Ukiryah

HELP! GTX 1060 Underperforming!

Posted · Original PosterOP

Ok so I have had this rig for a while, and yesterday reinstalled Windows 10 on a different hard drive because the one that was in my rig was super old. But after a day of getting Battlefront 2 downloaded, I have to be at Low settings and 25% resolution scale to achieve 60 or so FPS. I don't know what the issue is, because I was able to play the game at Ultra settings and still get 75+ FPS with hardly any dips. I tried using MSI Afterburner to overclock my GPU, but it still isn't doing anything. I used MSI Kombustor to check and see how many FPS I was getting in the stress test and was only getting on average 16 FPS and on occasion getting 18 FPS. It also said that only 300MB of VRam was being used out of 3GB, and before I did the HDD switch, I normally got 110+ FPS and it was using about 2.5GB of the VRam. Is there any way I could fix this? I'm just so confused.

Also here are my specs:

FX-6300 ~ 3.5GHz

GA-880GM-USB3 Gigabyte Motherboard

8GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz DDR3 RAM

600W OCZ PSU

Gigabyte GTX 1060 OC 3GB

120GB HDD (For OS)

500GB HDD (For games)

It's possibly could be your CPU, it's 6 slow cores may just not be capable of keeping up with that 1060.

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

It's possibly could be your CPU, it's 6 slow cores may just capable of keeping up.

No I don't think so. I've never had this issue before UNTIL today. I'm completely lost as of now.

3 minutes ago, Ukiryah said:

No I don't think so. I've never had this issue before UNTIL today. I'm completely lost as of now.

... have you re-enabled windows game mode, or software optimization(s)? What is the speed of your HDD versus your old one?

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

... have you re-enabled windows game mode, or software optimization? What is the speed of your HDD versus your old one?

Windows Game Mode is enabled, I have pretty much every software optimization programs I can think of, and I'm almost positive it's 7200RPMs.

Windows Game Mode is enabled, I have pretty much every software optimization programs I can think of, and I'm almost positive it's 7200RPMs.

Wrong it's 5400RPMs

2 minutes ago, Ukiryah said:

Wrong it's 5400RPMs

That could be it, but it is hard to tell for sure... I simply don't have the expertise beyond this point.

@Ukiryah

Did you let Windows go through its update process?

Latest version is 1709, Build 10.0.15254.313 (?).

Also, are all your motherboard, and chipset drivers downloaded and installed?

Gigabyte doesn't have official drivers for Windows 10, but Windows 8.1 (and *some* Windows 7) drivers are usually compatible with Windows 10 as well.

AMD 990FX Rig (BEING converted to X99 -- i7-6800K, ASUS X99 Deluxe II, etc)

• i7-6800K <--> FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS X99 Deluxe II <--> ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 16 GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3000 MHz <--> 2 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • CM Hyper 212 EVO (temporary) <--> Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD <--> Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 <--> Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition <--> Cooler Master HAF 932
  • Some Keyboard + Mice <--> Logitech G9x + Corsair K70 (red LED, anodized black, cherry MX Brown)

Intel Z97 Rig

• Intel i5-4690K @ 4.6 GHz  4.8 GHz (still tweaking it)
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  *NEW* NZXT X61
  • Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version] + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Antec New TruePower 550W
  • Cooler Master HAF 912

<> Electrical Engineer student - Fourth Year <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

2 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

@Ukiryah

Did you let Windows go through its update process?

Latest version is 1709, Build 10.0.15254.313 (?).

Also, are all your CPU, motherboard, and chipset drivers downloaded and installed?

I'll have to check on windows update. I turned it off because I hate windows but if that's the issue then I'll fix it. And I checked and it seems all the drivers are installed

28 minutes ago, Ukiryah said:

I'll have to check on windows update. I turned it off because I hate windows but if that's the issue then I'll fix it. And I checked and it seems all the drivers are installed

It's still doing the same thing even after updating. I'll figure it out later.

53 minutes ago, Dah budget gamer666 said:

have you installed the latest Nvidia GPU drivers?

Yes I have.

Boi NVIDIA has much better performance and a cheaper price than AMD (Yes AMD is good but I prefer NVIDIA GPUs over AMD) The 6GB GTX 1060 has a 6% performance increase over the RX 580 8GB. It's all peripherals.

But the one you have is 3GB version, am I right? :v 

Just in case, try to wipe your video drivers with DDU.
Also, did you select for the application to use dedicated graphics card in NVIDIA Control Panel?

On 4/16/2018 at 10:05 AM, Quadriplegic said:

But the one you have is 3GB version, am I right? :v 

Just in case, try to wipe your video drivers with DDU.
Also, did you select for the application to use dedicated graphics card in NVIDIA Control Panel?

I might have I need to check.