Is it bad to run a monitor at higher than native resolution.

I have 2 monitors:

Acer 1080p 144hz

Acer 1440p 165hz G-sync

I just tested what resolution both monitors could accept using HDMI and my 1080p monitor could do 1800p at 60hz and the 1440p could do 2160p at 60hz. I didn't try any higher than 2160p and 60hz as this was my goal. I did this testing to see if I could use a playstation 4 pro and play games at 2160p on my 1440p monitor instead of supersampled 1080p on my 1080p monitor.

So my questions are:

- Can I damage my monitors by playing at the resolutions?

- Has anyone done this before with a ps4 pro or xbox one x and knows more about this?

- 2160p on my 1440p monitor looked a bit strange, Like there was some blurry anti aa. Will this be the same with a ps4 pro?

If you want it for games, I would stick to native res, it will perform and look far better. If you want more workspace, I would recommend changing your scaling settings.

8 minutes ago, LeTard said:

It is not bad. SSAA (super sample anti aliasing) is an effective, but costly method to smooth out edges in images/games. 

If you want to do this (and have the GPU power to back it up), your GPU settings should let you set it on there, and that software can choose a resolution that downsamples well to your resolution (e.g. before i got a 1440p monitor i used to run warframe at 21xx resolution downsampled on my 1080p, and I let GeForce experience set that)

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

You won't damage it, but you'll suffer from a performance deficit from rendering at a higher resolution 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

There's only two ways to do this - either you use VSR/DSR to render at a high res and scale it down, in which case you're still only feeding your monitor a native res signal since it's scaled in your GPU, or you just dump the higher res signal directly to the monitor, in which case it probably will just not work, but it won't hurt anything.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

There's only two ways to do this - either you use VSR/DSR to render at a high res and scale it down, in which case you're still only feeding your monitor a native res signal since it's scaled in your GPU, or you just dump the higher res signal directly to the monitor, in which case it probably will just not work, but it won't hurt anything.

this is basicly the same as supersampling,  the output will be a native resolution but the gpu renders a higher resolution thus beeing supersampling

31 minutes ago, LeTard said:

I have 2 monitors:

Acer 1080p 144hz

Acer 1440p 165hz G-sync

I just tested what resolution both monitors could accept using HDMI and my 1080p monitor could do 1800p at 60hz and the 1440p could do 2160p at 60hz. I didn't try any higher than 2160p and 60hz as this was my goal. I did this testing to see if I could use a playstation 4 pro and play games at 2160p on my 1440p monitor instead of supersampled 1080p on my 1080p monitor.

So my questions are:

- Can I damage my monitors by playing at the resolutions?

- Has anyone done this before with a ps4 pro or xbox one x and knows more about this?

- 2160p on my 1440p monitor looked a bit strange, Like there was some blurry anti aa. Will this be the same with a ps4 pro?

running a higher res onto a monitor of a lowerres as u mention, is exactly the same as supersampling 1080p

(◑‿◐)

The best resolution to send to monitor is its native panel resolution.

If you mean you want to send 4k to monitor and have monitor downscale to native resolution, then image quality will suffer and text may be blurrier. But most monitors don't allow that. The scalers ("resizers") inside monitors aren't great.

You can use Super Resolution , virtual scaling or whatever to configure a game to render and do everything at higher res. but at the last moment when image is sent to monitor the card reduces down to monitor resolution... this can give higher quality in games.

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The best resolution to send to monitor is its native panel resolution.

If you mean you want to send 4k to monitor and have monitor downscale to native resolution, then image quality will suffer and text may be blurrier. But most monitors don't allow that. The scalers ("resizers") inside monitors aren't great.

You can use Super Resolution , virtual scaling or whatever to configure a game to render and do everything at higher res. but at the last moment when image is sent to monitor the card reduces down to monitor resolution... this can give higher quality in games.

Because it really is at the last moment, you can also use this to get a feel for what it would be like to have a higher resolution display for normal desktop use.  Screenshots and all that work at the res your set, rather than the one you're outputting.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Won't hurt anything, but I don't like DSR for anything but testing a resolution you don't own for benchmarking. I don't think it really looks any better than native and you take a big performance hit.