European Parliament proposal for Link Tax: Would this damage LTT in Europe?

WMGroomAK

Techspot has an article on some news coming out of the EFF concerning a new proposal within the European Parliament to impose a Link Tax as a part of the update to the European Copyright Directive.  Basically as it is worded, websites and news publishers would be required to pay a copyright-fee to the original source of a news article or to include even small snippets of those articles in their own stories.  Seeing as how a lot of the news articles on the LTT forum require a source article and quotation of text, I could see that this would create a lot of additional burden as well as the way news stories are multiply linked and sourced online, this will just be a headache to follow and implement...

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/04/european-copyright-law-isnt-great-it-could-soon-get-lot-worse

The biggest and most worrisome changes are to the "link tax" proposal, which would establish a special copyright-like fee to be paid by websites to news publishers, in exchange for the privilege of using short snippets of quoted text as part of a link to the original news article. Voss's latest amendments would make the link tax an inalienable right, that news publishers cannot waive even if they choose to.

The practical effect of this could be to make it impossible for a news publisher to publish their stories for free use, for example by using a Creative Commons license. When a similar inalienable link tax was passed into law in Spain, the country's biggest news aggregation website, which had been Google News, simply closed its Spanish operation. We can well imagine similar results if the link tax went Europe-wide

That's not all. Voss proposes that the beneficiaries of the link tax should include press agencies (who often provide the raw information based upon which other journalists write stories), and that libraries should also be responsible for paying extra fees to publishers in "compensation" for their rental and lending activities.

Although Voss hasn't managed to make the upload filtering proposal any worse than it was before, it was plenty bad enough already. Although targeted mainly at sites that host video and music uploaded by users, it's broad enough to extend to extend to any sort of user-uploaded content, including code contributed to platforms like Github, and even text contributed to a user-edited encyclopedia (although Voss would support an amendment excluding non-profit encyclopedias from the law, which may or may not save Wikipedia).

While I don't live in Europe, I could see this having a massive impact on news & information sharing, especially in ensuring that news is shared to the rest of the outside from Europe...  Seems more like an information control ploy than something that is actually useful.  

https://www.techspot.com/news/74113-european-copyright-directive-impose-link-tax-subsidize-publishers.html

I dont think this would hurt LTT. Its not LTT doing it, and LTT is not based on Europe. Usually things like this require the offending party to be based within the jurisdiction that is covered by these laws. LTT is based in Canada so this wouldnt/shouldnt apply to them in a legal basis. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

If Google managed to avoid it by simply closing down operations in Spain, it would seem LTT would be fine unless this was somehow enforced by the Canadian Govt.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

2 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

I dont think this would hurt LTT. Its not LTT doing it, and LTT is not based on Europe. Usually things like this require the offending party to be based within the jurisdiction that is covered by these laws. LTT is based in Canada so this wouldnt/shouldnt apply to them in a legal basis. 

2 minutes ago, Ezzy-525 said:

If Google managed to avoid it by simply closing down operations in Spain, it would seem LTT would be fine unless this was somehow enforced by the Canadian Govt.

I would hope that having your business/operation based in a separate jurisdiction would provide some semblance of security, however both Google and Wikipedia are home based in countries outside of the EU and it appears that, in Spain at least, Google's answer was to shut down news operations.  It feels like there might be a large legal grey area and that if this were to pass, LTT might have to exclude EU based news sources or potentially face a tax on those sources...

Doesn't the flipping EU do something like this every sodding year, afaik they tried to copyright all images on Google Images a while back... seems a yearly "thing" they must do, how to fuck something up for zero bloody reason.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

2 minutes ago, Kierax said:

Doesn't the flipping EU do something like this every sodding year, afaik they tried to copyright all images on Google Images a while back... seems a yearly "thing" they must do, how to fuck something up for zero bloody reason.

No, that's the reason. They need to be seen as being useful, rather than the draconian future they represent.

@WMGroomAK

Forgive me, but...

well excuse me princess.jpg

5 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

This has nothing to do with USA or Canada period

It has nothing to do with current US or Canadian issues, however it does impact the ability to share information on the internet, which would affect the ability to get information within the US or Canada.  I also worry that if it passes, it may inspire the US and Canadian politicians to give it a try themselves...  

16 minutes ago, Kierax said:

These are proposals, not things that have actually been done. The EU parliament has allll kinds of different parties in it, so you get all kinds of proposals - including some very silly stuff.

Most of the silly stuff gets weeded out and never actually passed.

It's kinda like how Indiana once almost ended up legally defining Pi as being equal to 3.2.

13 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

These are proposals, not things that have actually been done. The EU parliament has allll kinds of different parties in it, so you get all kinds of proposals - including some very silly stuff.

It's kinda like how Indiana once almost ended up legally defining Pi as being equal to 3.2.

He is just salty because of the Brexit.

35 minutes ago, Kierax said:

31 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

No, that's the reason. They need to be seen as being useful, rather than the draconian future they represent.

@WMGroomAK

Forgive me, but...

-pic-

11 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

as mentioned by Sakkura, these are proposals. There are tons of these, taking in account the amount of variety of parties there are in the EP (8 different parties going from conservative to greens)

They do a lot of useful things, except people don't bother looking into them, or you aren't told about it.

Most recent public achievements: roaming? Gone, thanks to who? not telecoms, no. Being able to watch/stream your content all over Europe without limitations? oh, gone too, thanks to EP. Not being abused by ISPs and have some kind of net neutrality? EP too.

Yes, I remember when Google had to shut down their news thing in Spain.

It was rather... well newspapers were divided, some were unhappy to provide google news for free and wanted a kickback, others actually said they benefited from this.

Though even if google news shut down in spain, you can still use the function, they just recommend news now and that's where they stop, a bit of a grey area.

To me this proposal from EP is just a sad move from the currently dying media that is having a hard time adapting to modern times. Gone the days were you had to pay to read them, now you can access their sites for free=less income for them. Media has always been struggling regardless.

It just won't get anywhere and will end up forgotten. 

But no, I doubt LTT would be affected, as we are the ones providing and discussing the news, on a forum. At the end of the day we could just summarize the article in 2 sentences and done.

52 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

While I agree, I think I might have my understanding of the law wrong. But it sounds like it's designed for sites that republish stories from other sites or cite from those stores to build their own. For LTT, Gamers Nexus, and users, they are retelling the information provided, but aren't claiming the story as their in, so I don't think this is their intended Target.

//Break...

On a tangent, this is what happens when media become funded by advertisements. It looks like the issue is people reading information from a source in a separate site, and are losing out on as revenue... This had really gotten out of hand.

Maybe the ad revenue model needs to change, not the law...

The EU are stupid af, I'm glad the UK is going ahead with Brexit. So long as other non EU countries agree trade deals with us (such as america, canada, china, etc) we're fine. But even some of the countries still in the EU might want to trade with us.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

To me, this actually makes sense.

Not sure if I will be happy with how it will end up being implemented (lots of room to screw it up), but there are a lot of big websites that mostly just repost articles from proper websites, and it is very harmful to the industry.

Imagine hiring reports to write well formulated articles, and then some website just rewords what you wrote and push it to their readers. There are lots of massive websites which only base their content on other publications' work, and if that keeps going on then the industry will collapse for everyone. The real sources will have to make cuts because they don't make enough money, and the websites reposting content will suffer too.

The original news source now a days is Twitter, well at least for the mainstream trashy media so it looks like Twitter will turn some record profits....

This sounds really stupid.  Not only would they never be able to track down everyone doing this, but it's just going to discourage the use of multiple sources, and the reporting of sources, both of which are things you should be trying to encourage.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Nah I don't see this passing though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

16 hours ago, LAwLz said:

To me, this actually makes sense.

Not sure if I will be happy with how it will end up being implemented (lots of room to screw it up), but there are a lot of big websites that mostly just repost articles from proper websites, and it is very harmful to the industry.

Imagine hiring reports to write well formulated articles, and then some website just rewords what you wrote and push it to their readers. There are lots of massive websites which only base their content on other publications' work, and if that keeps going on then the industry will collapse for everyone. The real sources will have to make cuts because they don't make enough money, and the websites reposting content will suffer too.

This tax would practically kill LTT TNR section for Europeans users.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Eu lawmakers these days

image.png.850bb1a85e21d2ed9ab036247742e3dd.png

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch