out £40 on a Chrome Cast, Google's own Nexus Player is only about £70 now which has Android TV and a swathe of Android TV games - runs emulators pretty well too

That list only shows devices which natively support MHL. I am asking of I can use a phone that does not natively support MHL with an adapter.

 

Chromecast and screen mirroring are 2 separate things.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, avg123 said:

That list only shows devices which natively support MHL. I am asking of I can use a phone that does not natively support MHL with an adapter.

 

Chromecast and screen mirroring are 2 separate things.

As I said - MHL supports those devices. I do not know if unsupported devices are workable, but you can Google that. And Chrome Cast is a means of screen mirroring, through the Google Home App


Did I help? If I did, help others by marking my answer as "best answer" so people can easily find the solution in the future!

RIG ON PROFILE

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, limegorilla said:

As I said - MHL supports those devices. I do not know if unsupported devices are workable, but you can Google that. And Chrome Cast is a means of screen mirroring, through the Google Home App

No chrome cast is dfferent from real screen mirroring.

1. It only works with apps that support chrome cast

2.It does not mirror the screen. If you care casting, say Netflix, it is not actually transmitting video information from your mobile device to the TV. It is downloading the Netflix content from the internet just like your phone. That is not screen mirroring. Your phone is just working as a remote control.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, limegorilla said:

According to their website you do - Here is the list

If your device is not supported try Google Chrome Cast. If you don't want to shell out £40 on a Chrome Cast, Google's own Nexus Player is only about £70 now which has Android TV and a swathe of Android TV games - runs emulators pretty well too

Depending on what other equipment OP may have, a Chromecast mag not even be necessarily for screen mirroring. I regularly mirror my phone to my Sony blu ray player for emulators, with some very good results. Smart TVs should also be capable of doing this as well.


The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Forever in search of my reason to exist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, avg123 said:

No chrome cast is dfferent from real screen mirroring.

1. It only works with apps that support chrome cast

2.It does not mirror the screen. If you care casting, say Netflix, it is not actually transmitting video information from your mobile device to the TV. It is downloading the Netflix content from the internet just like your phone. That is not screen mirroring. Your phone is just working as a remote control.

I beg to differ:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6059461?hl=en

 

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Depending on what other equipment OP may have, a Chromecast mag not even be necessarily for screen mirroring. I regularly mirror my phone to my Sony blu ray player for emulators, with some very good results. Smart TVs should also be capable of doing this as well.

I agree. As I said, I have (several) Nexus Players from Google with various Emulators installed, connected to wired PS4 controllers. It works very well - sometimes better than on my phone.


Did I help? If I did, help others by marking my answer as "best answer" so people can easily find the solution in the future!

RIG ON PROFILE

Link to post
Share on other sites

As i work in an electronics store i have a terrible history with MHL, from what i can tell almost nothing supports it anymore (or at least the info aint always available for a quick google search when a customer ask) and i almost always get them returned since they didnt work

 

Chromecast for life!

 

giphy.gif 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×