This cooler VOIDS your warranty! - Worth the risk??

Check out the Ncore by NudeCNC on Kickstarter: https://kck.st/2GHoE65

First you upgrade the Intel TIM, then you try out Liquid Metal - the next logical step on the quest for the lowest temps is to completely eliminate the IHS.

Buy Liquid Metal
On Amazon: http://geni.us/sKGWr
On Newegg: http://geni.us/hS2Y

Plenty of enthusiasts have been running delidded cpus with no IHS for decades.

This is literally the exact same thing as people are already doing, putting the waterblock on the bare die, just more convenient.
Nothing new or revolutionary.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Using a Heatkiller IV Pro with direct die on a 7700K I could boot and run CB at 5.5Ghz and get 5.3Ghz completely stable (24 hours Realbench, Aida64, OCCT) at about 1.475V.   The problem isn't temperature or voltage (1.75V lets go bois) it just becomes how high the silicon wall of frequency is.

The only positive to using the cooler in this video is you don't have to shave the corners of the socket on the motherboard.  The negative is you have to use an inferior waterblock as part of the whole package.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

23 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

I see... yes... I certainly see... WHAT?!  Are we going back to pre-x64?!

Direct die cooling like the original Athlon or some Pentium III's. xD

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

Direct die cooling like the original Athlon or some Pentium III's. xD

Yep, Even if I was born after that era, I've dealt with them.  Never again, those things are so fragile.

Not much to say here, just

takemymoney.jpg

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

40 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Plenty of enthusiasts have been running delidded cpus with no IHS for decades.

This is literally the exact same thing as people are already doing, putting the waterblock on the bare die, just more convenient.
Nothing new or revolutionary.

This provides an advantage in that you don't have to remove the retention mechanism.

it's time

I thought on-die cooling has been a thing for a years, why is this such a big deal?

Or did I miss something?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

16 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I thought on-die cooling has been a thing for a years, why is this such a big deal?

Or did I miss something?

putting normal waterblocks directly on the die, yes. this is a cooler designed for just that, so its way less risky :)

also heads up to anyone that wants the absolutely AMAZING LOOKING V1D with the frame, you can get it in anodised yellow :x 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

putting normal waterblocks directly on the die, yes. this is a cooler designed for just that, so its way less risky :)

All the safety doesn't protect against impatience and an effect I can only describe as "Leroy Jankism"

1 minute ago, ZcanKal said:

All the safety doesn't protect against impatience and an effect I can only describe as "Leroy Jankism"

MY DELID JOB INTENSEFIES

no protection for the SMDs, questionable aplication, IHS moved around a lot before the block got on there... lots of scetch going on with my CPU cooling already :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Egh, I've been heavily contemplating on whether to back the V1D or not. Frankly, IMO, its the nicest looking waterblock which makes me want it even more...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

it's not I mean it's kinda unique but to me the copper needed more mass and I checked the kickstarter and to me ouch. we could do a project on a metal fed 3d printer and place a joint order like massdrop and come out with something more solid I think. (why acrylic at all) I'd go 100% metal. and I really enjoy the wan show and am watching all the video's to catch up but today should have come with a warning (don't be drinking something and watch this) almost sprayed a coke all over my mechanical keyboard. B|

to err is human, to really mess things up requires an IP.

2 minutes ago, rcorkum said:

it's not I mean it's kinda unique but to me the copper needed more mass and I checked the kickstarter and to me ouch. we could do a project on a metal fed 3d printer and place a joint order like massdrop and come out with something more solid I think. (why acrylic at all) I'd go 100% metal.

For something like this you'd need to use 3D Printed wax, then cast the block. Once cast you'd still need to CNC or manually mill out the surface for the IHS and threads for the fittings.  As far as I know pure copper filament 3D printers don't exist, there are some direct metal laser melting (DMLM) 3D printers that do metal, but then you need a powder, laser printers are prohibitively expensive, and you'll still need a CNC milling process after to get the tolerances correct.  Basically the current process by NudeCNC is about as cost effective as you can get, and I see nothing wrong with using acrylic in a block.

2 hours ago, RollTime said:

This provides an advantage in that you don't have to remove the retention mechanism.

Yeah, that's what I said, it's just more convenient, it's nothing new.

It doesn't offer any better temps than what people already get by running bare die liquid cooling with liquid metal.

In fact I'm pretty sure you would get better temps if you did the above using a supremacy evo waterblock instead of the one in the video.

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Or did I miss something?

Either LTT is just very uninformed about what enthusiasts have been doing for the past decade, or they're trying to build excitement for the people who didn't know this has already been a thing for a long time.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What are you doing?? Sniffing it!... Look at that spread! #takingwhatlinussayscompletelyoutoforderandcontext

I've been looking at ways to push my system as far as I can take it.  This is a pretty cool vid for me because I'm running a 7700k on a z270 board totally stock right now. Which I think is running at 4.5 GHz.  I'm running cooling with a Corsair H60 AIO, so I should probably be less of a wuss and get overclocking finally.

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

Yeah, that's what I said, it's just more convenient, it's nothing new.

It doesn't offer any better temps than what people already get by running bare die liquid cooling with liquid metal.

In fact I'm pretty sure you would get better temps if you did the above using a supremacy evo waterblock instead of the one in the video.

Ah, gotcha.

it's time

1.500V CPU, how much more is this pulling out of the wall?

EKWB has mounting hardware for their Supremacy blocks for using it with a delidded CPU - the Naked Ivy set for Ivy Bridge and Haswell CPUs, though you need to remove the retention setup from the mainboard. Does not support newer generations, though, and it doesn't appear EK has released a set for newer generations. But depending on tolerances, it might be easy-ish to create something similar. And as others have pointed out, direct-cooling a delidded CPU is not new. Wouldn't surprise me if there is custom mounting hardware for using AIOs with delidded CPUs.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

12 hours ago, brandishwar said:

EKWB has mounting hardware for their Supremacy blocks for using it with a delidded CPU - the Naked Ivy set for Ivy Bridge and Haswell CPUs, though you need to remove the retention setup from the mainboard. Does not support newer generations, though, and it doesn't appear EK has released a set for newer generations. But depending on tolerances, it might be easy-ish to create something similar. And as others have pointed out, direct-cooling a delidded CPU is not new. Wouldn't surprise me if there is custom mounting hardware for using AIOs with delidded CPUs.

One of the bigger problems with running a bare die setup is mounting pressure. Too much and you don't get proper contact and temps suffer, too much and you risk cracking the die.

That has always been the major downside of running a naked DIE, this seems to be a decent and safer alternative

6 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

One of the bigger problems with running a bare die setup is mounting pressure. Too much and you don't get proper contact and temps suffer, too much and you risk cracking the die.

That has always been the major downside of running a naked DIE, this seems to be a decent and safer alternative

Actually, that's pretty much the BIGGEST problem running the die bare. Which is why the mounting hardware from EKWB was intended to hold the block at a specific height, saving you from that risk.

Then there was the concern with the Pentium III and Athlon chips when Intel and AMD, respectively, migrated away from riser cards. Back when I built an Athlon XP system, mWave had a service where they'd install the CPU and cooler and verify it all works, then ship it already assembled. Saving you from risking cracking the CPU and its exposed die, which was still a risk even with the spacer pads on the PCB. Use too much pressure attaching the cooler and CRACK!

At least with LGA CPUs and even the PGA CPUs today, pins cover the entirety of the underside, which limits the risk of using too much pressure on a naked die. But you still need to be careful.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6