Silverstone Releases first Flex ATX Power Supply

Okjoek

Source:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/silverstone-releases-first-flex-atx-psu,36879.html

Silverstone's Product Page:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=784&area=en

Quotes from article:

"introduction of the FX350-G"

"Thanks to its super compact dimensions and 350W output, this unit achieves a pretty high power density score, reaching 707 Watts per liter."

"80 PLUS Gold certified"

"Given the PSU's compact dimension and the small, 40mm fan, we don't have high hopes for silent operation."

My opinions:

I was considering geting the InWin Chopin which uses a Flex ATX PSU for an APU build.

I really feel the ATX PSU form factor has been king long enough. I mean can't we atleast move on to something like SFX-L?

I honestly don't remember the last time I listened to a 40mm fan. Are they really that bad?

My reaction when I read the noise comment was "B***h, I can't hear people knocking on my door through my headphones, how is noise even a concern?" (Status Audio CB-1)

I honestly kept forgetting Flex-ATX was a thing. It's a motherboard form factor on my Modmat, but I just somehow never really noticed it.

ATX may have well been the king long enough, long live eATX.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

9 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

Get it up to 500 watt, then we'll talk.

What's the best GPUs you should be able to run on 350W assuming you're using the average 65W CPU? I'd imagine probably something like I've got, the RX 460 as I've never seen mine use over 72W.

Pretty sure an RX 480 wouldn't be good I think I seem to remember review a graph showing 300W peak power draw, dunno about a 4/570 though.

3 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

What's the best GPUs you should be able to run on 350W assuming you're using the average 65W CPU? I'd imagine probably something like I've got, the RX 460 as I've never seen mine use over 72W.

Pretty sure an RX 480 wouldn't be good I think I remember a graph showing 300W peak power draw, dunno about a 4/570 though.

Not because I'm doing some crazy SLI or some core i9 rig, no, just for the insurance that it won't cut off or light on fire while trying to play some games or rendering video.

24 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

ATX may have well been the king long enough, long live mATX.

FTFY, but no seriously unless you're doing HEDT/server chips like threadripper, packing a dozen drives or God-forbid you're playing with Multi-GPU, then why go ATX?

I use ATX still because I'm waiting for something to break so I have an excuse to go probably mATX as it's more SFF without incurring as many penalties as ITX, though I would be willing to go smaller if AMD or someone would make a NUC/barebone with the 2400G or whatever comes later for APUs.

1 minute ago, Okjoek said:

FTFY, but no seriously unless you're doing HEDT/server chips like threadripper, packing a dozen drives or God-forbid you're playing with Multi-GPU, then why go ATX?

I use ATX still because I'm waiting for something to break so I have an excuse to go probably mATX as it's more SFF without incurring as many penalties as ITX, though I would be willing to go smaller if AMD or someone would make a NUC/barebone with the 2400G or whatever comes later for APUs.

I use ATX because I like the option to expand more even if I ultimately won't end up doing it. If I wanted to, I could pick up a better PSU and another GTX 780 and run them in SLI. I couldn't do that nearly as well with an mATX board. Plus let's face it, mATX boards look pretty weird in mid-tower cases.

Plus, in the future, I might build a rig that has dozens of drives and I'll need all the available SATA ports a fullsize ATX board has to offer.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I use ATX because I like the option to expand more even if I ultimately won't end up doing it. If I wanted to, I could pick up a better PSU and another GTX 780 and run them in SLI. I couldn't do that nearly as well with an mATX board. Plus let's face it, mATX boards look pretty weird in mid-tower cases.

Plus, in the future, I might build a rig that has dozens of drives and I'll need all the available SATA ports a fullsize ATX board has to offer.

I guess I just think in the mindset of a consumer while trying to be enthusiast. Prosumer? lol

Just now, Okjoek said:

I guess I just think in the mindset of a consumer while trying to be enthusiast. Prosumer? lol

I'm definitely an enthusiast lol

47 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Pretty sure an RX 480 wouldn't be good I think I seem to remember review a graph showing 300W peak power draw, dunno about a 4/570 though.

1050 ti or 560(x)

looks cool. reminds me of that modded psu they used in the smallest SLI rig video. But it has like half the wattage....

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

On 4/14/2018 at 9:16 AM, Okjoek said:

It's the same form factor used in 1U and 2U servers which PSU wise normally get charged ridiculous amounts so these are excellent for home users. A 500W model would help a lot though.

In a 2U server with 12 HDDs that's 120W alone, add on 6 fans at 24W plus CPU 100W, ram/motherboard and other additional devices for 40W and that's 284W. Doesn't leave much room for a GPU and doesn't take in to account peak CPU usage which is over 100W on a high performance one.

500W dual EPS would be perfect for me.

Edit:

Like this https://www.newegg.com/global/nz/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338120&cm_re=flex_atx_power_supply-_-17-338-120-_-Product