Canon EOS Rebel T6i/750D vs Sony A6000

Go to solution Solved by Marius5013,
5 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

If going Sony get a used a6300 instead of a a6000. Much better value atm. 

The Canon bodies mentioned are nice but if you can stretch to a 77D instead. Thats what i would do. 

I found a used A6300 for a reasonable price, and upon further research, I have decided It's the camera for me, which is why I will contact them. Thanks for the advice

I am looking to get into photography and is looking for an opinion on two cameras.

The Canon EOS Rebel T6i/750D + 18-55mm IS STM - 662  US Dollars

The Sony A6000 + 16-50mm OSS - 580 US Dollars

The Sony A6000 + 16-50mm OSS + 55210mm OSS 910 dollars'

These are all within my price range.

I am looking for a camera which is easy to use and set up, and also great for taking photos (landscape, street) and shooting videos on holidays.

Size is not really a problem for me although a compact camera wouldn't hurt, also be nice if it was easy to transfer images and videos to another device (smartphone, computer). Not really sure what to say, other than. Which one is best?

https://www.pricerunner.dk/pl/29-3042622/Digitalkameraer/Canon-EOS-750D-18-55mm-IS-STM-Sammenlign-Priser

https://www.pricerunner.dk/pl/29-2955792/Digitalkameraer/Sony-Alpha-6000-16-50mm-OSS-Sammenlign-Priser

https://www.pricerunner.dk/pl/29-2955793/Digitalkameraer/Sony-Alpha-6000-16-50mm-OSS-55-210mm-OSS-Sammenlign-Priser

from personal experience i can tell you that literally any of the Rebel models are more than enough for photography. they get the job done

Im still using an old T2i. the RAW files are always great and leave a lot of room for color correction etc.

pretty much all my stuff here is from my ancient T2i (or some with my phone) https://www.instagram.com/omairk/

The rebel line however is not that good for video

I have also used several of the A6xxx sony cameras for video work 

edit 1: the other benefit of going with canon is that even though you will be using an APS-C sensor you can still purchase and use a WIDE variety of canon glass in the future as well as canon EF and EFS-mount lenses

Photography / Finance / Gaming

If you can find a good price on a 35mm lens i would suggest getting the body only - and purchasing a better lens separately. (or just stick with the Kit lens until you outgrow it)

Photography / Finance / Gaming

3 minutes ago, mok said:

from personal experience i can tell you that literally any of the Rebel models are more than enough for photography. they get the job done

Im still using an old T2i. the RAW files are always great and leave a lot of room for color correction etc.

pretty much all my stuff here is from my ancient T2i (or some with my phone) https://www.instagram.com/omairk/

The rebel line however is not that good for video

I have also used several of the A6xxx sony cameras for video work 

I see, have you also tried using the A6000 Sony cameras for photography, if so what is your opinion on it?

I wouldn't mind getting the cheapest camera up there, but I'll put in the extra cash if it's worth it.

1 minute ago, mok said:

If you can find a good price on a 35mm lens i would suggest getting the body only - and purchasing a better lens separately. (or just stick with the Kit lens until you outgrow it)

I think I'll stick with the kit lens until I get a bit more knowledge, plus the bundles I've found are nicely priced compared to everything else in Denmark.

The Canon bodies mentioned are nice but if you can stretch to a 77D instead. Thats what i would do. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

5 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

I found a used A6300 for a reasonable price, and upon further research, I have decided It's the camera for me, which is why I will contact them. Thanks for the advice

Don't go with the a6300. 

You are better off with a Canon 800d or t7i I believe in the US. Its a great camera, its easy to use and learn on, the features are more than what a beginner would need, including the Cost of Glass it will be cheaper than the sony and there's more glass out there, both new and used (which is very important given lens prices, especially considering the premium on sony glass right now) 

Its also more reliable and tough and the battery will last longer. 

Get that with a kit lens, and if you have any money left over, go for the 50mm f/1.8 STM. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

On 14/4/2018 at 9:28 PM, cc143 said:

Don't go with the a6300. 

You are better off with a Canon 800d or t7i I believe in the US. Its a great camera, its easy to use and learn on, the features are more than what a beginner would need, including the Cost of Glass it will be cheaper than the sony and there's more glass out there, both new and used (which is very important given lens prices, especially considering the premium on sony glass right now) 

Its also more reliable and tough and the battery will last longer. 

Get that with a kit lens, and if you have any money left over, go for the 50mm f/1.8 STM. 

I live in Denmark, so the price I've found is really good! The Canon 800D costs a fortune in Denmark.

1 hour ago, Marius5013 said:

I live in Denmark, so the price I've found is really good! The Canon 800D costs a fortune in Denmark.

Have you looked through ebay etc? considered buying from the UK where prices are sort of better? 

The price for the sony is great, but all things considered, unless you expressly need 4k recording or focus peaking, I don't see a reason to go with that.  I do believe the 800d covers the needs of way more people than the sony, which I would only recommend to someone with very specific needs at this point. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

On 4/14/2018 at 2:14 PM, Marius5013 said:

congrats on your camera! I also got a great deal on my a6500, and the sale what what turned me over to buying it. You will find the a6500 a significant improvement for video, as long as your aren't trying to film yourself haha.