Intel Teases Discrete GPU - "Arctic Sound"

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/117017-intel-working-arctic-sound-discrete-gpu-gamers/

I'm honestly hoping Intel pulls through with this. The last time they tried was in the 90s and never released it.

This will create an exceptional market, especially since miners have destroyed the current one.

And, if Intel keeps naming the GPUs after they name CPUs after locations, nVidia names theirs after scientists, and AMD names them whatever the fuck they want, we'll end up with some pretty unique rigs.

My personal estimate is 2 years before an actual consumer GPU is released though.

And apologies if this was already posted, went through the first 5 pages of News and didn't see anything about it.

Excerpt from the article:

Earlier information regarding Intel's Arctic Sound GPU indicated that it was tailored for applications such as video streaming and data centre processing. However the analyst Tweet indicated that Intel has forked the project so there will be an Arctic Sound variant for PC gaming. Such a move could be a canny strategy for Intel as PC GPUs are in short supply, unavailable at anywhere near original RRPs, due to the cryptocurrency mining trend.

Intel will "enter the market with a bang"

The last time Intel dipped its toe in the discrete GPU market was back in 1998 with the 350nm i740 using the AGP graphics interface. Koduri is said to want to "enter the market with a bang," with the Arctic Sound dGPU. However, according to the source we will have to wait for quite a number of months before Arctic Sound hits prime-time. A 2020 launch is on the cards for what will be Intel's 12th gen graphics architecture.

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.8GHz | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | 32GB 2133MHz CL7 DDR3 | nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 with Custom BIOS | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | 3TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | Corsair CX750M  | Custom 240mm all-in-one liquid cooler | Broadcom NetXTREME 5709c Dual Gigabit NIC | Cougar MX330 mid-tower chassis | Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter

People rip on Intel for creating sub-par IGPs, but they definitely have the ability to create something potent. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I'm kinda hoping this makes it onto wan show just so we get to hear "Intel Teases Discrete GPU, and this was posted by I got laid by a dragoness on the forum"

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

It'd be fun see nVidia and Intel compete for who has the most expensive mainstream "extreme" GPU xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, i_got_laid_by_a_dragoness said:

The last time they tried was in the 90s and never released it

That's outright wrong. Larrabee, the foundation for Xeon Phi, was unveiled August 2008.

Intel's i740 was a consumer product in '98

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

they definitely have the ability to create something potent

Only if they either license AMD's IP or infringe patent law. Otherwise, it's Larrabee and i740 all over again.

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

It'd be fun see nVidia and Intel compete for who has the most expensive mainstream "extreme" GPU xD

Assuming Intel doesn't flunk out.

Again.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Only if they either license AMD's IP or infringe patent law.

No? How did nVidia create cards without either of those? How come Intel can make x64 CPUs when AMD did it first? That's just dumb

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.8GHz | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | 32GB 2133MHz CL7 DDR3 | nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 with Custom BIOS | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | 3TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | Corsair CX750M  | Custom 240mm all-in-one liquid cooler | Broadcom NetXTREME 5709c Dual Gigabit NIC | Cougar MX330 mid-tower chassis | Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter

Just now, i_got_laid_by_a_dragoness said:

No? How did nVidia create cards without either of those? How come Intel can make x64 CPUs when AMD did it first? That's just dumb

Intel is licensing x86-64 from AMD I thought.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Again.

They have the required people this time at least and seem to be putting enough cash behind it it really will come down to patent avoidance and timing whether it will go anywhere.

Just now, i_got_laid_by_a_dragoness said:

How come Intel can make x64 CPUs when AMD did it first?

They bartered x86 to amd in exchange for x64, so they paid for licencing

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

sub-par IGPs

Their latest and greatest can run most 2011-2012 games at acceptable quality/framerates.

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

licensing x86-64

AMD developed it, then licensed it to Intel. AMD is licensing x86 from Intel, and Intel is licensing x64 from AMD. This ensures that neither can sue the other without losing the rights to sell their entire CPU lineup, as they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

11 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

People rip on Intel for creating sub-par IGPs, but they definitely have the ability to create something potent. 

intel HD 630 can run GTA 5 better than the Xbox 360....

Best of myself(1000th post)

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Cooler Master masterbox lite 3.1

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Dell precision t3400 motherboard

How did nVidia create cards without either of those?

Nvidia and AMD have cross patent licensing on certain aspects of modern GPU architecture.

How come Intel can make x64 CPUs when AMD did it first?

Intel and AMD have cross patent agreements on all CPU related patents.

That doesn't apply to the ATI patents that AMD took over with their acquisition, nor any new Graphics Processing related patents. Only x86 and x64.

Just now, AresKrieger said:

They have the required people this time at least and seem to be putting enough cash behind it it really will come down to patent avoidance and timing whether it will go anywhere.

They have Raja, but that doesn't mean much if what Raja does well is owned by AMD and Intel doesn't want to license it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

27 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

That's outright wrong. Larrabee, the foundation for Xeon Phi, was unveiled August 2008.

Intel's i740 was a consumer product in '98

Only if they either license AMD's IP or infringe patent law. Otherwise, it's Larrabee and i740 all over again.

Again.

I don't think Larrabee was ever made to speed up graphics very well, the moment we heard x86 emulating graphics API's we knew Larrabee was going to suck at graphics, Intel would have know well before that, the press had more to do with Larrabee being a graphics accelerator more than Intel did.

Intel's goal was to redefine graphics with Larrabee, they were talking a lot about raytracing with it back in the day with its compute abilities.  That goal was a long shot and shouldn't have been taken seriously.

9 minutes ago, v0nn_toaster said:

intel HD 630 can run GTA 5 better than the Xbox 360....

Not bad for an iGPU but that isn't saying much versus the last gen console that sometimes struggles on newer games. I wish Intel would use Iris graphics on desktop chips or sell the "K" sku's without the igpu.

Looks Intel hasn't upgraded their iGPU's for 2 years now, its been awhile, shouldn't be looking at today's stuff to compare it to.  Actually we can even say up to 4 years, not much difference from the latest 6xx's vs the 5xx's or the 4xx's.

Maybe they could get a headstart in the GPU market by bardering x86 to a certain other AMD competitor.

1 minute ago, ZcanKal said:

Maybe they could get a headstart in the GPU market by bardering x86 to a certain other AMD competitor.

Why would Nvidia give a shit about x86? They don't have the mindshare to sell CPUs, and x86 isn't worth much without x64 in this day and age, certainly not worth dealing with a third competitor.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Hopefully it runs... 

See the source image

cool. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Why would Nvidia give a shit about x86? They don't have the mindshare to sell CPUs, and x86 isn't worth much without x64 in this day and age, certainly not worth dealing with a third competitor.

I mean, Intel's competing with Nvidia anyway if they joined, so might as well, also, co-processing.

Just now, ARikozuM said:

-Kill it with fire snip-

images.jpg.506dcc468b05bbf92a48d00af10cbda8.jpg

Spoiler

5ad011113d749_EmoPandaTFiWWY1.thumb.jpg.ec42871153a265de5604c5ef18aca8fc.jpg

1 minute ago, ZcanKal said:

I mean, Intel's competing with Nvidia anyway if they joined, so might as well, also, co-processing.

Except Intel doesn't need Nvidia to compete in that market.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

"kill it with fire snip"

Haha, you can't use fire against ice! 

Spoiler

image.png.ae25697cab12b589b8a6aeaf56e9c741.png

Oh, sh#t!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

images.jpg.506dcc468b05bbf92a48d00af10cbda8.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

5ad011113d749_EmoPandaTFiWWY1.thumb.jpg.ec42871153a265de5604c5ef18aca8fc.jpg

Except Intel doesn't need Nvidia to compete in that market.

You're... enthusiastic.

They wouldn't be competitive if all they had was x86.

2 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

They wouldn't be competitive if all they had was x86.

If you're talking about Intel, they own x86. They license out x86 to AMD, in exchange for AMD licensing out AMD64/x64 to Intel. Without each other, both are basically worthless to the modern world.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Intel is huge in the mobile market. wouldn't surprise me if they go for some 75W or less solutions that compete with things like the RX 550, 560 ,GT1030, GTX 1050