Intel Core i7 8086K

NumLock21
3 minutes ago, porina said:

It is overclocking, just the mobo doing it for you.

yes but you know what I mean, it doesn't require manually setting up voltages or changing clock speeds.  It's about as close to the turbo button as we have these days :P

Also even though you're technically pushing it beyond the stock config, you're not making it run any faster than it already could, you're just making more cores do it at once.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

5GHz on 1 core sadly :(.

Watch how some OEMs are gonna try to enable Enhanced Multicore Turbo for it.

I thought the latest turbo boost tech was for 2 cores?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

the only real benefit is free Floatplane :D

I wouldn't call that a benefit.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's about as close to the turbo button as we have these days

MSI's game boost is closer.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Turbo to 5GHZ, means you can probably OC beyond that. 6GHz would be nice.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

We need to bring the Turbo Button back.

Wasn't that more of a "slow down" button? It would be nice to have a button that would 1 press OC or back to stock for stability.

tumblr_ohj18m7cZh1rn5gv3o1_500.gif

34 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

Actually tho it would've been cooler if it ran at 4.77GHz just as the icing on the cake

Who knows, maybe it will have an all core boost of 4.77GHz and a single core boost of 5GHz.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

How is that not a benefit?

Habe you not read my opinion on LTT's content?

I'd say Bitwit's quality is petering off as well.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

42 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Now I wish I had a job. Christ, this I'm smiling so hard about.

@NumLock21 The 8086 wasn't their first CPU though, the 4004 was :P

Fun fact, as you correctly stated the 4004 was Intel's first CPU but it wasn't the world's first. That accolade goes to the Four Phase AL1 which released 2 whole years before the 4004.

The thing with CPUs this early is they were literally calculators compressed into one chip, I know that sounds odd as all CPUs are calculators but you know what I mean. They were designed to run calculators of the time period without the need for multiple chips handling different parts of the logic array.

Pretty much everything from the AL1 to the Intel 8080 were designed to power calculators, it wasn't until the 8086 when Intel moved to 16 bit and introduced the X86 architecture that CPUs became what we think of today and IMO Intel owe much of their huge popularity to IBM, if IBM hadn't used Intel 8086 CPUs in the original IBM PC things might have turned out very differently.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

20 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

I thought the latest turbo boost tech was for 2 cores?

Coffee lake doesn't support Intel Max Turbo 3.0 though unless I'm mistaken.

I think  it's only supported on X299 Skylake X.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Honestly even if its like $200 - $300  more than a normal i7 8700k I'll buy it for two reasons one a siliconlottery i7 that can do 5.2ghz is $659.99 and two its a 40th anniversary chip that alone is worth the price considering the resale value will be high. 

24 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Will it use Mayo or solder as TIM?

It will use this

Spoiler

mayochup-heinz.thumb.jpg.5cce380c56695db608be661bdc34e92e.jpg

@AluminiumTech Only their Core i9 has Turbo Boost 3.0. On X99 their Broadwell-E also have Turbo Boost 3.0.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Fun fact, as you correctly stated the 4004 was Intel's first CPU but it wasn't the world's first. That accolade goes to the Four Phase AL1 which released 2 whole years before the 4004.

The thing with CPUs this early is they were literally calculators compressed into one chip, I know that sounds odd as all CPUs are calculators but you know what I mean. They were designed to run calculators of the time period without the need for multiple chips handling different parts of the logic array.

Pretty much everything from the AL1 to the Intel 8080 were designed to power calculators, it wasn't until the 8086 when Intel moved to 16 bit and introduced the X86 architecture that CPUs became what we think of today and IMO Intel owe much of their huge popularity to IBM, if IBM hadn't used Intel 8086 CPUs in the original IBM PC things might have turned out very differently.

The history of CPUs is always one that's fun to actually learn about :P Too bad they don't teach it properly in most schools.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

5 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

The history of CPUs is always one that's fun to actually learn about :P Too bad they don't teach it properly in most schools.

Yeah, I love the history of tech in general. That and obscure tech are 2 subjects I spend hours reading about or watching videos about.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

21 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

It will use this

Hide contents

mayochup-heinz.thumb.jpg.5cce380c56695db608be661bdc34e92e.jpg

@AluminiumTech Only their Core i9 has Turbo Boost 3.0. On X99 their Broadwell-E also have Turbo Boost 3.0.

Nah, they get it custom made

Spoiler

mayochup-heinz.jpg.8c2bbe3c757759cad800a8db00b0eecb.thumb.jpg.42c2650ba95722952842814233643153.jpg

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

15 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Nah, they get it custom made

Hide contents

mayochup-heinz.jpg.8c2bbe3c757759cad800a8db00b0eecb.thumb.jpg.42c2650ba95722952842814233643153.jpg

Oh... oh you're good.

49 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

It will use this

Fun fact, that's fry sauce and the west coast has had it for decades, so Heinz can go fuck themselves for trying to claim that they invented it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

Wasn't that more of a "slow down" button? It would be nice to have a button that would 1 press OC or back to stock for stability.

-snip-

or OC just when you need it. (i.e. playing a game where you want every ounce of performance)

and then turn it off when your done/just doing light use to increase lifespan of chip.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

With the 8700k specifically as far as I know it's actually pretty easy to get that

>Pretty easy

There's the problem.

With all the normies running around plastering their 5GHz 8700Ks all over the show it hasn't became special anymore. Now any pleb can do it. Instead focus must shift to HCC CPUs achieving such a marvelous result. Only the enthusiasts can save us now from complete normie takeover.

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Turbo to 5GHZ, means you can probably OC beyond that. 6GHz would be nice.

>6GHz.

You're a pretty funny guy.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

4 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

>Pretty easy

There's the problem.

With all the normies running around plastering their 5GHz 8700Ks all over the show it hasn't became special anymore. Now any pleb can do it. Instead focus must shift to HCC CPUs achieving such a marvelous result. Only the enthusiasts can save us now from complete normie takeover.

>6GHz.

You're a pretty funny guy.

Doesn't reaching 6GHz require LN2? Would be nice if you can now do it with just air cooler.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Id get one just for that sticker

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

47 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Doesn't reaching 6GHz require LN2? Would be nice if you can now do it with just air cooler.

Absolutely. Nobody is going to go near that clock for a while. Even with phase/cascade it'll be quite difficult.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

We need to bring the Turbo Button back.

I'll entrench forever on the idea of prehistoric PCs being superior to current PCs until I can switch between stock and an OC profile with a push of a hardware button.

Booting to BIOS? Loading preset? Save & restart? Ain't nobody got time for that!

(I can settle for a knob flipping through increasingly aggressive profiles. Just so that I can "turn it to 11". Once, most likely.)

2 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Wasn't that more of a "slow down" button?

Well, it was in the sense that there was no reason not to have the highest speed enabled, so typically pressing it would imply switching turbo off from its normal on state.

In the end, the button switched between a slower and a faster mode, so what to call it is a matter of conventions ;)