AMD’s second-generation Ryzen processors are now available for preorder

Message added by Crunchy Dragon

Please do not turn this thread into a fanboy AMD/Intel argument, or a debate about the legitimacy of NDAs.

30 minutes ago, RyzenDoctor said:

Preordered a 2600x for my brother's new computer =) His current machine is sporting an Fx8150 8 core Zambezi processor in a Gigabyte 990fxa ud7 motherboard, and a GTX 780. God bless him, he is worried that the Ryzen 2600x may not be much of an upgrade xD and was content with a GTX 1060

Nice. I'm on a fx 6300 based system and I wouldn't call it a potato just yet. It's still got a couple years left before I'll turn it to a linux machine or something.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

41 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Why are we pre-ordering CPU's without knowing how they perform? Is EA in charge of AMD now?

Assuming the bits worked around in GN's memory scaling video are taken at face value, a decent uptick in performance on the chips albeit nothing earth shattering, but memory compatibility in terms of performance between different sticks is still an issue, although clocking the memory higher no longer is.

1 hour ago, RyzenDoctor said:

Preordered a 2600x for my brother's new computer =) His current machine is sporting an Fx8150 8 core Zambezi processor in a Gigabyte 990fxa ud7 motherboard, and a GTX 780. God bless him, he is worried that the Ryzen 2600x may not be much of an upgrade xD and was content with a GTX 1060

LOL. He is in for a pleasant surprise...

On the GPU front the gtx 1060 actually shouldn't be that much faster than a gtx 780 but the driver support is much better.

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

Why are we pre-ordering CPU's without knowing how they perform? Is EA in charge of AMD now?

Given that people pre-ordered Ryzen 1000 series, with very few clues of where it could land (I mean, people pre-ordered, and continued to order at launch, the 1800X at its $500 price... speaking of "hype tax"). In comparison, it makes all the sense to pre-order the 2000 series, where the only uncertainty is whether it is a a tiny bit better or a little bit better than the 1000 series. The worst that can happen is that you get a slightly OC'ed 1000 series at MSRP (instead the price the 1000s are going for today).

Still, personally, I don't pre-order, I don't pre-release, I don't early access, I don't alpha/beta/gamma/omicron. First you launch. Then time passes. Then I care :P 

4 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

For the retail 2700X, I imagine 4.2 Ghz will be the standard All-Core. The dies will hit 4.35 Ghz on XFR, so they're rated for that, but that's the limits on the node. (1800X does 4.1 on Turbo but 4.0 is almost always the All-Core max.) We're going to see 4.4 & 4.5 chips though, while the best binned will end up in the Threadripper 2 SKUs. Some of those will hit 4.6-4.7. 

Though I'm pretty sure that 4.3 is pushing close to the limits for what Ryzen allows for in current games. There's an extremely small uplift for going from 4.5 to 5.0 Ghz on Intel for gaming right now. Even if you put Ryzen under phase-change to get it stable around 4.8-5.0 Ghz, I expect you'd see very, very small uplift in gaming performance. Most of the issues have been about game engines operating on symmetric core-to-core latency, plus thrashing system memory quite a lot. It's not an accident that Tomb Raider saw upwards of 20% uplift from tweaks to the scheduling (which also helped with the Intel HEDT parts as well). 

As for Icelake, the 8 core part is, by rumor, supposed to be in 2nd half of 2018. Floating around name is Coffee Lake-R. Icelake, which is 2019, we don't know yet. Given the nature of the Core Architecture, I still don't think an 8 core part makes sense on the Mainstream platform, unless AMD really is bringing a 12c or 16c SKU to the mainstream. (Intel would know this.) Then there's the issue that, even with the way things are going in gaming, 8c/16t is going to be overkill. It's going to be a long time (or Ubisoft codes like crap) before more than 12 threads is really that valuable, especially as you'll normally need to give up clocks for it.

It felt like most chips that were destined for Threadripper literally got binned out of the Ryzen line up, as we saw Threadrippers getting far more consistent 4.1 gh overclocks for instance, and nearly no Ryzen's were capable of that with 24/7 stability.

And I don't know how true that is, I maxed my voltage on my 1800x and still peaked at 4.275, I would literally need to start pushing like 1.6v or something to see higher then that

15 minutes ago, Neokolzia said:

It felt like most chips that were destined for Threadripper literally got binned out of the Ryzen line up, as we saw Threadrippers getting far more consistent 4.1 gh overclocks for instance, and nearly no Ryzen's were capable of that with 24/7 stability.

And I don't know how true that is, I maxed my voltage on my 1800x and still peaked at 4.275, I would literally need to start pushing like 1.6v or something to see higher then that

Some of that high frequency stability could also be due to the socket and more pins used for power delivery and grounding, same reason Intel had to introduce Z370. Stable voltage is very important, that's why pushing higher doesn't always get you the result you'd expect, sometimes you have to very slightly lower it and adjust other things.

2 hours ago, RyzenDoctor said:

I mean the 8150 gets about 800cb OC'd on cinebench whereas in my experience with a 1600 at 4ghz i got 1300 so unless upgrading to a ryzen 7 I don't think it would be worth it. Also, I love the way the 990fx Gigabyte boards look. Used to have a UD5 with a FX 6300 at 4.8ghz.

Rig Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 3.9ghz @1.33125v Cinebench Scores Best:1750cb Average: 1735cb

Asrock X370 SLI/AC  SOLD

Evga GTX 560 Ti 1gb    Just got a EVGA GTX 780 HydroCopper

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 2400mhz oc’d to 2666mhz (bought when ram was still cheap :()  

Corsair RM850

Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Changing to a Inwin 301 soon

Custom CPU Loop (watercooling is boring to me right now so I want to go back to air cooling and do like one more WC Loop in a Inwin 301)

Intel 256gb SSD

Kingston 240gb SSD

HyperX 90gb SSD

Not So Shitbox v3 Specs:

I7 2600k oc'd to 4.7 @ 1.4ish (will do more when I get a better cooler) 

MSI P67-GD55  Sold to fund my gpu

Gigabyte Windforce HD 6950

Team Elite Plus 8gb DDR3 (1 stick) @ 1600mhz

Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt

Cooler Master T4

Enthoo Luxe 

Kingston 120gb SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

Laptop:

Asus GL552VW-DH71

i7 6700HQ

2x8gb DDR4 

1tb hard drive

GTX 960m

15in IPS 1080p display

5 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

before more than 12 threads is really that valuable, especially as you'll normally need to give up clocks for it.

Give up clocks? During haswell the 5820k's and 4770/90k's were getting about the same clocks.

Rig Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 3.9ghz @1.33125v Cinebench Scores Best:1750cb Average: 1735cb

Asrock X370 SLI/AC  SOLD

Evga GTX 560 Ti 1gb    Just got a EVGA GTX 780 HydroCopper

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 2400mhz oc’d to 2666mhz (bought when ram was still cheap :()  

Corsair RM850

Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Changing to a Inwin 301 soon

Custom CPU Loop (watercooling is boring to me right now so I want to go back to air cooling and do like one more WC Loop in a Inwin 301)

Intel 256gb SSD

Kingston 240gb SSD

HyperX 90gb SSD

Not So Shitbox v3 Specs:

I7 2600k oc'd to 4.7 @ 1.4ish (will do more when I get a better cooler) 

MSI P67-GD55  Sold to fund my gpu

Gigabyte Windforce HD 6950

Team Elite Plus 8gb DDR3 (1 stick) @ 1600mhz

Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt

Cooler Master T4

Enthoo Luxe 

Kingston 120gb SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

Laptop:

Asus GL552VW-DH71

i7 6700HQ

2x8gb DDR4 

1tb hard drive

GTX 960m

15in IPS 1080p display

I’m going to wait for sales and for motherboards to support the new CPU without needing a BIOS flash. They look nice though.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

3 minutes ago, This kid builds pc said:

Give up clocks? During haswell the 5820k's and 4770/90k's were getting about the same clocks.

Except Ryzen clocks worse than Broadwell. Leaks peg Ryzen 2K procs at overclocking very similarly to Broadwell. You're giving up clock speed to an extent.

Oh, and the 5820K overclocks similarly to the 4770K. 4.5GHz or so.

The 5930K and 4790K both clock closer to 4.8GHz.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

I’m going to wait for sales and for motherboards to support the new CPU without needing a BIOS flash. They look nice though.

The X470s are coming out the day before the processors drop. Course the cheapest board is going for $140. Does anyone know if they're doing a B450 chipset at all? I could only find some stuff from January that doesn't' look to have been confirmed at all beyond that.

On 4/13/2018 at 12:05 PM, xriqn said:

Well, the news is out my friends. Ryzen 2 is on, and it's now available for pre order, how exciting!!! According to The Verge

I'm glad that they're not announcing all the details just yet, I always love a surprise on release and I'm sure all those of you reading do too. Now obviously, there's going to be four second generation chips, those will be as follows (taken from The Verge):

Great to see that the coolers are on AMD this year across ALL AMD Ryzen CPU's, I'm sure it was a bugger for those of you out there who didn't want to buy a new cooler just for socket AM4 unless you bought one of their higher end solutions. You'll also be unsurprised to know that 

Now the new X470 chipset, that is VERY interesting to me. Could that be a new enthusiast chipset to overthrow the current enthusiast chipset, X370? I daresay it is and I do think that it would pair beautifully with AMD's new StoreMI feature as now, hybrids are no more when you buy AMD systems. You can have your speed and capacity together, have all that cake at once, your boot drive is now one with your storage once more! Now what do you all think to this exciting information and are you hyped for Ryzen 2? Let me know down in the comments below!

Oh right, yeah, the source is here: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/4/13/17233630/amds-second-generation-ryzen-processors-available-preorder

Good stuff, cant wait to see the benchmarks and prices compared to older gen stuff in Ryzen family. I will have to keep up to date on that stuff, building pc's and all for 5 years now. Its a side business, cash only!

On 13/4/2018 at 5:48 PM, xriqn said:

This is the minor upgrade, it's going to be like Nehlahem to Sandy Bridge when Zen2 comes out.

Nehalem to Sandy Bridge was a huge pgrade, you mean something like Haswell to Broadwell, or Piledriver/Steamroller to Excavator

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

No they weren't Vishera was shit too. It was just minor refinements to Bulldozer. Like polishing a turd. Intel still had something absurd like a 40% IPC lead even with Vishera.

Vishera isnt the name of the Architecture. Vishera is the name of the product family. The microarchitecture is Steamroller/Piledriver if I remember correctly. Later they would be polished and made into Excavator and then Excavator v2 iin a 28nm Processs instead of 32nm

1 hour ago, ravenshrike said:

The X470s are coming out the day before the processors drop. Course the cheapest board is going for $140. Does anyone know if they're doing a B450 chipset at all? I could only find some stuff from January that doesn't' look to have been confirmed at all beyond that.

B450s are supposedly coming, but not on launch day. It may be a few weeks before theyre released. X470s should be available launch day, albeit the cheapest is $140

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

1 hour ago, DanielMDA said:

Nehalem to Sandy Bridge was a huge pgrade, you mean something like Haswell to Broadwell, or Piledriver/Steamroller to Excavator

This is Zen+. He's talking about the stuff coming out early(hopefully) next year. Architecturally the shift between Zen and Zen 2 should be similar to that between Nehalem and Sandy Bridge as SB was a refined execution of the Nehalem concept. Whether it will see the same amount of upswing remains to be seen of course. A 12% IPC gain over Zen would outside of AVX workloads actually put AMD back on top clock for clock.

3 hours ago, Neokolzia said:

AMD's guy that manages their binning procedures said they took the top 2% of dies for use in Threadripper. That's why there are 8c/16t hitting 4.3 Ghz around.

2 hours ago, This kid builds pc said:

For the TDP & motherboards of Mainstream designs, you would expect to give up some Clocks when on the same Node for an 8 core Coffee Lake part. There's not going to be any efficiency gained, so it's a Clock for Clock 33% more power & heat going from 6c to 8c. That's why a new chipset would be needed for the design specs to be met. 

2 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

I've heard Q3 for the B-series boards, but no confirmation.

50 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

For the TDP & motherboards of Mainstream designs, you would expect to give up some Clocks when on the same Node for an 8 core Coffee Lake part. There's not going to be any efficiency gained, so it's a Clock for Clock 33% more power & heat going from 6c to 8c. That's why a new chipset would be needed for the design specs to be met. 

It was already a thing for 7700k vs 8700k, lower base clock (4.2 vs 3.7) and slightly higher TDP (91 vs 95). Going from 6 to 8 will be the same thing, sacrifices will have to be made or a steep increase in TDP.

Even a node shrink won't cancel it out, TDP went up from 22nm to 14nm not down. If you push for performance gains in power efficiency are just used to increase performance.

So what youre telling me is that AMD StoreMI is just RAID that can fuse different sizes of Hard drives or is it a normal raid?

14 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It was already a thing for 7700k vs 8700k, lower base clock (4.2 vs 3.7) and slightly higher TDP (91 vs 95). Going from 6 to 8 will be the same thing, sacrifices will have to be made or a steep increase in TDP.

Even a node shrink won't cancel it out, TDP went up from 22nm to 14nm not down. If you push for performance gains in power efficiency are just used to increase performance.

Yup, it's also why a few games that pin 2-4 cores can actually end up running faster on the 7700k over the 8700k as the 8700k is clocking down from having to use all of the cores. (This is also why the 2700X coming with an expect 4.1 Ghz all-core boost actually is a pretty decent clock bump over 1st Gen Ryzen.) 

I also think people forget how, relatively, energy efficient the Zen cores are compared to the Skylake cores. The reason AMD can put 8c compared to 6c within roughly the same Thermal margins, at stock, shouldn't be lost on everyone. Skylake cores get especially thirsty when you start running AVX loads, as well. (Things are slightly different at high OCs, but that has little to do the design and far more to do with the nodes both processes are on.)

Icelake should bring a pretty big efficiency bump to the Skylake Cores, but we'll see about clocks. Icelake will be a big boost in the Laptop space, though we've seen a lot of that boost already with Coffee Lake. (We don't comment enough how much of an improvement Intel found in the 14nm node for efficiency in the lower frequency range.) However, there doesn't appear to be enough IPC increase on tap to make up for Icelake if it clocks slower than Coffee Lake. Which is probably why 8c parts are coming. They'd then move some Hyperthreading down to the i5 SKUs. I guess I'm expecting 4c/8t i3s starting next year.

4 hours ago, This kid builds pc said:

I mean the 8150 gets about 800cb OC'd on cinebench whereas in my experience with a 1600 at 4ghz i got 1300 so unless upgrading to a ryzen 7 I don't think it would be worth it. 

According to your numbers, that's a 62.5% improvement. If that's not worth it...

On 4/14/2018 at 7:16 AM, MyName13 said:

Dude what?i5 8400 is cheaper and performs better (or at least the same).You don't even need to overclock it.

You can’t even overclock that piece of shit anyway 

48 minutes ago, TechGod said:

You can’t even overclock that piece of shit anyway 

So?If it's better than r5 1600 (or at least as good) without overclocking (and can be used with cheaper boards) then there's no purpose of OCing.

2 hours ago, SharinganSensei said:

So what youre telling me is that AMD StoreMI is just RAID that can fuse different sizes of Hard drives or is it a normal raid?

its more like a caching technology than anything else

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

According to your numbers, that's a 62.5% improvement. If that's not worth it...

I was waiting for someone to do the maths. The JegaHertz are not everything. IPC and architecture matter. Going from an FX Zambezi architecture to Zen+ will be a huge boost for him. 

StoreMI and FuzeDrive appear to merge an SSD with a HDD like the apple fusion drives. Commonly used things get cached on the SSD, and rarely opened files end up on the HDD. The end result is one larger virtual drive.  

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...