Intel released Core i5+, i7+ and i9+ with Optane memory bundled

Djole123

So, Intel has been struggling lately to push Optane memory to the masses, and one of those reasons is it's not very readily available, and they have a solution

intel_core_plus_678_678x452.jpg.2e9b3be5993459211f2b1aa08c375dbc.jpg

Welcome the Core i5+, i7+ and i9+ CPUs that combine the speediness of the Coffee Lake CPU and the Optane caching.

While this isn't some new groundbreaking platform like Ryzen II is, it should help push Optane to more people.

For desktops, there are three SKUs available:

• Intel Core i7+ 8700 (BO80684I78700)—$340
  • Intel Core i5+ 8500 (BO80684I58500)—$240
  • Intel Core i5+ 8400 (BO80684I58400)—$215

The price delta of around 30$ is quite negligible considering that a basic Optane chip costs around 40$, but it's better than nothing if you don't have it available.

Personally I think this is just a marketing trick, but I'd love to think what you guys have to say.

Source:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12644/intels-core-i5-core-i7-cpus-with-bundled-optane-ssds-hit-retail

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

so you can literally choose between an 8700 + optane or 8700k

I'd go for the k variant... idk optane just really isn't worth it to me with an SSD boot drive that most people are using now anyway.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Toss in a SSD and call it "Core I Plus"? Butwhy.GIF

Optane is nice but 16GB isn't enough for an OS drive, that isn't a bad bundle deal though it should be on the 8700K also.

Optane cache still stupid

Just get a 120GB SSD and use half for caching with RST

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

The fact it is not on the 8700k just seems like it's something where the 8700K sells fine on its own. They'd like to give someone that might normally only buy an i3 to have that little extra incentive to go up to an i5 of 'Oh hey I'll save money and get a faster computer too' 

So yeah, I think it's just a marketing thing. I doubt optane cache would have that much of a real-world impact anyway. 

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

1 hour ago, Nicnac said:

looks like they made too much of that optane....

Well that happens when you make them uselessly small and try to sell them with a stupid niche of "Remember those spinning rust drives? We can make them faster! Because that's something people are still looking into in 2018 not that it hasn't been tried and failed for years now in the form of hybrid sshds!"

Seriously they should just give them away to schools: I'm sure students can put Linux on them and use as really tiny and really fast boot drives.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Well that happens when you make them uselessly small and try to sell them with a stupid niche of "Remember those spinning rust drives? We can make them faster! Because that's something people are still looking into in 2018 not that it hasn't been tried and failed for years now in the form of hybrid sshds!"

Seriously they should just give them away to schools: I'm sure students can put Linux on them and use as really tiny and really fast boot drives.

that would be cool!

But yea, as it stands these are a waste of flash storage which is already high in demand...

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Why does everyone keep saying ryzen 2 is groundbreaking? All it really is an upgrade to the original ryzens. Theres nothing revolutionary about ryzen 2

1 hour ago, LoganTNZ said:

Why does everyone keep saying ryzen 2 is groundbreaking? All it really is an upgrade to the original ryzens. Theres nothing revolutionary about ryzen 2

Probably the confusion everyone keeps causing when people keep calling Ryzen+ and Ryzen 2 interchangeably.

Ryzen 2 is next year on 7 nm. Ryzen+ is the non-apu 2000 series processors being released this month.

Though, I pretty sure you meant to post this in the other thread and not this one.

I would love to see them allow Optane to work on more than just the main drive, would really open up the market I'd think

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

20 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Every day I see PCPartPicker posts where people are planning on using a 2TB+ mechanical HDD as their main drive with some dink OS SSD. 

So there is a use case for these things.  My whole desktop is SSD based, but 1TB is not enough for anything but a  small game collection when you have games using close to 100GB a pop now.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Every day I see PCPartPicker posts where people are planning on using a 2TB+ mechanical HDD as their main drive with some dink OS SSD. 

So there is a use case for these things.  My whole desktop is SSD based, but 1TB is not enough for anything but a  small game collection when you have games using close to 100GB a pop now.

Yeah I see people make stupid choices everyday as well, you really think the predatory tactic of catering to the ignorant and uninformed pays out long term?

Because I don't.

-------

Current Rig

-------

11 hours ago, normpearii said:

Probably the confusion everyone keeps causing when people keep calling Ryzen+ and Ryzen 2 interchangeably.

Ryzen 2 is next year on 7 nm. Ryzen+ is the non-apu 2000 series processors being released this month.

Though, I pretty sure you meant to post this in the other thread and not this one.

Lol Zen+ is ryzen 2, Zen2 is ryzen 3.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc