Facebook tracking people that have not even signed up for an account

Arika
1 minute ago, The Viking said:

Facebook was using cookies without notifying users that those cookies were there. End of the story.

It would be up to the host website that is using FaceBooks plugins correct? Not FaceBook. 

I’m not seeing the end of anything. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

I know plenty of average non tech savvy users who are in both camps, some are acutely aware that something fishy is going on because the ads they get are way to targeted to not have personal information (i.e from txt,/email that is). Whilst others are completely oblivious.  And on top of that those who are oblivious don't care so long as they can still share pictures of cats doing funny things.

FB has been snooping on emails that were supposed to be confidential between my Mum and her lawyer. FB started showing ads for legal aid from agency within out state.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

FB has been snooping on emails that were supposed to be confidential between my Mum and her lawyer. FB started showing ads for legal aid from agency within out state.

Third party email provider?

EDIT: or emails sent from her phone?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I miss when Facebook was a service for colleges instead of the normiefest it is today.

23 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Third party email provider?

EDIT: or emails sent from her phone?

MS Outlook.

PMSL

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

MS Outlook.

Hmmm,  the only issues I've had with outlook were that the outlook calender was going through my emails and putting in events from email content (all internal MS software though).  I did not like that.   I would have thought FB would have had no way of getting into an ms account email though.    That's scary.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Hmmm,  the only issues I've had with outlook were that the outlook calender was going through my emails and putting in events from email content (all internal MS software though).  I did not like that.   I would have thought FB would have had no way of getting into an ms account email though.    That's scary.  

It seems that there's been an assumption that the ads were a result of the emails and not something else, and that facebook directly got the data - it's possible it was mined by microsoft and passed along. 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

15 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It seems that there's been an assumption that the ads were a result of the emails and not something else, and that facebook directly got the data - it's possible it was mined by microsoft and passed along. 

True. Either way FB was part of the data mining.

PMSL

We have known this, like for years tho? 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I've considered that, but it seems like a stretch, only on the grounds that MS's entire business structure relies on them having a good solid trust with clients that things like emails are private.   There is no difference between them sniffing emails and sniffing through office documents.  Could you imagine the shit they would be in if they were caught doing that?

Just now, mr moose said:

I've considered that, but it seems like a stretch, only on the grounds that MS's entire business structure relies on them having a good solid trust with clients that things like emails are private.   There is no difference between them sniffing emails and sniffing through office documents.  Could you imagine the shit they would be in if they were caught doing that?

True, but in any case there's a lot of ways something like that could happen, I don't want to just assume it's one of them.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

True, but in any case there's a lot of ways something like that could happen, I don't want to just assume it's one of them.

If the emails were sent on a phone it's more likely that the Facebook app has access to emails and txts sent that way.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

If the emails were sent on a phone it's more likely that the Facebook app has access to emails and txts sent that way.

That's very possible.  Otherwise I can't see how facebook could have read an email that never passed through it.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's very possible.  Otherwise I can't see how facebook could have read an email that never passed through it.

All the cases I personally know of happened on a mobile,  however the only way I could possibly imagine FB gaining access to an email that wasn't sent through it would be with coookies/browser plugin (or something like it) when using a webmail interface with no secure connection (pretty unlikely). 

I hate cookies, apart from keeping a site with authentication they shouldn't exist. For random browsing i use another browser that accepts no cookies

2 hours ago, The Viking said:

All websites are forced, by law to to tell the visitor whether they use cookies or not. You can limit yourself to just use a basic, generic message like that one, OR you can put a full message with a link to a section of the site where you explain what you collect, track & do with the data, which major websites will do.

Facebook was using cookies without notifying users that those cookies were there. End of the story.

I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is illegal.

i think that is true but only for EU. I'm not sure.

2 minutes ago, asus killer said:

I hate cookies, apart from keeping a site with authentication they shouldn't exist.

i think that is true but only for EU. I'm not sure.

we get those messages here in Aus.  Not all the time though. I don't recall FB ever having one.

Just now, mr moose said:

we get those messages here in Aus.  Not all the time though. I don't recall FB ever having one.

I never used to see them but a while back all of a sudden lots of sites started showing them.

You could never have Facebook, someone could upload an image of you and tag your face. At which point Facebook's facial recognition can now detect your face on any picture of you and apply a name.

This is the problem with Facebook there is no opt out.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I never used to see them but a while back all of a sudden lots of sites started showing them.

Gigabyte- this site uses cookies popup

AMD - Why we use cookies popup

Microsoft - pretty please use edge browser popup

11 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You agree when you sign up.

Screenshot_20180416-080901_Brave.jpg

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

That's pretty common, I think basically every site has a little legal blurb almost exactly like that

5 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Screenshot_20180416-080901_Brave.jpg

or when they update their T&C's and everyone clicks straight through it without reading.

8 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Now how about when you didn't sign up but they still track you?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

10 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

The sites you visit say they use cookies, I guess that includes the facebook tracking cookies xD

13 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

yes that's the problem, if you sign in there is no point on the pop up, but if you don't at least in EU you have to put the warning every time someone visits if you use cookies on your website

edit: just checked and facebook has the warning for me. I'm in EU.