Lawmakers want Facebook's help providing rural broadband

Fasterthannothing
On 4/12/2018 at 6:10 AM, Tellos said:

@divito Mostp eople especially in government do not understand technolgoy. We are becomming literally magicians to people.  And the gaps only getting wider. Some people actually think wifi signals are jsut in the air no moem or router needed. it just gets broadcast from the ether! People become uninterested in understanding it seems. I liek to but i also went to college for studying computer sciences and specvificly networks. But that is turnign me into a strangely scary person to some people or some weird tyrant somehow in their minds.

The media then uses words poorly and now people think they got buzzwords to throw at me and "catch me" in something. Peoples internet slows they think it's throttling, it's usualy any nubmer of things they are doing or that is caused by QoS systems for network management trying to prevent a lock up on all channels.So these government morons think facebook uses the internet thus can somehow "provide" it.

While people often jump to the conclusion that isps are throttling their connection when it is slow it should also be noted that this has happened and many isps got sued for it. What's worse is that the federal testing site for internet bandwidth gets boosted so that when the government would test to make sure people are getting the bandwidth they paid for it would pass. I mean this isn't all isps across the board but the fact is that isps are an oligarchy and face very little regulation now. They have been know to do many shady things so it really isn't unreasonable for people not to like or trust them. 

@Brooksie359 more often it's a QoS issue, since we must treat all data the same we cant priortize your youtube video over somebodies e-mail.