How does MHL (connecting Phones with TVs over HDMI) work?

avg123

1.Does the TV have to be MHL compatible

2.Does the phone need to be MHL compatible?

3.Can we use a MHL to HDMI Adapter if TV or Phone does not support MHL?

Essentially a USB - HDMI adapter (through that is simplified)

Here's there page: MHL Tech

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

1 minute ago, limegorilla said:

Essentially a USB - HDMI adapter (through that is simplified)

Here's there page: MHL Tech

Does the phone need to support MHL even if I am using a MHL to HDMI adapter?

3 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Does the phone need to support MHL even if I am using a MHL to HDMI adapter?

According to their website you do - Here is the list

To see a full list of MHL-enabled devices please click here.

If your device is not supported try Google Chrome Cast. If you don't want to shell out £40 on a Chrome Cast, Google's own Nexus Player is only about £70 now which has Android TV and a swathe of Android TV games - runs emulators pretty well too

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

4 minutes ago, limegorilla said:

If your device is not supported try Google Chrome Cast. If you don't want to shell out £40 on a Chrome Cast, Google's own Nexus Player is only about £70 now which has Android TV and a swathe of Android TV games - runs emulators pretty well too

That list only shows devices which natively support MHL. I am asking of I can use a phone that does not natively support MHL with an adapter.

Chromecast and screen mirroring are 2 separate things.

13 minutes ago, avg123 said:

That list only shows devices which natively support MHL. I am asking of I can use a phone that does not natively support MHL with an adapter.

Chromecast and screen mirroring are 2 separate things.

As I said - MHL supports those devices. I do not know if unsupported devices are workable, but you can Google that. And Chrome Cast is a means of screen mirroring, through the Google Home App

Bow down to me humans.

7 minutes ago, limegorilla said:

As I said - MHL supports those devices. I do not know if unsupported devices are workable, but you can Google that. And Chrome Cast is a means of screen mirroring, through the Google Home App

No chrome cast is dfferent from real screen mirroring.

1. It only works with apps that support chrome cast

2.It does not mirror the screen. If you care casting, say Netflix, it is not actually transmitting video information from your mobile device to the TV. It is downloading the Netflix content from the internet just like your phone. That is not screen mirroring. Your phone is just working as a remote control.

1 hour ago, limegorilla said:

Depending on what other equipment OP may have, a Chromecast mag not even be necessarily for screen mirroring. I regularly mirror my phone to my Sony blu ray player for emulators, with some very good results. Smart TVs should also be capable of doing this as well.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, avg123 said:

No chrome cast is dfferent from real screen mirroring.

1. It only works with apps that support chrome cast

2.It does not mirror the screen. If you care casting, say Netflix, it is not actually transmitting video information from your mobile device to the TV. It is downloading the Netflix content from the internet just like your phone. That is not screen mirroring. Your phone is just working as a remote control.

I beg to differ:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6059461?hl=en

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Depending on what other equipment OP may have, a Chromecast mag not even be necessarily for screen mirroring. I regularly mirror my phone to my Sony blu ray player for emulators, with some very good results. Smart TVs should also be capable of doing this as well.

I agree. As I said, I have (several) Nexus Players from Google with various Emulators installed, connected to wired PS4 controllers. It works very well - sometimes better than on my phone.

Bow down to me humans.

As i work in an electronics store i have a terrible history with MHL, from what i can tell almost nothing supports it anymore (or at least the info aint always available for a quick google search when a customer ask) and i almost always get them returned since they didnt work

Chromecast for life!

giphy.gif