I am not sure about what ? to buy.

Mihle
On 4/18/2018 at 1:17 AM, Mihle said:

If I get Fuji or Sony, what some good lenses to get? 

To start with, a kit zoom. I have mixed feelings about the default kit lens (16-50mm, SELP1650). I love the size and weight, but after I got some real lenses, I only put it on when I am packing small. It is not sharp at all compared to my other glass. The lens I use the most is my 18-105 f4 (SELP18105G), but I would not suggest it for photography. The power zoom and constant aperture are great for video, but not useful for pictures. The 18-135 (SEL18135) is significantly sharper, smaller, and easier to use. 

Many people like recommend primes, and I will say that I mostly shoot with either my FE 85mm or 35mm (SEL85F18 and SEL35F18). But I think it is important to have a good zoom first. For me, flexibility comes before image quality. 

I have little to no experience with Fuji XF lenses, but the same general wisdom holds true. Get a high quality, wide range zoom like the Fuji 18-125, and then start building a set of primes.

17 hours ago, Mihle said:

I was in a store and tried to hold them. I thik T-20 is too small but I  am still not sure what I want to get. I guess I just have to think about it some more.

It is kinda small, and that tripod thread is in the stupidest position it could possibly be too. I will say that it is surprisingly comfortable for its size though, and that's coming from a guy whose hands are huge. 

If you wanna go with fuji, which tbh, would be what I believe is the best of the 2 options, what I would do is buy a used x-e1/x-pro1/x-t10 and a couple of lenses or outright wait for photokina, which is about 5 months away. 

Then I'd look at the x-t3, if that thing has a touchscreen and bigger battery, its already close to the perfect camera, or as close as an aps-c gets. If they add a BSI sensor into the mix, and maybe IBIS (which is pretty far out there) its as good as it gets. I honestly can't think of anything more I'd ever want on a camera. I mean its specs will be enough until idk what comes out. 

If not, or if they only add the touchscreen, which is a very likely scenario, then just look at pricing and get the x-t2 used for less than 2/3 of the current price and sell the x-t10/xe1/xpro1 you just bought or keep it as a 2nd camera even ( not gonna pay/ get a lot for it anyway). 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

If I decided to go X-T2, would it be weird to only get the 18-55 lens? Like then the camera cost more than the lens. Even if I ended up not buying more lenses. And I don't really know how it is to shoot with primes.

Btw in the used market, I have seen what's basically the price of the body but you get a 35 mm f2 and a extra battery. I am sort of scared of going used tho. I am also short of scared taking the wrong decision.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

And do you really think the price of X-T2 will go down when X-T3 comes or will they just put X-T3 at what X-T2 costed when it came out and X-T2 stay at the price it is now for a while longer?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, Mihle said:

If I decided to go X-T2, would it be weird to only get the 18-55 lens? Like then the camera cost more than the lens. Even if I ended up not buying more lenses. And I don't really know how it is to shoot with primes.

Btw in the used market, I have seen what's basically the price of the body but you get a 35 mm f2 and a extra battery. I am sort of scared of going used tho. I am also short of scared taking the wrong decision.

Well sure, but I assume you'd be looking at getting another lens eventually. The only thing I can advise is look at also getting a 27mm pancake, simply because its very convenient if you want to take the camera around because it makes it have a practically flat profile. That way it fits in a coat pocket or something. It also looks less intimidating and can let you get away with street photography etc. 

Yes that does sound like what prices would look like more or less. You can always look at retailers who take in part exchanges etc. who might be more reputable. But overall, don't be, do your due diligence, read descriptions, ask questions etc. If you go through something like craigslist, you'd be checking the camera before you buy. If you go through ebay you can always open a dispute if there's something wrong with it, just be sure to check the thing out well once you receive it.   

1 hour ago, Mihle said:

And do you really think the price of X-T2 will go down when X-T3 comes or will they just put X-T3 at what X-T2 costed when it came out and X-T2 stay at the price it is now for a while longer?

Well even if they do put the x-t3 at a higher price, which isn't that much higher than it is now tbh, the x-t2 would have to come down a bit. If they still have stock they want to get rid off they'll put offers up, and there's all those cameras that will end up for sale because people are upgrading to the x-t3. So unless they release the xt-3 at a significantly higher msrp I don't see why that would be the case. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

7 hours ago, cc143 said:

Well sure, but I assume you'd be looking at getting another lens eventually. The only thing I can advise is look at also getting a 27mm pancake, simply because its very convenient if you want to take the camera around because it makes it have a practically flat profile. That way it fits in a coat pocket or something. It also looks less intimidating and can let you get away with street photography etc. 

Probably, but if not... If I got a cheaper camera I could get more lenses....

7 hours ago, cc143 said:

Yes that does sound like what prices would look like more or less. You can always look at retailers who take in part exchanges etc. who might be more reputable. But overall, don't be, do your due diligence, read descriptions, ask questions etc. If you go through something like craigslist, you'd be checking the camera before you buy. If you go through ebay you can always open a dispute if there's something wrong with it, just be sure to check the thing out well once you receive it.   

Neither craigslist or ebay. Would be a Norwegian site that I dont know what to compare it to and it would be in the distance to pick it up personally. "Verdified" users have to link their user to their real ID tho, but Its still scary to me. I will probably check what rights I have... Also, used means no warrany/returns if receipt doesnt follow I think?
Only those I find used without lens in the sell have receipt with it I think. And those is only so much off that buying that + new lens is the same as body and lens as a kit from the store.. From what I have seen untill now

-Stephen Hawking

3 hours ago, Mihle said:

Probably, but if not... If I got a cheaper camera I could get more lenses....

Neither craigslist or ebay. Would be a Norwegian site that I dont know what to compare it to and it would be in the distance to pick it up personally. "Verdified" users have to link their user to their real ID tho, but Its still scary to me. I will probably check what rights I have... Also, used means no warrany/returns if receipt doesnt follow I think?
Only those I find used without lens in the sell have receipt with it I think. And those is only so much off that buying that + new lens is the same as body and lens as a kit from the store.. From what I have seen untill now

What I meant by craigslist or ebay was the sort of site you'd be looking at. Also, I believe ebay sellers will still ship internationally. We don't really have craigslist over here either, unless you are interested in some really weird and disturbing things;P. Fb marketplace maybe? 

Well yes I would expect warranty would be void, but instances where the camera breaks down and is still covered under warranty are in my experience scarce. 

Listen I get having an issue to buy used, you hear loads of horror stories, but then again, people who bought used successfully rarely feel the need to talk about it. I have bought thousands of £ worth of photo gear over the past 10 years, I don't think more than a 1/5th of it was new, and that value is padded from fuji lenses that were just not available in the used market and buying new just made more sense, but right now I have and use 1 Canon body and 6 lenses, all bought used, my x-t10 and xf23mm also used. I haven't run into any issues I couldn't have spotted within the window I could return the camera/lens in. Buying used is a very good way to save money if you are into photography, God knows, if I only bought new, my money would have barely bought me my 5d and maybe a 24-105mm. 

X-T2 is expensive either way, I have the money, but it's expensive ans might have spent money on other stuff like more lenses or something else. I have tinked a lot but so think I have to think even more...

-Stephen Hawking

I have some say you shouldnt get non original batteries. Is that true, like for example Hähnel HL-F126 batteries, they are half the price of Fuji  NP-W126S batteries. 

Also, How much 4k footage does fit on the 32 gb card I have? (In case I start doing some video) should I get another SD card? Currently I have reached max 45% full on it at once one time on 600D with pictures, but those are smaller too. 

Other accessories I should think about? (apart from camera bag, ND filter(Will maybe leave that out and get later) and tripod(Borrow one for now, might get a cheap used one later)

-Stephen Hawking

4 hours ago, Mihle said:

I have some say you shouldnt get non original batteries. Is that true, like for example Hähnel HL-F126 batteries, they are half the price of Fuji  NP-W126S batteries. 

Also, How much 4k footage does fit on the 32 gb card I have? (In case I start doing some video) should I get another SD card? Currently I have reached max 45% full on it at once one time on 600D with pictures, but those are smaller too. 

Other accessories I should think about? (apart from camera bag, ND filter(Will maybe leave that out and get later) and tripod(Borrow one for now, might get a cheap used one later)

I've been using them for years with no issue, other than that the original seems to last quite a bit longer ( Come to think of it, its possible it's worth its money given how long it lasts in comparison). 

I wouldn't imagine a lot, although it does depend on the bit rate too. Keep in mind there are also speed requirements on the sd card to record 4k footage, so that is something you may wanna look into. 

I'd get a cheap trigger or intervalometer too. Soft release button might be nice on the xt20/xt2, I have one on the xt10. 

If you are getting the xt20 and are gonna be shooting off a tripod a lot, you may want to buy some sort of bracket that moves the tripod mount, because as it is, any sized plate will obscure access to the battery and sd card. (that is probably the single thing that drives me completely crazy on that camera). I've almost bought an x-pro1 every time I carried it out with a plate on. 

If I decide to get ND filter in the future, and I am getting multiple lenses, should I just get one size ND filter and use those adapters, or spend the money on multiple ND filters? (They seem expensive just for what it is but meh) (the two different that stores here seem to have is Kenko and B + W)

Foud a ND32 (5 stop) called Arctic Pro that I can't find much info about that cost like 70?

(Don't know if I want to get one at first or wait)

And if I go X-T20, should I go just 18-55 2.8-4 at the start and maybe by other things later or get something else too at the start, I don't know yet. Like wide angle, 23 mm or 35 mm or the 50-200. (This last paragraph is me just thinking loud)

-Stephen Hawking

On 06/05/2018 at 12:18 PM, Mihle said:

If I decide to get ND filter in the future, and I am getting multiple lenses, should I just get one size ND filter and use those adapters, or spend the money on multiple ND filters? (They seem expensive just for what it is but meh) (the two different that stores here seem to have is Kenko and B + W)

Foud a ND32 (5 stop) called Arctic Pro that I can't find much info about that cost like 70?

(Don't know if I want to get one at first or wait)

And if I go X-T20, should I go just 18-55 2.8-4 at the start and maybe by other things later or get something else too at the start, I don't know yet. Like wide angle, 23 mm or 35 mm or the 50-200. (This last paragraph is me just thinking loud)

Well it varies on what you are doing. For the mirrorless systems, if you want something versatile and small for landscape use, the lee seven5 system is quite nice, but that is mostly useful for photography. If what you want to do is simply cut out light to be able to shoot at a given shutter speed wide open in broad daylight, variable nd filters are mostly the way to go. 

Cheap nd filters in my experience are a waste of money, they give unwanted casts, there's loads of light leaking, which is untenable in darker ones etc. That said, if you need to shoot video in broad daylight wide open, you are better off using a cheap one than not using one. Also, they should be cheaper for narrower threaded lenses. Also keep in mind that in wider focal lengths, the use of step down rings might introduce vignetting to your image. 

So i'd just wait and see if you need it. That said, I did buy a cheap set off amazon (like £15) before going into a proper system and it did help me narrow down what sort of filters I actually needed, eliminating quite a lot of cost. 

It really depends on what you are shooting. If you are doing portraiture, the 18-55 and 50 f/2 seem like great options, if you are doing landscapes and cityscapes, the 10-24 is the most versatile option, but those are pretty pricy. 

8 hours ago, cc143 said:

Well it varies on what you are doing. For the mirrorless systems, if you want something versatile and small for landscape use, the lee seven5 system is quite nice, but that is mostly useful for photography. If what you want to do is simply cut out light to be able to shoot at a given shutter speed wide open in broad daylight, variable nd filters are mostly the way to go. 

Cheap nd filters in my experience are a waste of money, they give unwanted casts, there's loads of light leaking, which is untenable in darker ones etc. That said, if you need to shoot video in broad daylight wide open, you are better off using a cheap one than not using one. Also, they should be cheaper for narrower threaded lenses. Also keep in mind that in wider focal lengths, the use of step down rings might introduce vignetting to your image. 

So i'd just wait and see if you need it. That said, I did buy a cheap set off amazon (like £15) before going into a proper system and it did help me narrow down what sort of filters I actually needed, eliminating quite a lot of cost. 

It really depends on what you are shooting. If you are doing portraiture, the 18-55 and 50 f/2 seem like great options, if you are doing landscapes and cityscapes, the 10-24 is the most versatile option, but those are pretty pricy. 

I will wait and see for now.

-Stephen Hawking

• 4 weeks later...

I did get X-T20 with 18-55 2.8-4 btw. 

-Stephen Hawking