Apple Homepod not living up to Apple's Expectation? New smaller one to possible come...

It would appear that Apple's Homepod may not be living up to the sale numbers that Apple is hoping for as they are slashing orders of monthly devices by 60% from 500k units to 200k.  At the same time, they are also looking into making a second, smaller, cheaper smart speaker...  

https://gizmodo.com/looks-like-nobody-wants-to-buy-apple-s-homepod-1825207301

... According to a Bloomberg report, the company has lowered the number of Homepods being manufactured by one of its partners, Inventec Corporation, and is reportedly looking to make a second smart speaker, one a bit less expensive than its current $350 offering.

Meanwhile, according to a report from The China Times, Apple is slashing the number of monthly HomePod orders from 500,000 to 200,00 due to some disappointing sales. Apple retail store workers cited in the Bloomberg story claim to be selling “fewer than 10 HomePods a day.” Apple’s no stranger to lackluster sales when it comes to new products, but the HomePod seems to be fighting a war on multiple fronts, and doing poorly in each one. We’ve reached out to Apple for comment on the HomePod situation.

t’s not like they’re just collecting dust, though. Loup Ventures co-founder Gene Munster expects Apple will sell around 7 million HomePods this year, and 11 million in 2019. 11 million is a lot, but is pretty small compared to the 39 million Echo devices he expects Amazon to sell in the same timeframe, or the 32 million Google Home devices also expected to end up in homes.

While I have no interest in the Homepod myself as I have no want to go back into Apple's ecosystem in general, it would seem that the biggest limiting factor on the Homepod is more related to limited software features with a high price compared to what others may be looking for in a smart speaker. Should be interesting to see if they do actually produce something like an Apple Homepod Dot or whatever they want to call it (Homedot?), especially if they focus on sound quality...  

maybe they can make it a speaker that isn't locked down to apple music and apple device audio. 

Currently, I can get a good speaker that plays whatever I want from a guy on craigslist for 20$ and a pack of smokes. 

Add BT/3.5mm jack, then itll be a speaker. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I mean its a smart speaker than only works with Apple Music and Airplay audio at this point. 

Sales were never going to be great. 

If apple opened up the bluetooth protocol for any device to pair and pushed out AirPlay 2 finally then they would have a decent product. 

I don't think it needs a 3.5mm jack though. That is just not necessary. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

3.5mm jack

Hahahaha this is an apple product, none of that technology here 

HomePod failed because it dominated in the music space, not the smart speaker space. With something like Sonos One, I can play music from Spotify or GPM or YouTube, whereas with a HomePod I'm locked squarely into the Apple Music ecosystem.. unless I want to AirPlay and give up my voice controls. 

Siri doesn't do a lot of what people want, and lacks a lot of functionality that has been added to Assistant and Alexa. 

Not to mention since Echo and Home devices have a low low price they end up in the homes of more and more users. 

idk

Couple of points to note: 

1) Gurman’s track record with Apple has been quite poor ever since he joined Bloomberg. 

2) Slice analytics relies on scanning receipts voluntarily submitted by users who opt into their service. This doesn’t sound very accurate to begin with. 

3) Reducing orders from one company could correspond with an increase in orders at another company. Someone who isn’t seeing the full picture might think that Apple is reducing orders, when in reality, they are simply changing suppliers. 

In short, I would treat this report with a healthy dose of skepticism. 

47 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

It would appear that Apple's Homepod may not be living up to the sale numbers that Apple is hoping for as they are slashing orders of monthly devices by 60% from 500k units to 200k.  At the same time, they are also looking into making a second, smaller, cheaper smart speaker...  

https://gizmodo.com/looks-like-nobody-wants-to-buy-apple-s-homepod-1825207301

While I have no interest in the Homepod myself as I have no want to go back into Apple's ecosystem in general, it would seem that the biggest limiting factor on the Homepod is more related to limited software features with a high price compared to what others may be looking for in a smart speaker. Should be interesting to see if they do actually produce something like an Apple Homepod Dot or whatever they want to call it (Homedot?), especially if they focus on sound quality...  

I'm not surprised... the uses of it are very limited and Siri really needs some work. That being said. I don't expect this product category to ever take off. I would much rather have this technology incorporated in an actual Hi-Fi if you are really after sound quality. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

35 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Hahahaha this is an apple product, none of that technology here 

It's not even like it's very good. Google for example has a jack on the HomeMax which is essentially useless because its so crab to use. 

Sure that is a product specific thing but it actually makes the experience worse in that case. Not saying that limiting HomePod to AirPlay does not make the experience worse, just that adding a headphone jack does not necessarily make the device better. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Until Apple understands how to play nice with other phones, I think the Google Home is better by miles. I mean at this moment Siri is still a dumbass compared to the Google Assistant. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

It's not even like it's very good. Google for example has a jack on the HomeMax which is essentially useless because its so crab to use. 

Sure that is a product specific thing but it actually makes the experience worse in that case. Not saying that limiting HomePod to AirPlay does not make the experience worse, just that adding a headphone jack does not necessarily make the device better. 

Agreed, actually. It's a smart speaker, and the only time I can see the 3.5mm being useful is when you're adding a device - ie BT>3.5mm or Chromecast Audio (of which I have two mounted to Geneva Model S/L around the house, rip 30pin)

idk

1 hour ago, abazigal said:

Couple of points to note: 

1) Gurman’s track record with Apple has been quite poor ever since he joined Bloomberg. 

Really?  He's been largely spot-on in my experience. Some of it is data that's hard to verify or won't pan out for months, but I don't think I've seen him actually whiff it.

I'm not really surprised. 

It's just really, REALLY limited in what it can do and what it plays nice with. 

Tbh, I probably want an aux input because why not, but regular streaming over BT or local WiFi works too

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Given the only comment on the HomePod I have heard said it looked like a fancy fabric lined trash can, I am not surprised.

On 4/13/2018 at 3:53 AM, DrMacintosh said:

This is very true. Not only would you need a very long cable to connect to the device if you were to use headphones, you would also risk jerking the device off a table if you ventured to far away. Those who use external speakers probably already have a Bluetooth compatible docking station and would not need the 3.5mm jack.