Streaming box question

PurplDrank

Hey folks so i have the last generation Amazon Fire TV, i bought the last gen a few weeks before this crappy new model came out: https://www.amazon.com/all-new-amazon-fire-tv-4k-uhd-streaming-media-player/dp/B01N32NCPM.

Anyway the quality of my Amazon Fire TV is fine it works great the quality of the streams is good, however it does buffer from time to time. it doesnt buffer when using netflix or anything like that, it buffers when using something like plex. 

When should i get a new streaming box of sorts? in a year or two?

to go on a bit of a rant here the new amazon fire tv box is horrible. Who wants a tv box dangling from the back of the tv? might as well have a fire stick at that point. Super dissapointed in amazon, im a huge fan of amazon and they dropped the ball on this new box. 

I second the nVidia Shield TV.  It costs more but is well worth it.  I've been replacing all my Fire TVs with Shield TV boxes and "giving" my Fire TVs away to fiends for free.

Its nice to be free of the the spam and pushing of Amazon apps/services.  Cleaner interface.  Turns my TVs off via HDMI-CEC, which I hated the Fire TVs never would (even though they could turn the TV on).  I love how my Shield TV works with my Google Home devices for voice control.