UK workers rights in terms of breaks

_JohnB330ci

So, I know this is a tech forum, but had a lot of reliable answers from this site, so thought it would be a good place to ask.

At work, as I'm 18, the shop I work at does 8 Hours days (Is currently 9 but dropping lower) Is it legal for me to not take a break? My employer has stated I'm allowed an hours break, however, I'd prefer to work the full 8 Hours to get the extra pay, is it legal for me to do this if it is at my own will? I know you're entitled to certain time breaks depending on the length of your work, I'm wondering If I can still work the full day without a break if I chose to do so? 

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

10 hours ago, SherifsDog22 said:

So, I know this is a tech forum, but had a lot of reliable answers from this site, so thought it would be a good place to ask.

At work, as I'm 18, the shop I work at does 8 Hours days (Is currently 9 but dropping lower) Is it legal for me to not take a break? My employer has stated I'm allowed an hours break, however, I'd prefer to work the full 8 Hours to get the extra pay, is it legal for me to do this if it is at my own will? I know you're entitled to certain time breaks depending on the length of your work, I'm wondering If I can still work the full day without a break if I chose to do so? 

I can't say for the UK, but I know that in Ontario, Canada, you cannot legally give up your "30 minute mandatory meal break". If your employer gives you a one hour break, you can agree to waive half of it if you really wanted to just keep working, but the employer is not allowed to let you work through the entire break. Even if you agree, they can still get in legal trouble.

Is the UK different? No idea.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

10 hours ago, SherifsDog22 said:

At work, as I'm 18, the shop I work at does 8 Hours days (Is currently 9 but dropping lower) Is it legal for me to not take a break?

I would google it but I highly suspect that it is illegal. Companies just don't care as long as nobody complains or threaten with authorities.  Workers in the UK surely have protection laws. I know that workers here in Germany need a mandatory break

Where I live, you could do that. You are not required to take a break, you just have the right to take one. I know some stores will force you to break a certain time, especially if you have to clock in and out they sometimes can't have you work for a certain time in a row. But that depends on local law and your contract.

P.S. from one retail worker to another: I would advise you to at least take an half an hour break each day, to take some rest, have lunch and just get away from work.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

ACAS clickety

Have a look at the above article from ACAS. Breaks are governed by the working time directive. Also check your contract. If you get a hour for lunch it’s almost certainly unpaid and your employer may not pay you if you do work during it.

19 hours ago, SherifsDog22 said:

https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work