Asus PG27UQ $3,000 price tag is insane!

Hey all!

Asus has decided to allow PG27UQ pre-orders through various retailers in Europe. The monitor's price varies from retailer to retailer, but the round-about price tag is about $3,000 USD. This is a steep price, considering that most consumers were expecting a price that fell between $1,500 - $2,000 USD.

The floor is open; discuss.

21 minutes ago, TRITIUMNITR0X said:

Hey all!

Asus has decided to allow PG27UQ pre-orders through various retailers in Europe. The monitor's price varies from retailer to retailer, but the round-about price tag is about $3,000 USD. This is a steep price, considering that most consumers were expecting a price that fell between $1,500 - $2,000 USD.

The floor is open; discuss.

Honestly the price isn't that surprising to me. People who were expecting $1500–2000 probably aren't considering the cost of implementing HDR on an LCD. Compare for example the Dell U2718Q (around $500) with the HDR equivalent, the UP2718Q (around $1400). That's for a 4K 60 Hz monitor. HDR on an LCD requires a full array local dimming backlight, which is really expensive.

4K 144 Hz also requires a much more expensive (and newly developed) panel, as well as a newly developed display controller to support DisplayPort 1.4 with DSC, which is a capability that hasn't been used before. There is a lot of new hardware going into this, and that inevitably means the cost will be much higher than normal to pay off the development cost. Couple that with a full array local dimming wide gamut backlight and... well like I said, the price (while insane) isn't much of a surprise to me.

(Keep in mind also I'm talking about the cost of actually implementing HDR which this monitor does, not just making a normal monitor and saying it has HDR when it really doesn't, which is what most monitors do. Fake HDR may not be that expensive, but I'm talking about real HDR, which is quite expensive.)

2 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Honestly the price isn't that surprising to me. People who were expecting $1500–2000 probably aren't considering the cost of implementing HDR on an LCD. Compare for example the Dell U2718Q (around $500) with the HDR equivalent, the UP2718Q (around $1400). That's for a 4K 60 Hz monitor. HDR on an LCD requires a full array local dimming backlight, which is really expensive.

4K 144 Hz also requires a much more expensive (and newly developed) panel, as well as a newly developed display controller to support DisplayPort 1.4 with DSC, which is a capability that hasn't been used before. There is a lot of new hardware going into this, and that inevitably means the cost will be much higher than normal to pay off the development cost. Couple that with a full array local dimming wide gamut backlight and... well like I said, the price (while insane) isn't much of a surprise to me.

(Keep in mind also I'm talking about the cost of actually implementing HDR which this monitor does, not just making a normal monitor and saying it has HDR when it really doesn't, which is what most monitors do. Fake HDR may not be that expensive, but real HDR is.)

i think to fully assess HDR, a nice evaluation of the local dimming as well as highlight brightness. probably throw in some console game / cinematic HDR testing, since it's a bit more established compared to PC (it is getting there tho). 

My biggest concern is that this monitor is open for pre-order, but it hasn't been tested and reviewed in-depth by trusted faces. People like myself look to Youtubers, such as Linus, for their input on certain products, primarily because their seal of approval is a good compass for emptying my wallet. A $3,000 price might be justified with all the technology incorporated into it, but we don't know if the tech even works outside of events like CES.

I think that high % of the outrage might be from people who frequently asked if they should buy Asus' or Acer's top monitors now or wait for the constantly rescheduled new panels. Only they were not really aware that they were waiting for a whole different class of product.

It was like asking if I should buy a BMW now or a Rolls Royce later.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones