How do different users work?

TheGermanEngie

hi LTT - 

So I'm familiar with seperate user accounts on operating systems, but how do they work? Is every individual user a seperate partition on the hard drive? Is it the same partition but with changed accessibility settings for the other users' security?

halp pls

thanks

Kernel gives each user different access to the system.

The all share the drive, and every file and folder has permissions to tell it who can access the file and what they can do it it.

You can also limit max processes, ram usage, cpu usage and other things by user.

huh, well, this is something I never really thought about. I don't know for certain, but what I think happens is that new information is provided to the kernel which decides the privileges of the user. I am pretty sure that a separate partition or anything is not created, but the user files. such as the documents, the pictures, and stuff get created and might be hidden to the operating system when accessing it as a user. like, the kernel decides, which user information the operating system can see.

Now, I don't know for certain, as I said, this is just a hypothesis that I am coming up with as I am writing this, so, I very well might be wrong. That said, I would love to know more, so, if anyone can clear this up for both @TheGermanEngie and Me, it'd be great

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Kernel gives each user different access to the system.

The all share the drive, and every file and folder has permissions to tell it who can access the file and what they can do it it.

You can also limit max processes, ram usage, cpu usage and other things by user.

Ayyy my hypothesis was pretty correct, eh?! That's cool, I suppose