Facebook tracking people that have not even signed up for an account

Arika
1 hour ago, mr moose said:

but it seems like a stretch, only on the grounds that MS's entire business structure relies on them having a good solid trust with clients

Seeing how they started to copy FB and Google it isnt a stretch, and they do not care about clients trusting them or not... (they pretty much destroying that trust ever since 10 came out, or even before)

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Seeing how they started to copy FB and Google it isnt a stretch, and they do not care about clients trusting them or not... (they pretty much destroying that trust ever since 10 came out, or even before)

Yep, they read every email that passes through their servers, they spy on all MSoffice data held by every company. Absolutely nothing is secure anymore and not a single end user (be it a average joe or goldman sachs) in the world cares that their information is just being abused like a cheap ebay dildo.   9_9

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Microsoft is not releasing another Windows version and gave 300+ Million users Windows 10 for free this is disappointing but not unexpected. Instead of paying with money we pay in advertising revenue - with the usable lifespan of computers increasing and the amount of identifiable data Microsoft collects it is quite possible that this system is more profitable.

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

I believe there are more reasonable explanation for it that doesn't involve Microsoft sharing data with Facebook for ad purposes. But I wouldn't put it past Microsoft. 

1 minute ago, ScratchCat said:

Microsoft is not releasing another Windows version and gave 300+ Million users Windows 10 for free this is disappointing but not unexpected. Instead of paying with money we pay in advertising revenue - with the usable lifespan of computers increasing and the amount of identifiable data Microsoft collects it is quite possible that this system is more profitable.

Especially since when you pay for it every time you buy a device that has it preinstalled... 9_9

15 minutes ago, mr moose said:

and not a single end user (be it a average joe or goldman sachs) in the world cares that their information is just being abused like a cheap ebay dildo.

The big majority of them dont and that is why MS is getting away with it...

15 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Yep, they read every email that passes through their servers, they spy on all MSoffice data held by every company. Absolutely nothing is secure anymore and not a single end user (be it a average joe or goldman sachs) in the world cares that their information is just being abused like a cheap ebay dildo.   9_9

the free internet to connect all and reduce inequalities of information is all but dead. Between fake/bad information, all the spying/controlling and the use of data as a commodity, like many other things man made the dream is pretty much ruined in it's essence. 

And if the more tech savvy can at least do something about it, most people either don't care and/or don't know the dangers or how to protect themselves.

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

Especially since when you pay for it every time you buy a device that has it preinstalled... 9_9

The big majority of them dont and that is why MS is getting away with it...

Getting away with what? reading emails?  your conspiracies have gone from simply extrapolating beyond the evidence to teetering on the verge of paranoia.   You do realise just how major it would be (and how highly unlikely it is without someone knowing and releasing said information) for them to be breaching nearly every single privacy law (including their own contractual obligations under civil law) to read emails without specific permission.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

your conspiracies

Sorry for expecting the worst from them after all the lies and shady practices they've done.... :dry:

5 minutes ago, asus killer said:

the free internet to connect all and reduce inequalities of information is all but dead. Between fake/bad information, all the spying/controlling and the use of data as a commodity, like many other things man made the dream is pretty much ruined in it's essence. 

And if the more tech savvy can at least do something about it, most people either don't care and/or don't know the dangers or how to protect themselves.

I agree where the internet is going doesn't look good, but that is mostly social media that is doing the killing.  Corporate interference really depends on the corporation, ISP's clearly want to give less and charge more. They would like to control the content as well because that generates revenue too.  Companies like Amazon and MS cannot control the content though, they have strict legal contracts with all clients who rent/use their services.   They can no more read emails than a bank can tell your neighbor how much you owe on your house.

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Sorry for expecting the worst from them after all the lies and shady practices they've done.... :dry:

expecting the worst is fine,  I stop at being concerned they can identify me from what they harvest.  However with most meta data retention laws they only need to log your IP to do that, the rest of the data is advertising fodder at best.     

37 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I agree where the internet is going doesn't look good, but that is mostly social media that is doing the killing.  Corporate interference really depends on the corporation, ISP's clearly want to give less and charge more. They would like to control the content as well because that generates revenue too.  Companies like Amazon and MS cannot control the content though, they have strict legal contracts with all clients who rent/use their services.   They can no more read emails than a bank can tell your neighbor how much you owe on your house.

i didn't meant all is bad, but i stand that the initial dream is dead. Net neutrality attacks, lack security, influencing elections, use of data, etc... the list seems to never end.

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I still don't know how any of this is surprising or even new information to people

Especially since it has been like 5 years since we learned that they created dummy profiles for people not on Facebook that their face recognition software picked upon.

"Shocking" 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

21 minutes ago, zimou13 said:

Surface Pro vs iPad Pro vs MacBook Pro vs Pixelbook: which computer would you choose to be your only computer for the next couple of years?

Its a good thing there is way more offers than that.... :D

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Yes, they do actually go through every email, and scan every document uploaded to their cloud services. They are completely open about this. 

I swear, security is the biggest excuse companies or governments give for doing questionable or bad things.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

26 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I swear, security is the biggest excuse companies or governments give for doing questionable or bad things.

And yet never say what the "security" is for

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

42 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

And yet never say what the "security" is for

"National Security", "Making America Safe", "Protecting against Hackers".

-_-. They do say, but it's always a bunch of garbage generic reasons.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 hours ago, asus killer said:

I hate cookies, apart from keeping a site with authentication they shouldn't exist. For random browsing i use another browser that accepts no cookies

i think that is true but only for EU. I'm not sure.

last time I checked, Belgium is in the EU. 

4 minutes ago, The Viking said:

last time I checked, Belgium is in the EU. 

not everyone here is Belgium or even in the EU, that's what i meant when i replied to you're "it's illegal" comment.

people are still continuing to this second, to use facebook.

I don't think they are going anywhere, as unhappy as this makes us all.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

not everyone here is Belgium or even in the EU, that's what i meant when i replied to you're "it's illegal" comment.

i feel sometimes people here just do it on purpose.

Yes, I understand not everybody is EU here, yes. But I specified that "Resurfaced few weeks ago, a Belgian court condemned Facebook for these trackers. "

If a Belgian court condemns somebody, it's limited to Belgium.

So yes, it is illegal to not tell users beforehand of your use of cookies, at least in EU. 

36 minutes ago, The Viking said:

Yes, I understand not everybody is EU here, yes. But I specified that "Resurfaced few weeks ago, a Belgian court condemned Facebook for these trackers. "

So yes, it is illegal to not tell users beforehand of your use of cookies, at least in EU. 

that was not on the comment i replied, if it were a part of a previous reply my bad didn't noticed it, of i wouldn't had replied it like that.

2 hours ago, The Viking said:

Yeah and also EU GDPR puts more restrictions on data collection. Including the Right to erasure (aka the right to be forgotten)