What's a good fan curve for a Ryzen 7 system?

Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

Honestly, this is a question best for you to answer. You need to know how fast is to loud and what temps you want to achieve with the speeds. Its recommended to keep the chips below 75c at load. As long as you achieve this, you can tune the fan curve around this to satisfy your ears. 

I've got a 1700 but it's always run at the motherboard's "Standard" fan curve which is running at 1900-2000rpm all the time, period. Today's a reasonably hot day and I noticed my CPU idling at 39-40 after I got it warmed up from gaming. Normally during the cold winter we're coming out of, it idled at 33-34 even after gaming. As I'm typing this it's fluctuating from 34-38 after having gone into my motherboard UEFI(BIOS?) and changed the curve to "Performance mode" which bumps it up to a constant 2100-2200 rpm. Some performance mode. 

Anyway, while I was in my BIOS, or what I think I can call BIOS since it really just said UEFI setup, it gave me an option to set a fan curve by outlining 5 temp targets and the fan speed percentage to hit whenever the CPU hits them, but I'm completely uninformed on what a good curve should be. For my GPU I try to keep it in the mid 60s under high load at most, but I understand that GPUs get a lot hotter while gaming than CPUs.

What's a good curve if I want to keep it nice and cool for the summer that's quickly approaching? In an ideal scenario I'd love to keep it below 50 under non-rendering conditions, but I don't know what % speed is what, and a Google search yielded nothing, so I have to fall upon the PC enthusiast community to help on this one, hopefully those of you with Ryzen systems at home!

Currently rocking an Asrock AB350 Pro4(ATX) in an S340 Elite with no glass panel on and both molex exhaust fans plugged into the PSU and running at whatever it is they're running at. I have a Ryzen 7 1700 at stock with the stock cooler, which I can't really control the color of because it didn't come with an RGB connector, or if it did I lost it during the build process and will have to look for. So far my CPU has never topped 55 degrees C while under full load and I'd love to keep it that way.

I do plan to buy 2 replacement fans which can plug into my motherboard so I can control them, someday, to help with airflow, but not for a couple weeks at the very least. I have the glass side panel off because I have a giant cable running through where it should be, and because it gets toasty if I keep it on. I have a problem with dust getting in so I'm probably going to put it back on when I get those replacement fans I mentioned. Planning to get 3 replacements, 1 intake through the front and 2 exhaust replacing the stock S340 Elite fans.

Also I should ask, why is it that my CPU's temperature constantly rises when in the BIOS, by around 0.2 degrees C every 2 seconds? It's consistent in that rise and it's sort of scaring me as to whether the BIOS is reporting my temps wrong or if CPUID/Windows is reporting it wrong.

Honestly, this is a question best for you to answer. You need to know how fast is to loud and what temps you want to achieve with the speeds. Its recommended to keep the chips below 75c at load. As long as you achieve this, you can tune the fan curve around this to satisfy your ears. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

honestly not worth touching, that small temperature difference isn't gonna do ANYTHING to hurt the CPU and it's not worth the added noise of that fan running at a higher RPM.

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

honestly not worth touching, that small temperature difference isn't gonna do ANYTHING to hurt the CPU and it's not worth the added noise of that fan running at a higher RPM.

See from what I can hear so far, the thing doesn't get terribly loud, just a small humming, and the weather's only going to get warmer from here as summer hits.

What temp would you say warrants a fan curve adjustment when it's my average temperature through regular use?

Just now, StillKindaNew said:

See from what I can hear so far, the thing doesn't get terribly loud, just a small humming, and the weather's only going to get warmer from here as summer hits.

What temp would you say warrants a fan curve adjustment when it's my average temperature through regular use?

it's not the level so much as it is the tone, when that fan really ramps up it's got a real annoying tone to it, while it's "quieter" then all my other fans I can identify it from all the other fans in the room, idle temperatures aren't really worth worrying about unless you installed the cooler wrong and the thing is jumping up to 90c+, you only need to worry about load temperatures when you are gaming or doing something along that level and ideally you want to peak out around mid 70's but even low 80's is generally considered fine, stock fan curve while mining at 3.9Ghz and my 1700 doesn't exceed 61c peak temperature.

5 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

it's not the level so much as it is the tone, when that fan really ramps up it's got a real annoying tone to it, while it's "quieter" then all my other fans I can identify it from all the other fans in the room, idle temperatures aren't really worth worrying about unless you installed the cooler wrong and the thing is jumping up to 90c+, you only need to worry about load temperatures when you are gaming or doing something along that level and ideally you want to peak out around mid 70's but even low 80's is generally considered fine, stock fan curve while mining at 3.9Ghz and my 1700 doesn't exceed 61c peak temperature.

Thanks for the info, man, really appreciated!