144Hz FullHD with Displayport to DVI-D cable - is it possible?

Krieger1200

Hello,

is it possible to use the 144Hz of a monitor at fullhd with a displayport to dvi-d cable ? the dvi-d end would be plugged into the monitor and the displayport-end into the graphics card. Or do I need a special cable to run my monitor at 144Hz full hd?

Hope you guys can answer my question.

2 minutes ago, Krieger1200 said:

Hello,

is it possible to use the 144Hz of a monitor at fullhd with a displayport to dvi-d cable ? the dvi-d end would be plugged into the monitor and the displayport-end into the graphics card. Or do I need a special cable to run my monitor at 144Hz full hd?

Hope you guys can answer my question.

No, standard DP to DVI adapters are Single-Link only, which means they will be limited to 60 Hz at 1080p (even if they claim to be dual-link).

You would need a DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI active adapter, which is much more expensive. See here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?output=DP&input=DVI

A monitor capable of 144hz should have native hdmi 2.0 or displayport inputs. DVI cannot drive a monitor above 120hz, and requires a dual-link connection to do so.

Unlike HDMI to DVI, DisplayPort requires conversion of the signal to DVI since the voltage levels used are different. That often means that cheap cables and adapters are unidirectional, and will only work at the source end, not the sink end. Additionally, these adapters convert the displayport signal into a *single link* DVI signal, meaning you'd be limited to 60hz regardless even if the output works.

Short answer: No. The best you can get is 120hz with an expensive active converter. Passive dongles/adapters will only convert DisplayPort to a single link signal and are incapable of going beyond 60hz at 1080p.

Edit: Spent too long typing and got ninja'd by @Glenwing.

Edited by Tabs

22 minutes ago, Tabs said:

A monitor capable of 144hz should have native hdmi 2.0 or displayport inputs. DVI cannot drive a monitor above 120hz, and requires a dual-link connection to do so.

Unlike HDMI to DVI, DisplayPort requires conversion of the signal to DVI since the voltage levels used are different. That often means that cheap cables and adapters are unidirectional, and will only work at the source end, not the sink end. Additionally, these adapters convert the displayport signal into a *single link* DVI signal, meaning you'd be limited to 60hz regardless even if the output works.

Short answer: No. The best you can get is 120hz with an expensive active converter. Passive dongles/adapters will only convert DisplayPort to a single link signal and are incapable of going beyond 60hz at 1080p.

Edit: Spent too long typing and got ninja'd by @Glenwing.

Dual-Link DVI does support up to 144 Hz at 1080p :)

10 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Dual-Link DVI does support up to 144 Hz at 1080p :)

I wasn't able to find an authoritative specification source that confirmed capabilities beyond 120hz, though it certainly doesn't surprise me if 144hz is possible, considering how many not-quite-compliant features are built into modern devices (like audio over DVI which only works when converted to a hdmi sink, or 4:2:0 chroma subsampling on hdmi 1.4, among others).

Worth knowing, though I don't imagine many devices would choose to support or require 144hz via DVI when smaller and more capable formats exist that are better suited to it.

23 minutes ago, Tabs said:

I wasn't able to find an authoritative specification source that confirmed capabilities beyond 120hz, though it certainly doesn't surprise me if 144hz is possible, considering how many not-quite-compliant features are built into modern devices (like audio over DVI which only works when converted to a hdmi sink, or 4:2:0 chroma subsampling on hdmi 1.4, among others).

Worth knowing, though I don't imagine many devices would choose to support or require 144hz via DVI when smaller and more capable formats exist that are better suited to it.

There are a number of monitors that only support 144 Hz over DVI (GN246HL, XL2411Z for example). You can do it at around 320-325 MHz pixel clock, so it does fall within spec :)

I wouldn't call it "audio over DVI" per se, but rather the ability to route HDMI signals through a DVI port ;) It makes more sense when you consider it in that light. :)