Chris Hook leaves AMD

NumLock21

AMD_Radeon_RX_Vega_Nano_2_e1523470263369.jpg.c098231e7439cc0bfa449a65cd4a65f3.jpg

AMD senior director of Global Product Marketing of Radeon Technology Group, Chris Hook has left the company after working there for 17 years, when the company was called ATi, before it got purchased by AMD. He didn't say where he's going next, but speculation suggest, he might be heading for the Blue team. AMD has already announced his replacement.

Hook is responsible for global marketing of a wide range of AMD's products, including Ryzen, Radeon, and Radeon Pro.

Hook made the announcement via his Facebook account and is headed to a new unspecified role that begins at the end of April, but he didn't specify the nature of his new role. Raja Koduri recently left AMD for Intel, and given the long working relationship between the two, speculation will run rampant that Hook will head to Intel to help Koduri with Intel's discrete GPU initiative.

Hi Everyone,

As some of you know, I made the decision recently to leave AMD to pursue a new role outside the company (which I start at the end of April).

AMD has been a great company to work for, and I owe a tremendous amount to them both professionally and personally. Changing jobs was an incredibly hard decision to make since I’ve been with AMD/ATI since I was still in my late 20s, which is so long ago that ATI still had a smoking room, there was only one TV in the office (a small 14” black and white version we crowded into a room to watch 9/11 on), transistor size was still measured in microns, and 320x240 was considered ‘high res’.

The most rewarding experience I had at AMD was reigniting Radeon over the past couple of years with Radeon Technologies Group, growing its market share from high teens to low thirties, and achieving a record revenue quarter late last year. It was a ton of work, but I’ve never had so much fun, visited so many great places, or worked with such amazing people.

I’m also incredibly grateful to the tech press, who have been my second family for the past couple of decades, and I’ll always remember our adventures in places like Tunis, Iceland, Macau, Ibiza and the USS Hornet, to name a few. I hope there will be more of that one day.

I’ll fill you all in on my new opportunity in the coming days and weeks. In the mean time, I’m going to enjoy a few days of vacation where I don’t have to be constantly checking a work smart phone to see what’s going on back in the office (that hasn’t happened since I got my first Blackberry in 2002). 
Cheers,
Chris

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-technologies-chris-hook-departure,36867.html

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

15 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

AMD was still called ATi.

Isn’t AMD already existed with ATI back in the day and it wasn’t until AMD acquired ATI it just becomes Radeon technologies? 

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

12 minutes ago, hobobobo said:

wat?

AMD acquired ATi.

10 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Isn’t AMD already existed with ATI back in the day and it wasn’t until AMD acquired ATI?

Yes both AMD and ATi existed back then. So "back when AMD was ATi", meant was when ATi was still called ATi, not AMD.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

AMD's marketing has generally been pretty terrible so I hope they get someone that can really achieve something but there's a good chance we'll get more of the same or worse.

12 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

AMD's marketing has generally been pretty terrible so I hope they get someone that can really achieve something but there's a good chance we'll get more of the same or worse.

Sasa Marinkovic is supposed to be taking over.  Depending on the lea way he is given to talk and direct, it might prove to be interesting since he helped with overhauling the AMD graphic driver software.  He has also been with the company for 20+ years.

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/46035-amd-hands-product-marketing-reins-to-sasa-marinkovic

Back in 2014, Sasa Marinkovic switched to become head of VR and Software Marketing which later, in 2015, became part of the Radeon Technologies Group, led by another now ex AMD chap, Raja Koduri.

Sasa was one of the key people, along with some other big names in the software part of AMD - like Terry Makedon - who pretty much overhauled the entire AMD graphics driver software. It all started back with the big Catalyst Omega update, over to Radeon Software Crimson, Crimson ReLive, to the latest, and we must say most impressive update, Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition.

Since last year, Sasa Marinkovic was Director of Software Marketing at AMD and he will now take over as Director of Product Marketing. We wish him all the best, and you can check out AMD's official statement below.

"Sasa Marinkovic Director, Radeon Software Marketing will be taking leadership of AMD Product and Content Marketing. Over his twenty years career at AMD, Sasa has successfully launched several generations of disruptive AMD products and will be responsible for the introduction of the next generation of AMD’s Ryzen and Radeon products. In addition, Chris Hook has left AMD to pursue other opportunities. We thank Chris for his many contributions and wish him well in the next stage of his career."

31 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

AMD acquired ATi.

Yes both AMD and ATi existed back then. So "back when AMD was ATi", meant was when ATi was still called ATi, not AMD.

So he was originally part of ATI before the acquisition right? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

So he was originally part of ATI before the acquisition right? 

Yes

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

57 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

AMD acquired ATi.

Well, i know that, just "when amd was ati" sounds like ati did a rebrand

On the other hand, if he is the guy who was responisble for "poor volta" then this is a welcome change, perhaps rtg marketing will stop being a fuming dump now

2 minutes ago, hobobobo said:

Well, i know that, just "when amd was ati" sounds like ati did a rebrand

On the other hand, if he is the guy who was responsible for "poor volta" then this is a welcome change, perhaps rtg marketing will stop being a fuming dump now

Ya know that had to be Roy Taylor, there was no one else with AMD that was ever that tongue and cheek

38 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I don't think that's worded very well lol.

I think I fixed it. If not, that picture I updated, probably makes better sense than my extremely poor wording. xD

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Kinda ironic how he's holding up a product that ended up not really existing...

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

4 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

SAD!

Seriously I do hope the best for AMD, they've been struggling ...

wut? you realize they're in a better position then they've been in the last decade right now, right?

Probably left because he's so embarrassed they never released that fucking VEGA NANO. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Inb4 he and Raja got canned for being washed up at this point.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Inb4 he and Raja got canned for being washed up at this point.

Keep this in mind Raja designed GCN 1.0, the same architecture that gave AMD the lead 3 gens ago then when he left and came back AMD didn't have funds nor time to make a new architecture from the ground up.  Same shit rehashed.  He also designed AMD's last great chip too the 9700.  The r600 was a misstep, but missteps happen.

Yes Lisa Su was the one that cut R&D for the RTG.  Prior to that RTG was the only profitable group in the bunch it kept AMD afloat.

Now if you want to say HD4xxx was a great chip, yes it was, I will say it was only great for graphics though its VLIW architecture gave it that advantage.  But the graphics industry was shifting way from purely graphics, going to a compute nature, this is where nV went to first, but with Tesla they kept it around for too long.  And with the Fermi mishaps, AMD was able to still use VLIW architectures to keep up with nV in gaming, but in compute they just got creamed, and as time went out, nV got better at it, till what we see now.  The advantages they have are because of experience and the money to drive to learn the different approaches in GPGPU designs.

When you don't have money you can't make good things happen.   If you look at the difference in graphics patents from AMD vs nV prior to the R&D being cut they were going pretty much toe to toe.  After that though.  nV filed many more patents than AMD, almost double per year.

1 minute ago, Razor01 said:

the same architecture that gave AMD the lead 3 gens ago then when he left and came back AMD didn't have funds nor time to make a new architecture from the ground up.  Same shit rehashed.

This is irrelevant to Raja (and Chris) potentially being washed up.

1 minute ago, Razor01 said:

Keep this in mind Raja made GCN 1.0

And it was good, for its time. Doesn't mean Raja isn't past his prime.

3 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

Lisa Su was the one that cut R&D for the RTG.  Prior to that RTG was the only profitable group in the bunch it kept AMD afloat.

RTG, which has been going downhill fairly fast for a while. Now, AMD doesn't need to rely soly on RTG, which is great because VEGA was a commercial failure on every front so far. Cutting R&D to RTG in favor of making the Zen arch family better has been the smart move so far.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

This is irrelevant to Raja (and Chris) potentially being washed up.

And it was good, for its time. Doesn't mean Raja isn't past his prime.

RTG, which has been going downhill fairly fast for a while. Now, AMD doesn't need to rely soly on RTG, which is great because VEGA was a commercial failure on every front so far. Cutting R&D to RTG in favor of making the Zen arch family better has been the smart move so far.

The mind doesn't go to waste in 5 years unless he has dementia or something ;)

Yes it does, to make a new design takes hundreds of millions of dollars, just to tape out a chip the actually finalization of design costs 10 million bucks man, that is just the final stage before going into mass production.  You don't think the course of 3 years to design a GPU it wouldn't cost much more than that?  We are talking the same budget as make a good CPU.

So you think the r2xx series was a failure too?  They failed I agree but not because of the technology, it was because they couldn't deliver the chip to market properly.

Just now, Razor01 said:

The mind doesn't go to waste in 5 years unless he has dementia or something

That's not what being washed up means.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

That's not what being washed up means.

In the terms of a person that is capable, yeah it is.

You mean things like burnt out maybe but I doubt that too, people that get to that level, upper levels of management, are a special breed.  What drives them is totally different than the average work force.

ok but can we have the new Vega nano or whatever that he is holding in the pic soon?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 hours ago, Razor01 said:

In the terms of a person that is capable, yeah it is.

You mean things like burnt out maybe but I doubt that too, people that get to that level, upper levels of management, are a special breed.  What drives them is totally different than the average work force.

You see it all the time. People stop growing or run out of new ideas. So he very well could be washed up (which really does not in any form mean dementia). Maybe he has just hit a slump. Maybe he just needs more freedom (or less). Maybe he needs more resources.

We'll see what happens at Intel.