UPDATE 2: iOS 11.3.1 FIXES The iPhone 8 If You've Replaced The Screen

iamdarkyoshi
Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep this conversation civil and respectful.

Blanket accusations and insults will not be tolerated.

On 4/10/2018 at 11:49 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

UPDATE: OEM screens are behaving the same way if installed by a 3rd party as well!

Source

So even if you can get a genuine one, it'll still brick if you or a 3rd party install it.

That's awful. I'm suspicious that they went out of their way to cause this as well, and if I'm right that's just plain sad.

4 hours ago, Okjoek said:

That's awful. I'm suspicious that they went out of their way to cause this as well, and if I'm right that's just plain sad.

I've got to ask, how is it even possible that an OS update can tell who put the screen in?  I get that it might detect a 3rd party screen if it's values vary too much (low quality), but detecting a genuine screen means that there must be a process that apple techs do that tells the OS it was replaced by an official tech. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

I've got to ask, how is it even possible that an OS update can tell who put the screen in?  I get that it might detect a 3rd party screen if it's values vary too much (low quality), but detecting a genuine screen means that there must be a process that apple techs do that tells the OS it was replaced by an official tech. 

Overlords write their own id hash on a display, which varies from device to device, so unless you have apple magic machine to read your device id and generate a hash for display - go fuck yourself.

I wonder, is it against the law to buy a couple billboards near apples most busy vendor locations with "go fuck yourself" instead of "think different":dry: could even start a indiegogo for that, to cover more locations

5 minutes ago, hobobobo said:

Overlords write their own id hash on a display, which varies from device to device, so unless you have apple magic machine to read your device id and generate a hash for display - go fuck yourself.

I wonder, is it against the law to buy a couple billboards near apples most busy vendor locations with "go fuck yourself" instead of "think different":dry: could even start a indiegogo for that, to cover more locations

So it looks like there is no real way this was accidental or an unintentional consequence of the update then?  Because to me it looks very intentional (especially given the latest round of memos regarding the release of private information from apple), I just don't want to outright claim it without further information regarding the technology.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

Each part of an apple device has a unique ID assigned to it, and when apple puts the phone together, their custom controllers are programmed to know that the IDs connected are the original ones before they leave the factory. When apple services it, they update the IDs in that controller. 

Guess who else has the ability to program that chip? Nobody!

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

So it looks like there is no real way this was accidental or an unintentional consequence of the update then?  Because to me it looks very intentional (especially given the latest round of memos regarding the release of private information from apple), I just don't want to outright claim it without further information regarding the technology.

There is no accidents with a company the size of Apple. People might like to give them benefit of the doubt where there can be none. They verify all the software they make more rigorously then us watches their nukes. The fellas have so many testing teams that it would be pure and utter incompetence if this indeed was accidental

6 minutes ago, hobobobo said:

There is no accidents with a company the size of Apple. People might like to give them benefit of the doubt where there can be none. They verify all the software they make more rigorously then us watches their nukes. The fellas have so many testing teams that it would be pure and utter incompetence if this indeed was accidental

Then again, considering the sheer number of bugs they've had recently, I'm not so sure this is true.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

14 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Each part of an apple device has a unique ID assigned to it, and when apple puts the phone together, their custom controllers are programmed to know that the IDs connected are the original ones before they leave the factory. When apple services it, they update the IDs in that controller. 

Guess who else has the ability to program that chip? Nobody!

That's what I was thinking too.

Assign each part a unique ID.

Store that ID somewhere, and only let their certified service centers write to that part.

During the update, if it detects a mismatch between the screen's ID and the one stored in the phone, brick the device as punishment.

It sounds so incredibly evil that I don't really want to assume that's what is happening, but I can't think of any other logical reasoning for it.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Then again, considering the sheer number of bugs they've had recently, I'm not so sure this is true.

Keyword is recently. I see 3 options:

1. Apple is skimping more and more on QA while knowing of the bugs and i see this a corp malice

2. Bugs are so exotic they cant catch them on verification stage, which is bullshit and incompetence

3. They hace a schedule for new features and updates and they are behind so they let the bugs slip, which is also incompetence in case of a trillion dollar corp.

Apple is not your neighborhood grandma waffle store, if they fuck up - there is no excuse, NONE. They dont deserve their market position if you think excuses can be found

Just now, hobobobo said:

Keyword is recently. I see 3 options:

1. Apple is skimping more and more on QA while knowing of the bugs and i see this a corp malice

2. Bugs are so exotic they cant catch them on verification stage, which is bullshit and incompetence

3. They hace a schedule for new features and updates and they are behind so they let the bugs slip, which is also incompetence in case of a trillion dollar corp.

Apple is not your neighborhood grandma waffle store, if they fuck up - there is no excuse, NONE. They dont deserve their market position if you think excuses can be found

I'm just saying they've made so many mistakes recently it's not out of the question to imagine this could also have been a mistake.  Now, whether you think it's reasonable for them to make mistakes like that or not is another story.  I also think it's unreasonable, but at the same time, even very large companies do tend to have a slip up here or there.  Perhaps not anywhere near as much as they have recently, but sometimes.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Store that ID somewhere, and only let their certified service centers write to that part.

During the update, if it detects a mismatch between the screen's ID and the one stored in the phone, brick the device as punishment.

It sounds so incredibly evil that I don't really want to assume that's what is happening, but I can't think of any other logical reasoning for it.

I thought it was well known that they do this.  At least, I had that in my head from somewhere... idk anymore

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm just saying they've made so many mistakes recently it's not out of the question to imagine this could also have been a mistake.  Now, whether you think it's reasonable for them to make mistakes like that or not is another story.  I also think it's unreasonable, but at the same time, even very large companies do tend to have a slip up here or there.  Perhaps not anywhere near as much as they have recently, but sometimes.

i agree they could have slip up, my point - in their case there is no slip ups, accidents etc, its all called incompetence. You cant be trillion dollar market leader and let those things happen. Especially with the history of being able to prevent those bugs and slipup so well. Its either incompetence, which is giving apple some leeway, or straight up malice, as in cutting back qa or just not caring

40 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Car manufacturers are doing the same thing without bricking, the new part just wont work at all. Or in some casesoutright prevent the engine from starting/only allows a limited mode and instructs you to go to an authorized service.

Edited by jagdtigger

• 2 weeks later...

This issue has been addressed in iOS 11.3.1 and has been removed

You can now use 3rd party displays with your iPhone. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On 4/10/2018 at 8:49 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

UPDATE: OEM screens are behaving the same way if installed by a 3rd party as well!

Has been patched with 11.3.1 and was a bug

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Has been patched with 11.3.1 and was a bug

Yeah sure it was.  9_9

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Yeah sure it was.  9_9

I don't have any problem believing that it was. The backlash really wasn't that severe -- certainly not severe enough to stop them from doing it if it was intentional.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

Yeah right, they backtracked on purposely bricking phones.

Apple: It's a feature bug.

Gonna have to agree with @djdwosk97. There was no real backlash from the community. If it was an intentional move they could have left it. 

Still cant please the internet though when it concerns Apple I guess. 

7 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I don't have any problem believing that it was. The backlash really wasn't that severe -- certainly not severe enough to stop them from doing it if it was intentional.

Bricked iphones with updates is common, but this was a little too specific and more common than usual.   And coming right after their failure to properly advise of the battery thing,  one is more likely left to surmise a more nefarious reason for it's existence.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Bricked iphones with updates is common, but this was a little too specific and more common than usual.   And coming right after their failure to properly advise of the battery thing,  one is more likely left to surmise a more nefarious reason for it's existence.

But what incentive was there to undo it then? The backlash was virtually non-existent and was pretty much completely gone after a day or two.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

But what incentive was there to undo it then? The backlash was virtually non-existent and was pretty much completely gone after a day or two.

Well, it's all just speculation, however with right to repair laws being a hot topic and gaining legal traction it is just as likely their lawyers said stop it.  Public outcries are just as likely to die in a puff of smoke as they are to cause any change at a corporate level. 

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

To paraphrase the saying, though: never attribute to conspiracy what can be explained by incompetence.

The most likely answer is the boring one: Apple inadvertently created a problem it never would have noticed because, of course, all its test phones are using certified parts.  You'd have to have evidence this was intentional, and I don't think its intention was to punish well-meaning users who just wanted their iPhones fixed.

2 minutes ago, Commodus said:

To paraphrase the saying, though: never attribute to conspiracy what can be explained by incompetence.

The most likely answer is the boring one: Apple inadvertently created a problem it never would have noticed because, of course, all its test phones are using certified parts.  You'd have to have evidence this was intentional, and I don't think its intention was to punish well-meaning users who just wanted their iPhones fixed.

It bricked phones with certified parts too.    I can accept a bug would brick an iphone, it happens with every update, however what was suddenly different that the phone needed to reconcile part identifiers to an internal register?  And why even have that register?  This is the question I asked earlier and theresponses had nothing to do with failed repairs.  If it did then you're incompetence explanation is more accurate, because it would appear apple were trying to resolve a repair issues but not testing on repaired phones.

12 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Well, it's all just speculation, however with right to repair laws being a hot topic and gaining legal traction it is just as likely their lawyers said stop it.  Public outcries are just as likely to die in a puff of smoke as they are to cause any change at a corporate level. 

But as a whole Apple doesn't really give a shit about the right-to-repair bills and has been actively fighting to stop them. It doesn't strike me that this is where they would choose to give in.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler