Why the average gamer doesn't need G-Sync, but need Mantle.

What the OP says is kind of true, but really the difference in frames with mantle won't be superior to 10-15 frames per second, you might argue that it's quite a bit to see a 290 beat a 780ti for 15 frames because of mantle, but really it's not much of a difference when you are above 60 fps, if you have a 60 Hz monitor and you never run at 60 fps then vsync won't really give you much latency because it's going faster than the gpu,(AFAIK, I could be wrong) the latency issues happen when you are above 60fps, because you wait for the monitor to draw the frame, but under that it's really not significant, plus if you are under the monitors refresh rate, you probably aren't even getting any tearing anyways, and if vsync in your opinion does the same as g-sync, and you  will just use vsync still, then mantle is useless because you are not really using those "extreme frames" since you are limiting yourself to 60

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

i think we should have/need both in the future. None of this exclusivity crap.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Yes it will, when creating an animation, they don't have to worry about rips and tears when going through the frames. My teacher animates things and he said he is greatly looking forward to G-Sync because of how much it will help.

Do you mean during production?

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

Disagree with opening poster, I think gsync has the potential to benefit the average gamer.

The only exception is if your can consistently achieve framerates above your monitor's refresh rate, then normal vsync will be as effective as gsync. For example I have a 60Hz IPS panel. So if I am able to acheive 60fps or more without dips then vsync is as good as gsync for me. But once my framerate dips below the monitor refresh rate then vsync introduces a bit of input lag as the monitor and GPU go out of sync. So in that situation gsync would be better. And even a 780ti dips below 60fps in some games so I would think gsync can benefit everyone potentially.

This coming from an AMD fanboy.

SP games- G SYNC i find more important as i find in these games no earing and stutering is more important than the added fps boost with Mantle as you arent playing competitively 60fps will do and even less than that will do.

MP games- Mantle i find more important as these games are usually cometitive and you want to have smoother gameplay with the added fps boost but if it goes over 60 easily get a 120 or 144 hz monitor.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

AMD and nVidia should man up and make their technologies available to everyone..

g-sync should've been in every monitor in the last few years.. funny how no monitor manufacturer has come up with it before a gpu company did it..

microsoft should abandon the horrible, laggy,crahsy,slow, utterly useless directX, mantle should become open source and completley replace DX.. but that's just my daydreaming..

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

G-sync will be 'needed' when we're used to having it and don't want to deal with not having it.

This. Also, have we seen any real example of Mantle in action yet? We have seen what G-Sync can do, but Mantle petty much just has to be taken on faith.

G-Sync wont take off without support for AMD cards anyway. Budget conscious pc gamers (more frequent with more and more console users switching to pc) will use AMD since they're significantly cheaper for the same performance (280x vs 770). Also the only gsync monitor i can find in the UK is £440, it would be cheaper to buy whatever gpu(s) you need to prevent the frames from dropping below your monitors refresh rate (a decent gpu + gsync monitor is going to cost you well over £750 right now, it would be cheaper to buy 2 780's, 1 780ti or 2 290's).

Point i'm trying to make is, if the price doesn't drop below £300, it's just going to be pointless.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

blah blah blah I'm an AMD fanboy

I play with V-Sync on all my games because I don't feel a difference between using it and not, and I can't play well with screen tearing. Most of my friends that play video games a lot feel the same way.

Wait, you CAN'T tell the difference, but you MUST use it because of tearing?

I have a GTX 650, so unless I want to play on a game that looks like literal crap, I won't be able to feel the awesomeness of 60 frames.

G-Sync would be better for someone in your situation rather than just a low percentage increase in average framerate that Mantle would bring.

I am going to upgrade to a Gigabyte R9 270x soon, which will be able to give me rediculous frames once AMD Mantle for Battlefield 4 comes out.

BF4 has had Mantle since its release almost two months ago, and you won't get 'ridiculous frames' unless you have a GPU with more than 2gb of memory. a 270x cannot max out the game with a frame rate averge higher than 35 at 1080p. >1080p, it's a whole other story.

More gamers will be able to see the difference between 45 frames than 60 frames than the difference of a few fractions of milliseconds that V-Sync includes.

h-whut?

I am not saying that G-Sync eventually be an everything if Nvidia plays it right...

G-Sync kind of IS everything, it allows gamers with lower end hardware (the vast majority) to play EVERY game with higher fluidity, not just games from studios that AMD pays to use Mantle. Unless Mantle replaces DX, it is definitely not going to be a big deal.

but at the moment, AMD's new technology is looking much more appealing to me than G-Sync.

Only because you don't understand G-Sync

This is a very long and disjointed wall of text

Correct.

so anyone below can consilidate my toughts for me because I am very tired right now (yes, I am giving you the permission to copy my thoughts, so go to town, please, because I want Linus to see this and give us his own imput).

'blah blah blah, I don't understand how either technology works, but Mantle sounds really cool and I don't understand what G-Sync does or how it works, so Mantle is better. I also like AMD a lot and am basing my opinion on the fact that I want to play one single game and that game happens to have Mantle. These are my over-generalised comaprisons between two completely different and incompatible technologies'.

Did you watch these videos?

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

In other news, company x's new 4 wheel drive transmission technology is not as useful to monster truck drivers as company y's new tyre reinflation technology will be

Yep, that's another example of comparing unrelated things.

You cant compare them like that. They are two very different things. Its like saying that DirectX is superior to V-Sync. You cant do it. 

you cna compare there use and impact on society. that would work

themselves in hardware software persepctive. that wouldnt work

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Here, watch this video in vlc player, make sure your monitor is set to 60hz and monitor with fraps or something to make sure video runs at 60fps. at around 1:55 they show tripple buffering vsync@45fps and perfect vsync@60fps(looks like gsync) side by side. The difference is more than obvious, here is the video and source:

https://mega.co.nz/#!cVVHDLJS!WVqGkjE9sbDrFRXoUnDRzlKfYRpO5UNh9z49IDEdZCQ

http://www.pcper.com/news/Displays/NVIDIA-G-Sync-Monitors-Limited-Availability-Starting-Today

Having this in every game is FAR more important than the performance improovement that will come from mantle, which is rumored to be around 10-15%.

I am a big fan of AMD, but if they don't adopt gsync by the time I upgrade my video card I will go with nvidia just because of gsync.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

really? I thought they animated at set frame rates, like all other video work (not game related of course).

They would need insanely powerful computers, but we don't have access to those for desktops yet.

the fact that AMD is releasing Mantle for GeForce cards,  means I'm getting an Nvidia card with G-sync and mantle....is this possible?

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've played maybe 1-2 games where I haven't been able to notice turning v-sync on, in relation to mouse lag. That's with the FPS staying locked at 60 and no dipping. I'd rather deal with tearing in any online game that's somewhat competitive then deal with mouse lag. The only thing I'm excited about G-Sync is the fact that it will be v-sync with (reduced) mouse lag. They never said it removed it, but reduced it in the release conference. Some people can't tell the difference between a lot of things that others can, so guess I'll just have to wait and see if I can feel the input lag difference between on and off, before I get too excited. Having G-Sync on a IPS panel would seem to be the most beneficial. Seeing that most games are hard to push above 120hz.

new technology is much better than new API

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

i view g-sync as a technology that should have been there from the start. For what it does, i am curious why no one did it until now. i personally think g-sync will be more useful in the long run. What will happen once every game has optimizations like mantle? it will end up being just another api just like direct x.

Because G-sync isn't easy AT ALL to do. What I heard is that they started working on it 6 years ago. 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

Mantle just gives (who knows how much?) higher frame rates and this can be achieved in many other ways (better GPU, lowering settings, etc). G-sync introduces something new that can improve the appearance of the animation, period.

Too me g-sync is more important, hands down. Though I'm afraid if the module isn't standardized to work with any display input that it won't take off. Still I think it'll be years before we see it in high res, high fidelity displays.