AMD launches Radeon RX 500X series for OEMs - Innovation vs Rebranding 2.0?

AlTech

AMD has launched the Radeon RX 500X series. These are blatant rebrands of existing Radeon RX 500 video cards however they are exclusively for OEMs.

The idea is that these will be used in laptops and desktops by OEMs so that they have the latest hardware in their products.

The $799 entry-level model of HP’s new Pavilion gaming laptops includes Radeon RX 560X graphics, a GPU unheard of before this morning. But that’s no typo. On Wednesday, AMD announced the Radeon RX 500X series of graphics cards, which basically slap a new name on the existing Radeon RX 500-series GPUs (which themselves were pretty much a slightly faster, rebranded version of the RX 400-series).

Radeon RX 500X graphics cards will only be available to makers of laptops and prebuilt desktops, but don’t let that bother you.

“There are no hardware differences to non-X [RX 500 GPUs],” an AMD spokesperson told me. “The Radeon RX 500X series graphics cards is a brand refresh for 2018 OEM platforms that ensures Radeon RX 500 series cards are using the latest ‘Polaris’ architecture-based hardware and driver revisions (Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition) for 2018.”

Again, don’t expect to see discrete Radeon RX 500X graphics cards on store shelves. As AMD’s spokesperson said, this is a pure branding play for PC vendors, and an opportunity for those manufacturers to market all the truly killer new features in Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition. If you already have a PC with Radeon graphics inside, be sure to swing by AMD’s download page to pick it up.

Here's a quote from AMD:

There are no hardware differences to non-X [RX 500 GPUs], The Radeon RX 500X series graphics cards is a brand refresh for 2018 OEM platforms that ensures Radeon RX 500 series cards are using the latest ‘Polaris’ architecture-based hardware and driver revisions (Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition) for 2018.

So yeah, this is stupid and really begs the question as to what AMD is actually working on right now.

Hopefully the answer to that is Navi and not 7nm VEGA for consumers. It is unlikely that we will see brand new video cards this year from AMD.

Source:https://www.pcworld.com/article/3268307/components-graphics/amd-radeon-rx-500x-series-graphics-gpu.html

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Hopefully the answer to that is Navi and not 7nm VEGA for consumers. It is unlikely that we will see brand new video cards this year from AMD.

gpuroadmap_575px.png

AMD has a bunch of OEM SKUs and always had, so it's probably another set for China.

AMD is going to be making Polaris on 14nm for something like the next 5 years, since they've put it in a huge chunk of embedded SKUs.

AMD is acting weird as usual. Hopefully we'll see an awakening like we saw with Ryzen.
Polaris 10 is 2 years old and will be with us for at least another year. Vega is a power hungry beast in Discrete GPU (in 14nm, and as of now 7nm isn't coming to consumers GPUs) and we've only seen 3 of those, the rest of Vega is APUs and mobile. Navi is still a long way away. 
Or that they're just making banks off of consoles and don't care anymore.

PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 | Asus ROG B350-i Gaming | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Corsair CX650M | G.SKILL RIPJAW 16GB 3000Mhz | CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB AIO | SK Hynix SC308 256GB M.2 SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD | Fractal Design Define Nano S

Peripherals:

Red Dragon K552 Kumara RGB | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | LG 29WK600-W 29" UltraWide | Razer Kraken USB 

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

AMD has a bunch of OEM SKUs and always had, so it's probably another set for China.

Nope. This is for all of their OEMs.

They've only had 2 China exclusive products to date that we know of: RX560D and RX470D.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

AMD is going to be making Polaris on 14nm for something like the next 5 years, since they've put it in a huge chunk of embedded SKUs.

I'm not so sure.

AMD has really outdone themselves. The Radeon 500 Series (not to be mistaken with Radeon RX 500 series) consists of GCN 1st gen, GCN 3rd gen and GCN 4th gen products with the majority using GCN 3rd gen.

The Radeon RX 500 series consists of GCN 4th Gen products. The Radeon RX VEGA series consists of GCN 5th Gen products.

The biggest problem AMD has had is that not many Radeon Polaris dGPU have been used by OEMs. Radeon Pro with Apple's MBP has been successful as far we know.

1 minute ago, Combustible Lemon said:

Polaris 10 is 2 years old and will be with us at least another year.

Vega is a power hungry beast in Discrete GPU (in 14nm, and as of now 7nm isn't coming to consumer GPUs) and we've only seen 3 of those,

Not necessarily. The VEGA architecture is efficient. It's just that in their 4 SKUs they've released, they've completely gone past VEGA's efficiency curve.

They have thrown power consumption out the window to get performance with those SKUs but AMD could make a much more efficient SKU if they wanted. The problem would be that it would be slower than the current 4 SKUs.

Oh, I can promise you that consoles are probably where their worst margins are if not one of the worst margins.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

AMD is acting weird as usual.
Polaris 10 is 2 years old and will be with us at least another year. Vega is a power hungry beast in Discrete GPU (in 14nm, and as of now 7nm isn't coming to consumer GPUs) and we've only seen 3 of those, the rest of Vega is APUs and mobile. Navi is still a long way away. 

Title Refresh for OEMs is a common business practice, so that's not weird.

As for what they're doing in the consumer space, actual answer is "nothing this year" but they won't say it. Vega on 7nm is for ML and acting as a "pipe cleaner" for GloFo's 7nm. Navi is 2019 and should be a full portfolio upgrade. AMD needs a new process to bring online a large-die GPU.

7 minutes ago, Combustible Lemon said:

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Oh, I can promise you that consoles are probably where their worst margins are if not one of the worst margins.

i'm sure the margins on console would depress more than one of us.

Not only do they have to customize their hardware for consoles, which probably isn't paid by sony and microsoft, but they need to keep cpu+gpu under a certain price to fit the 400/500$ mark of the console itself.

Making bank on it? they made what, 400 millions $ last year on consoles? on how many millions of units sold?

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not necessarily. The VEGA architecture is efficient. It's just that in their 4 SKUs they've released, they've completely gone past VEGA's efficiency curve.

They have thrown power consumption out the window to get performance with those SKUs but AMD could make a much more efficient SKU if they wanted. The problem would be that it would be slower than the current 4 SKUs.

from what we've seen from Vega so far, the power consumption relative to performance is nowhere near Nvidia current line up. And that's with HBM2 compare to GDDR5. I can't see how they can make it much better on the same architecture. 

PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 | Asus ROG B350-i Gaming | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Corsair CX650M | G.SKILL RIPJAW 16GB 3000Mhz | CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB AIO | SK Hynix SC308 256GB M.2 SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD | Fractal Design Define Nano S

Peripherals:

Red Dragon K552 Kumara RGB | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | LG 29WK600-W 29" UltraWide | Razer Kraken USB 

5 minutes ago, Combustible Lemon said:

from what we've seen from Vega so far, the power consumption relative to performance is nowhere near Nvidia current line up. And that's with HBM2 compare to GDDR5. I can't see how they can make it much better on the same architecture. 

RX Vega is clocked & powered too high relative to the efficiency curve, which is why some of the better silicon can get Undervolt/Overclocks. Though the issue is the HBM2 more than the raw clocks, which is why the RX Vega 56 tends to be so close to the 64.

This reminds me like old HD 8000 series. But whatever. 

Navi is next sucessor to look forward to. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

42 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Navi is next sucessor to look forward to. 

I just hope it won't have annoying coil whine. HeyListenHeyListenHeyListenHeyListenHeyListenHeyListenHeyListenHeyListenHeyListenHeyListen

This cards should be called 'Let us appease system integrators we have been fucking over by focusing on miners....now that mining is conveniently on a down turn'

Not as catch as 500x but still not the worst naming convention AMD would have come up with.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This could be AMD hoping to get some OEM market share. As long as it makes AMD money its good, im glad they didnt release them as consumer GPU`s but as OEM hardware. If AMD did another polaris refresh consumers wouldnt be happy. AMD is trying to get a name for themselves in a market dominated by intel. it is good to see AMD making some progress

So I just read that Navi may be what Polaris was to 390X https://overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/amd_s_navi_gpus_rumoured_to_lack_a_high-end_offering/1
So Vega performance but for mid range prices? Until they get their next-gen post GCN in future?!

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Standard OEM refresh. Nothing to see here.

It's HD8000/GTX800 series all over again. OEMs want new product every year to sell something new to consumers. They don't care what or how. That's how you get stupid products like this. At least they didn't call it RX 600 series.

1 hour ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Remember when the 'X' was reserved for AMD Fury X?

The X predates the Fury X by almost 2 years.

1 hour ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Remember when the 'X' was reserved for AMD Fury X?

TuKf61l_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Back in the ATI days there was the X300, x400, x500, x600, x700, x800, x1000 series. Then recently there was the 250x, 260x, 270x, 280x, 290x. And even the 390x was released before the fury x (albeit only by a week or so).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

So I just read that Navi may be what Polaris was to 390X https://overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/amd_s_navi_gpus_rumoured_to_lack_a_high-end_offering/1
So Vega performance but for mid range prices? Until they get their next-gen post GCN in future?!

that rumor seems to be Bs, as that would be almost the same thing as a vega on 7nm, and considering all we know officially is that it will be scalable it makes no sense that it wouldn't have more Cus/shaders somehow (it being by using a bigger die (needs some architecture work) or by being a mcm)

4 hours ago, asus killer said:

gpuroadmap_575px.png

what the fuck is that graph even quantifying?

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

4 hours ago, asus killer said:

gpuroadmap_575px.png

The audacity to put 'Leadership' on that slide..... ^^

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

5 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

no vega 7nm.

Just now, asus killer said:

no vega 7nm.

but they used bars to quantify something is better than something by a certain amount, wtf even is that graphic?

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

4 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I mean, looking strictly at the graph, it could be indicating a 2018 navi launch ( 2017 vega, 2018 navi, 2019 nextgen). 

But I'd be more inclined to say it's a promotional slide loosely based on reality. I'm quite sceptical of 7nm gpus this year, considering how much time the transition to 14nm from 28nm took. I just don't see gpus using (quite literally) bleeding edge manufacturing tech

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I mean, looking strictly at the graph, it could be indicating a 2018 navi launch ( 2017 vega, 2018 navi, 2019 nextgen). 

But I'd be more inclined to say it's a promotional slide loosely based on reality. I'm quite sceptical of 7nm gpus this year, considering how much time the transition to 14nm from 28nm took. I just don't see gpus using (quite literally) bleeding edge manufacturing tech

image.png.4b08f8d4167e4c5e66034ff4586f0ba5.png

Even when they label their axis it's still a load of shit with no actual data.

muh specs 

All parts black