New Monitor/TV

uuashington

I have been using the LG 43UD79-B (the 43" one that Linus reviewed) because I have room for a monitor or TV but not both and it seemed like a good compromise. Unfortunately, it had a power delivery issue and I am being given store credit at Fry's because they could not repair it or something. Anyway, I noticed that my usage was TV > games > pc work > movies because I end up doing most work outside of my apartment on my laptop. This leads me to think that I might be better off getting a TV instead of getting UD again.

Fry's currently has the LG B7A on sale (probably because new models are coming out?) and rtings says it is their favorite OLED right now. I like the picture quality and 1080p 120Hz. I do not play games that require super low input lag, but I do notice it playing Rocket League on some TVs. Fortunately it is rated as having decent input lag.

The problem is, I do not know if burn in could be an issue. Despite doing most of my work on my laptop, I still would have chrome open a fair amount and MATLAB sometimes. Should I not even bother considering OLEDs? I really do not want to get a screen that I can easily damage. One thing to note is that I would likely get some sort of protection plan that could help. I know they are rarely worth it but I have had some crap luck (two broken monitors that were not my fault, multiple phones that were) so I have actually come out (kind of) ahead. 

If it is a bad idea, any suggestions? I was hoping for the BFGDs but given the prices I saw for the 144Hz g-sync monitors, I doubt that they will be in my price range.