black screens with hdmi splitter

StaSik-K

i use my pc with my tv and my pc monitor, at first i connected them separately until i realized i was hurting performance.

i switched to hdmi splitter ( i use OREI HDS-102) and now i get black screens for a sec or two and its worse wile gaming, the picture get red artifacts or the screen go completely black until i touch the splitter abit.

i tried a couple of spliiteres already, all same problem

if it makes any difference i use gtx 970 and my monitor connected trough hdmi to dvi.

is there any way i can fix this?

thanks

Splitters can be bad for signal integrity when using long cables.  Its likely that the splitter is not re-transmitting the signal and the HDMI output from the GPU is not powerful enough to push a signal over all of that wire by itself.

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Splitters can be bad for signal integrity when using long cables.  Its likely that the splitter is not re-transmitting the signal and the HDMI output from the GPU is not powerful enough to push a signal over all of that wire by itself.

i never run above 1080 and the splitter connected to the wall

8 minutes ago, StaSik-K said:

i never run above 1080 and the splitter connected to the wall

Just because it plugs into the wall does not always mean that it re-transmits the signal.  Also, some very cheap splitters cant do much more than 720p.

3 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Just because it plugs into the wall does not always mean that it re-transmits the signal.  Also, some very cheap splitters cant do much more than 720p.

So the only solution I got is to connect them separately? 

If you are using a non-powered splitter, you might want to look into one of the powered splitters at Monoprice.com. I have a couple of 1x2s (one cable in and two cables out) I use to split the feeds to two of my monitors to the HDMI inputs on my TV that have been working well for several years (pity that they discontinued that one because I'll be needing a third one soon and the OCD in me prefers having all three being identical).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

2 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

If you are using a non-powered splitter, you might want to look into one of the powered splitters at Monoprice.com. I have a couple of 1x2s (one cable in and two cables out) I use to split the feeds to two of my monitors to the HDMI inputs on my TV that have been working well for several years (pity that they discontinued that one because I'll be needing a third one soon and the OCD in me prefers having all three being identical).

At first I bought a cheap one and then I bought a good one with a power source. 

Didn't make any difference 

2 hours ago, StaSik-K said:

At first I bought a cheap one and then I bought a good one with a power source. 

Didn't make any difference 

Sorry, that was the best I had. I hope you find a solution soon (and, if you do, please share it with us).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

12 hours ago, StaSik-K said:

-SNIP-

Connecting the screens together in mirror mode won't heavily effect performance maybe a few percent. For the cable length are you running exceedingly long cables through the wall? 

16 hours ago, W-L said:

Connecting the screens together in mirror mode won't heavily effect performance maybe a few percent. For the cable length are you running exceedingly long cables through the wall? 

no, i have 2M cable and two 1M cables

i used mirror mode before and i had to tone down games for the 60 fps, and the splitter eliminates the 4k option from the pc which is not the worst problem but still a nuisance. (I don't want the 4k)

have you tried different hdmi cables?  I thought i bought a bad hdmi matrix until i found the one cable that was defective now it works as it was intended.

42 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

have you tried different hdmi cables?  I thought i bought a bad hdmi matrix until i found the one cable that was defective now it works as it was intended.

Yeah I did, and I used them before the splillter with no issues. 

10 hours ago, StaSik-K said:

no, i have 2M cable and two 1M cables

i used mirror mode before and i had to tone down games for the 60 fps, and the splitter eliminates the 4k option from the pc which is not the worst problem but still a nuisance. (I don't want the 4k)

Display cloning through software or duplicating doesn't affect performance if your seeing a drop with that splitter or anything else then something else is causing that. 

9 minutes ago, W-L said:

Display cloning through software or duplicating doesn't affect performance if your seeing a drop with that splitter or anything else then something else is causing that. 

I used to connect the monitor and the tv with two cables (two ports in the gpu)

I didn't see a drop in performance with the splitter but it's unplayable due the black screens. 

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough before

12 minutes ago, StaSik-K said:

I used to connect the monitor and the tv with two cables (two ports in the gpu)

I didn't see a drop in performance with the splitter but it's unplayable due the black screens. 

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough before

Oh then why did you change it from running two cables into the GPU if it was working before? That active splitter might have some kind of processing inside that might be causing some lag or in this case an issue with the display output itself, to me it sounds like that splitter might be faulty. 

10 minutes ago, W-L said:

Oh then why did you change it from running two cables into the GPU if it was working before? That active splitter might have some kind of processing inside that might be causing some lag or in this case an issue with the display output itself, to me it sounds like that splitter might be faulty. 

They were talking about performance loss by running two displays directly from the GPU.  The splitter was used to reduce that performance impact.  The splitter is causing display corruption though, not performance loss.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

They were talking about performance loss by running two displays directly from the GPU.  The splitter was used to reduce that performance impact.  The splitter is causing display corruption though, not performance loss.

Connecting the two displays directly to the GPU's in mirror mode or software clone doesn't heavily affect performance is what I'm trying to get at. It might use a little more VRAM but in terms of FPS it will be a marginal amount. 

For the splitter itself that seems to be isolated to an issue with the unit itself. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Connecting the two displays directly to the GPU's in mirror mode or software clone doesn't heavily affect performance is what I'm trying to get at. It might use a little more VRAM but in terms of FPS it will be a marginal amount. 

For the splitter itself that seems to be isolated to an issue with the unit itself. 

Weather or not the performance impact is significant depends on how borderline your performance is.  Some want 60 FPS locked and in a number of setups multiple displays can be the difference between 60 and 30 FPS with v-sync.

16 minutes ago, W-L said:

I tried couple of splitter, same issue. 

Is there a way to measure how much performance I lose with two connections?

On 2018-04-16 at 11:12 PM, StaSik-K said:

Perhaps try running with two connections vs. one? Just a thought..

AMD Ryzen R5 3600 | Asrock B450M Steel Legend | ASUS Strix 1070 OC | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3000MHz | Corsair RM750X 750W | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | 2XSeagate Firecuda 2.5" 2TB SSHD | NZXT H400i | NZXT Kraken X62 v.2 AIO

On 4/16/2018 at 5:12 PM, StaSik-K said:

Oh sorry I missed this message, as for performance measurement the easiest would be to run a benchmark with a single and dual screen setup. The secondary screen will use some more VRAM if I'm not mistaken but other than that shouldn't heavily affect performance on the main screen.