Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VegetableStu

Stern Internal Apple Memo about Leaking. Leaks.

Posted · Original PosterOP
Spoiler

Last month, Apple caught and fired the employee responsible for leaking details from an internal, confidential meeting about Apple's software roadmap. Hundreds of software engineers were in attendance, and thousands more within the organization received details of its proceedings. One person betrayed their trust. 

The employee who leaked the meeting to a reporter later told Apple investigators that he did it because he thought he wouldn't be discovered. But people who leak -- whether they're Apple employees, contractors or suppliers -- do get caught and they're getting caught faster than ever. 

In many cases, leakers don't set out to leak. Instead, people who work for Apple are often targeted by press, analysts and bloggers who befriend them on professional and social networks like LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook and begin to pry for information. While it may seem flattering to be approached, it's important to remember that you're getting played. The success of these outsiders is measured by obtaining Apple's secrets from you and making them public. A scoop about an unreleased Apple product can generate massive traffic for a publication and financially benefit the blogger or reporter who broke it. But the Apple employee who leaks has everything to lose. 

The impact of a leak goes far beyond the people who work on a project. 

Leaking Apple's work undermines everyone at Apple and the years they've invested in creating Apple products. "Thousands of people work tirelessly for months to deliver each major software release," says UIKit lead Josh Shaffer, whose team's work was part of the iOS 11 leak last fall. "Seeing it leak is devastating for all of us." 

The impact of a leak goes beyond the people who work on a particular project -- it's felt throughout the company. Leaked information about a new product can negatively impact sales of the current model; give rival companies more time to begin on a competitive response; and lead to fewer sales of that new product when it arrives. "We want the chance to tell our customers why the product is great, and not have that done poorly by someone else," says Greg Joswiak of Product Marketing. 

Investments by Apple have had an enormous impact on the company's ability to identify and catch leakers. Just before last September's special event, an employee leaked a link to the gold master of iOS 11 to the press, again believing he wouldn't be caught. The unreleased OS detailed soon-to-be-announced software and hardware including iPhone X. Within days, the leaker was identified through an internal investigation and fired. Global Security's digital forensics also helped catch several employees who were feeding confidential details about new products including iPhone X, iPad Pro and AirPods to a blogger at 9to5Mac. 
Last year Apple caught 29 leakers. 

Leakers in the supply chain are getting caught, too. Global Security has worked hand-in-hand with suppliers to prevent theft of Apple's intellectual property as well as to identify individuals who try to exceed their access. They've also partnered with suppliers to identify vulnerabilities -- both physical and technological -- and ensure their security levels meet or exceed Apple's expectations. These programs have nearly eliminated the theft of prototypes and products from factories, caught leakers and prevented many others from leaking in the first place. 

Leakers do not simply lose their jobs at Apple. In some cases, they face jail time and massive fines for network intrusion and theft of trade secrets both classified as federal crimes. In 2017, Apple caught 29 leakers. 12 of those were arrested. Among those were Apple employees, contractors and some partners in Apple's supply chain. These people not only lose their jobs, they can face extreme difficulty finding employment elsewhere. "The potential criminal consequences of leaking are real," says Tom Moyer of Global Security, "and that can become part of your personal and professional identity forever." 

While they carry serious consequences, leaks are completely avoidable. They are the result of a decision by someone who may not have considered the impact of their actions. "Everyone comes to Apple to do the best work of their lives -- work that matters and contributes to what all 135,000 people in this company are doing together," says Joswiak. "The best way to honor those contributions is by not leaking."

via Macrumors (... oh wow it just hit me)

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/04/13/apple-warns-employees-about-leaking-to-media/

not much depth in this, so...

In 2017, Apple said it caught 29 leakers and that 12 of those people were arrested. "These people not only lose their jobs, they can face extreme difficulty finding employment elsewhere," the company said in the memo.

the daughter youtube vlogger of that engineer comes to mind... (although to be honest guy shouldn't have let his daughter near the phone in the first place)

It also warns Apple employees against befriending members of the press, analysts, and bloggers and "getting played."

... MARQUES?! o_O

so here's the scorecard, both ways

Investments by Apple have had an enormous impact on the company's ability to identify and catch leakers. Just before last September's special event, an employee leaked a link to the gold master of iOS 11 to the press, again believing he wouldn't be caught. The unreleased OS detailed soon-to-be-announced software and hardware including iPhone X. Within days, the leaker was identified through an internal investigation and fired. Global Security's digital forensics also helped catch several employees who were feeding confidential details about new products including iPhone X, iPad Pro and AirPods to a blogger at 9to5Mac. 
Last year Apple caught 29 leakers.

now to wait for Xiaomi and Samsung to copy this statement

.... by the way, anyone caught the leaker for this?

hmm so theres actually a half decent chance we wont know what future iphones are like before they arrive.

Tho we already know they usually are nearly the same... just refreshes lol.

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.4 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Oh the irony

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Irony of the leak isn't lost on me, but Apple is in the right on this topic. Especially considering they've got an entire, cut-throat market that copies everything they do, their IP & Plans are insanely valuable. Considering they're one of the wealthiest companies in *human history*, there's a bit more to all of this.

Though the fact the Memo itself is probably poisoned with tracking information also shouldn't be lost on us. This is a great way to flush out other leakers.

Ain't this the second time?

Or am I just experiencing Deja Vu?

Explicitly detailed Deja Vu.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Ain't this the second time?

Or am I just experiencing Deja Vu?

Explicitly detailed Deja Vu.

I think the last time was a video of a meeting that was held internally to discuss preventing leaks at Apple.

Just now, WMGroomAK said:

I think the last time was a video of a meeting that was held internally to discuss preventing leaks at Apple.

Ah, so a little of both then.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

AMD & Nvidia leak as a marketing strategy. Apple has reasons to never leak, given the markets they are in.

I can't see nvidia leaking information intentionally, they are in the same boat as apple with regard to market lead and financials.   

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Though the fact the Memo itself is probably poisoned with tracking information also shouldn't be lost on us. This is a great way to flush out other leakers.

imagine the hashphrases

"Bob this isn't funny anymore with leaking 'frivolous' info. you're fired"

Gotta protect that IP

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

Introducing the iPrison

Want to say only what we allow you to say? Join us today!

You want your opinion and choice? Nope we'll take it all away and you're gonna like it.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

8 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

.. MARQUES?! o_O

I'd say that's more talking about someone like Justine Ezarik aka iJustine, since Steve Jobs took a restraining order out against her, heh. Especially since she is California based, seems waaaaaaaaay more likely than Marques, since he is what in New Jersey? But realistically, I don't see MKBHD, iJustine, Jonathon Morris, Austin Evans etc going to such low levels to get the "scoop" on new Apple stuff. They all want a working relationship with Apple, which up until recently was not really a thing they did with press like that..

I'd leave that to an outlet like Gizmodo US. I remember when they got their hands on a prototype iPhone 4 all the way back in 2010, and released countless detailed articles on it, they got themselves blacklisted from Apple events for a long time, they might even still be blacklisted.

PC

Case: Ncase M1 CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k MB: ASUS Strix Z270I RAM: 16GB DDR4 Kingston Fury 2400Mhz SSD: Intel 600P M.2 512GB | WD Blue M.2 500GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Gold Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2, Noctua NF-A9x14

NAS

CPU: Intel Core i3 6100 MB: ASRock B150M ITX RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR4-2133 SSD: Samsung 850-EVO 250GB HDD: WD RED 3TB x2

Cooler: Noctua L9i Case: Silverstone CS01 PSU: Silverstone 300W SFX 80+ Bronze Fans: Noctua NF-F12

MacBook Air 2014

CPU: Intel Dual Core i5 @ 1.4GHz RAM: 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SSD: 128GB GPU: Intel 5000 HD Graphics

5 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

wait, this wasn't a joke?! O_O

Sadly no according to Google. I honestly thought she was joking when she casually said it in the video she did with Linus.. I like Justine, but damn she's a little bit crazy.

PC

Case: Ncase M1 CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k MB: ASUS Strix Z270I RAM: 16GB DDR4 Kingston Fury 2400Mhz SSD: Intel 600P M.2 512GB | WD Blue M.2 500GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Gold Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2, Noctua NF-A9x14

NAS

CPU: Intel Core i3 6100 MB: ASRock B150M ITX RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR4-2133 SSD: Samsung 850-EVO 250GB HDD: WD RED 3TB x2

Cooler: Noctua L9i Case: Silverstone CS01 PSU: Silverstone 300W SFX 80+ Bronze Fans: Noctua NF-F12

MacBook Air 2014

CPU: Intel Dual Core i5 @ 1.4GHz RAM: 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SSD: 128GB GPU: Intel 5000 HD Graphics

25 minutes ago, Virus__ said:

Sadly no according to Google. I honestly thought she was joking when she casually said it in the video she did with Linus.. I like Justine, but damn she's a little bit crazy.

O_O

At least she doesn't seem to portray a personality that warrants another restraining order today o_o

(I still can't get over the part where she flushed a bee and the editors throw in Colony Collapse Disorder imagery, LOL)

17 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

O_O

At least she doesn't seem to portray a personality that warrants another restraining order today o_o

(I still can't get over the part where she flushed a bee and the editors throw in Colony Collapse Disorder imagery, LOL)

The ones that can hide it are the ones you have to watch out for. Or at least that's what people say. Honestly I wonder why it was put in place though.

The only "safe" way to leak something is to take a picture of the information, scrub it of all the geotag shit, and then leak that.  Original documents can have all sorts of watermarking and invisible characters in them, and I wouldn't be surprised if company laptops have tracking of all print / save / email.

Workstation: 9900KF @ 5.0Ghz || ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate || Gigabyte 1080Ti || G.Skill DDR4-3800 @ 3600 4x8GB || Corsair AX1500i || 11 gallon whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 8600K@ 4.9Ghz || Gigabyte Z270 Gaming 9  || EVGA Titan X (Maxwell) || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad push only.

Server Router (Untangle): 8350K @ 4.7Ghz || ASRock Z370 ITX || 2x8GB || PicoPSU 250W, running on AX1200i from Server Storage || CPU watercooled, 11 gallon whole-house loop.

Server VM/Plex/HTTPS: E5-2699v4 (22 core!) || Asus X99m WS || GT 630 || Corsair RM650x || CPU watercooled, 11 gallon whole-house loop.

Server Storage: Pent. G3220 || Z87 Gryphon mATX || || LSI 9280i + Adaptec + Intel Expander || 4x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 3x8TB Seagate Archive Backup, Corsair AX1200i (drives) Corsair RM450 (machine) || CPU watercooled, 11 gallon whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G3 (Intel 8350U).

3 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

The only "safe" way to leak something is to take a picture of the information, scrub it of all the geotag shit, and then leak that.  Original documents can have all sorts of watermarking and invisible characters in them, and I wouldn't be surprised if company laptops have tracking of all print / save / email.

doesn't get over leaving imprints by wording and phrasing. Like one paper says "some of these" while another says "a few of some"

3 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

doesn't get over leaving imprints by wording and phrasing. Like one paper says "some of these" while another says "a few of some"

Yup, the only safe way is to memorize the information and meet in dark alleys with trenchcoats on.

On 4/14/2018 at 7:59 AM, Virus__ said:

I know I am a little late but can you tell me where it said that he had a restraining order filled for her I can't find it and wanted to verify it is correct

47 minutes ago, Spotandjake said:

I know I am a little late but can you tell me where it said that he had a restraining order filled for her I can't find it and wanted to verify it is correct

Please don't revive old threads for reasons like these. Its better to start new thread and reference older.

Here:

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv