Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deadpoolio

Laptop needed for Computer Science Engineering student

Posted · Original PosterOP

Which specs should my laptop have that can fulfill my requirements? I am about to start Computer Science Engineering with specialization in cybersecurity. I need the laptop for college purposes as well as for external courses and internships. Also, it should be able to work for like 3-4 years without any problem after so much usage. Any suggestions for which laptop I should use are welcome.

First, what's your budget and where are you from?

Feel free to ask for recommendations if you're looking for a new lappy!

My daily driver: Lenovo Legion Y530 [REVIEW]

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-8300H Nvidia GTX1050TI 2GB LP156WFG-SPB2 144Hz IPS 16GB 2666MHZ DDR4 RAM (2x8GB) PM981 256GB+ST1000LM035 1TB

Laptop reviews: Check them out here

Who is Clevo, Tongfang, Quanta?

My Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (Snapdragon 625, 3GB RAM, 32GB ROM)

2 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

First, what's your budget and where are you from?

I am from India and my budget is approx $1500 or ₹ 1,00,000

Hey there, I'm a computer science engineering student

I do recommend the i7-8550U/i7-8650U, a powerful CPU with low power consumption, it ensures you a longer battery life and is powerful enough for any Computer Science Engineering task

8GB of RAM is enough, but it should be upgradable if you wanna study cybersecurity so you can run a few VM on it

Choose any SSD with high w/r speeds, 256GB minimum

The screen is up to you, any ips, tn... but it should be bright enough for you to visualize the content outdoors (glassy screens with low bright is just a no-go)

I use a Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro, i7-8550U, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD and a 60Wh battery, battery life is pretty good, the screen... sigh, not the best, I can't play because of the tearing, and the keyboard isn't for gaming exactly (ghosting), the speakers are downside and it sounds a bit low because of that, but is powerful enough for VM, programming, play some light stuff and the SSD is really fast for the price, its metal body makes it durable and is thin but not that light (near 2kg), I'm happy with it, it was 1000 euros from gearbest i think

But I tell you now, it's not the machine but the programmer, take the laptop you feel more comfortable, if you like one more than any other *better* laptop, pick the one you love because of the screen , the keyboard, the design... I loved MSI GS63 but battery life was crappy, awesome screen, built quality, thin, light...

Choose the one you love, having in mind all those components I told you, and don't mind too much GPU if you don't plan to play videogames on it so you don't discard ultrabooks, my laptop got the MX 150 and is enough for light sh*t!

3 minutes ago, dieegoperi said:

i7-8550U/i7-8650U

Nope, performance not much better than 8250U/8350U due to cooling and TDP limitations.

3 minutes ago, dieegoperi said:

the screen... sigh, not the best, I can't play because of the tearing, and the keyboard isn't for gaming exactly (ghosting),

You're complaining a non gaming laptop with no gaming features like 120Hz 5ms panel and anti ghosting keyboard?

4 minutes ago, dieegoperi said:

pick the one you love because of the screen , the keyboard, the design.

Always look for reviews first. Design means nothing to me.

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-8300H Nvidia GTX1050TI 2GB LP156WFG-SPB2 144Hz IPS 16GB 2666MHZ DDR4 RAM (2x8GB) PM981 256GB+ST1000LM035 1TB

27 minutes ago, deadpoolio said:

I am from India and my budget is approx $1500 or ₹ 1,00,000

Budget is a bit tight. Mind providing some links of online stores in your country?

Spoiler

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

Nope, performance not much better than 8250U/8350U due to cooling and TDP limitations.

You're complaining a non gaming laptop with no gaming features like 120Hz 5ms panel and anti ghosting keyboard?

Always look for reviews first. Design means nothing to me.

I complain about the tearing and ghosting, but I don't just say my 144hz monitor is way better or my mech keyboard is way better too, I mean that the tearing is too high for a screen, I've tried many non-gaming laptops and the tearing was just minimal, and the ghosting is: press 2 keys, almost no problem, press the third and whops, it doesn't recognize it, so for gaming is almost a no-go, I've never said that 3000hz 0.0001ms panel and anti ghosting keyboard is the one to go forwards

The thing is I dont know what stuff i would be dealing with in 3-4 years and I think i might need better specs than what are required now, so that the laptop could be a long-term investment. What are your thoughts? And some people say that GPU should be good too. 

3 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Budget is a bit tight. Mind providing some links of online stores in your country?

Most of the electronic devices in my country are overpriced. So, I would be buying my stuff from some other country like USA, Canada or maybe from Dubai. I just need to know the laptop I require. 

I am a computer science engineer and I never had any problems with my refurbished thinkpad x220 during my courses. You can find them for 200 bucks on ebay. I recommend the ips version if you can find it and to add an ssd (it's extremely easy to swap it in).

5 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Budget is a bit tight.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

How much does size matter for you, e.g. less than 13" or bigger than 15"?

I highly recommend getting one with i7 and 16 GB of RAM, you will likely be multitasking quite a lot and these will help you.

Integrated GPUs are fine for most of the tasks.

Also, what is your view on Macbook Pros? They are expensive, however as someone who switched from Windows to macOS, I have to say that working on macOS is much better. I simply got tired of Windows' retarded forced updates and shit breaking constantly (have team members using Windows for coding, it's still an issue), whereas macOS can run for 38 days (personal score) with no reboot required. Macbooks last very long as well.

Skynet: MacBook Pro Late 2016 Space Gray | i7-6820HQ 2.7 GHz | 16 GB LPDDR3 | Radeon Pro 455 2048 MB | 512 GB NVMe SSD | 15" 2880x1800

HAL9000: Intel i5-9600k | Cryorig M9 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Gigabyte Z390I AORUS PRO WIFI | Zotac GTX 1080Ti Mini | 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro + 1 TB Crucial MX500 | Corsair TX650M | Cougar QBX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Xeon E5-2675 v3 | Cooler Master Hyper 212X | 64 GB Kingston/Samsung DDR4 ECC | Asus Z10PA-D8 | Corsair HX1000 | 256 GB Samsung 850 Evo + 3x 3 TB WD Red + 2 TB Seagate | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.7.0

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

4 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

How much does size matter for you, e.g. less than 13" or bigger than 15"?

I highly recommend getting one with i7 and 16 GB of RAM, you will likely be multitasking quite a lot and these will help you.

Integrated GPUs are fine for most of the tasks.

Also, what is your view on Macbook Pros? They are expensive, however as someone who switched from Windows to macOS, I have to say that working on macOS is much better. I simply got tired of Windows' retarded forced updates and shit breaking constantly (have team members using Windows for coding, it's still an issue), whereas macOS can run for 38 days with no reboot required. Macbooks last very long as well.

Size does matter because of my time with the laptop and I dont want to strain my eyes much. 

I would be using Linux most of the time. I was not comfortable with MacOS and wasnt getting used to it. I like Windows more than MacOS. Maybe bcoz I have been using it my entire life. 

45 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

i7

Which i7? For ULVs:

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

performance not much better than 8250U/8350U due to cooling and TDP limitations.

56 minutes ago, dieegoperi said:

snip

That's what you would expect in most laptops.

I would suggest a Thinkpad P, however they are probably out of your budget if you buy them in India. If you're going to buy in US then get P51/P50 or even P71/P70. Nevertheless you might want to wait for refresh: P52 and P72 are coming.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, deadpoolio said:

Size does matter because of my time with the laptop and I dont want to strain my eyes much. 

I would be using Linux most of the time. I was not comfortable with MacOS and wasnt getting used to it. I like Windows more than MacOS. Maybe bcoz I have been using it my entire life. 

Understandable. Linux is also a great option, tho then I suggest finding model that has the most compatible drivers. You might struggle with some really basic things sometimes, such as wireless driver dying, graphics driver crashing, keyboard hotkeys not working. I have/had HP EliteBook 840 G2 and it's network died about once every 2-3 days.

Dell XPS 15 and Lenovo Thinkpads are widely recommended models in general, however I am unsure about the pricing and Linux driver support. Look around Linux forums/subreddits, people can guide you.

2 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Which i7? For ULVs:

Any one from recent generations (6th to 8th) with at least 4 cores.

Skynet: MacBook Pro Late 2016 Space Gray | i7-6820HQ 2.7 GHz | 16 GB LPDDR3 | Radeon Pro 455 2048 MB | 512 GB NVMe SSD | 15" 2880x1800

HAL9000: Intel i5-9600k | Cryorig M9 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Gigabyte Z390I AORUS PRO WIFI | Zotac GTX 1080Ti Mini | 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro + 1 TB Crucial MX500 | Corsair TX650M | Cougar QBX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Xeon E5-2675 v3 | Cooler Master Hyper 212X | 64 GB Kingston/Samsung DDR4 ECC | Asus Z10PA-D8 | Corsair HX1000 | 256 GB Samsung 850 Evo + 3x 3 TB WD Red + 2 TB Seagate | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.7.0

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

How is dell inspiron 15 i7-7700hq 16gb ram with 4gb gtx 1050ti?

I have heard it has great battery life and is a considerable option. I found it in my budget but I need second opinions. 

If you're gonna be doing cybersecurity I'd make sure whatever device you go with that it plays nice with Linux. I know the XPS series of laptops are some favorites among security experts, so maybe check out an XPS 13 or something.

Desktop: i7 7700K @ 4.7Ghz, 16GB DDR4, Cooler Master H80i v2, 500GB M.2 SSD, Cooler Master Q500L case, Sapphire RX 590 8GB

Laptop: Eluktronics Mech 15 G2, i7 8750H, 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 480GB Nvme SSD, 144hz panel  

Laptop: Eluktronics W650kk1, i5-7400, 8GB DDR4, GTX 1050Ti, 250GB WD SSD, 120Hz Asus Display  

Laptop: Alienware 18 (2014). I7 4930MX @ 4.1GHz, 16GB RAM, 500GB 840Evo, 1TB HDD, GTX 980m 8GB  **Broken**

Laptop: Razer Blade Stealth 2017, i7 7500u, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

Laptop: Razer Blade 14 mid 2016. I7 6700hq, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 970m 6GB.

Laptop: Origin Eon11s. i7 3820QM, GT 650M 2GB, 120GB SSD, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 11.6in 768p display  **Dismantled**