UPDATE 2: iOS 11.3.1 FIXES The iPhone 8 If You've Replaced The Screen

iamdarkyoshi
Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep this conversation civil and respectful.

Blanket accusations and insults will not be tolerated.

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

They might just add an X in there to make it proprietary for any X iteration of their devices. Cant have X devices use pesky non-X ram. What kinda peasant would do that!

Reminds me of display resolutions from the 80's-90's 

VGA

S( super ) VGA

WSVGA

XGA

XGA+

WXGA

SXGA

HD

WSXGA+

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

@Alex Colson i hide out in wierd convo and borderline fanboyism threads. You can cook food in flame wars, as long as you bring matches instead of torches. That food is good food and often the best discussions. Also i see you name and i think its gonna be worth responding to for some reason. Do you Hide out Apple Threads? We need another Apple thread, known as the "Apple Thread X"

5 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Reminds me of display resolutions from the 80's-90's 

VGA

S( super ) VGA

WSVGA

XGA

XGA+

WXGA

SXGA

HD

WSXGA+

Good thing i wasnt around back then. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

@Alex Colson i hide out in wierd convo and borderline fanboyism threads. You can cook food in flame wars, as long as you bring matches instead of torches. That food is good food and often the best discussions. Also i see you name and i think its gonna be worth responding to for some reason. Do you Hide out Apple Threads? We need another Apple thread, known as the "Apple Thread X"

Nope just come on from time to time, usually hide out in the Tech threads and wait for something to catch my eye. 

Secondly the issues with the IPhone 8 most likely was a mistake made by a developer (Really wish it isn't so it can be flamed but meh)

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

3 minutes ago, Alex Colson said:

Nope just come on from time to time, usually hide out in the Tech threads and wait for something to catch my eye. 

Secondly the issues with the IPhone 8 most likely was a mistake made by a developer (Really wish it isn't so it can be flamed but meh)

Even if Apple did it entirely on purpose it wouldnt affect their main demographics much.  I really hope Apple hits a brick wall soon, especially in Apple esque countries like Norway. Just so many Iphones but so few chargers. If only they used USB C

Edit: i want them to hit a wall so they make something interesting and good. The Iphone X was a step in the right direction, they just kinda stumbled a bit too hard.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Even if Apple did it entirely on purpose it wouldnt affect their main demographics much. Sadly. I really hope Apple hits a brick wall soon, especially in Apple esque countries like Norway. Just so many Iphones but so few chargers. If only they used USB C

Don't start me on a rant please too early for my head to hurt.....

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

As of the time of this comment there is no indication that something wrong has been done. 

The internet just likes to jump on things when they don't know the whole story. I'm just reserving judgment until we know anything real. 

Except, we're talking about premium priced devices that are being bricked arbitrarily after being repaired, only because Apple themselves refuse to fix them or even make legitimate replacements readily available. Imagine if this was a car and Ferrari refused to repair your 6 month old F12, then remotely broke the engine if you installed third party headlights because original headlights were not available for purchase.

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

As of the time of this comment there is no indication that something wrong has been done. 

Nobody else does this. Apple is the only company with this level of spite for their own customers. I have never heard of samsung, huawei, asus, oneplus, htc or anyone else pushing an update that bricked devices because of a third party screen.

edit-

also this... what they're doing is literally illegal.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Alex Colson said:

Don't start me on a rant please too early for my head to hurt.....

im in the middle of class while they struggle to make the projector to work with the pc`s or the macs. Rants can be interesting if you are inn the mood.

@GoldenLag I can give you a list of topics  I can easily rant about but ain't because cba. Destiny2, Apple, The Division, Anthem, Battlefront, Battlefield, Mobile Games, PUBG, Fornite... ugh and shit load of others if I could be bothered to remember them....

I genuinely my create a thread just so I can Rant....

20 minutes ago, Alex Colson said:

@Valentyn Dear god don't remind me of that.......*traumatic flash back with tones of Cables* Nope *shivers*

You're telling me you don't still have a Cable box? Where all extra and discarded cables go.:P

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Just now, Valentyn said:

You're telling me you don't still have a Cable box? Where all extra and discarded cables go.:P

Called my bottom desk drawer, shelves and boxes oh and don't forget the cupboard 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

@Alex Colson Where would you put a rant Thread? i genuine question......... im a relativly new user

Umm most likely Off-Topic or just post them as Status updates. Like weekly Colson ranks every Friday when I have the time to write them out and shit.

1 minute ago, Alex Colson said:

Called my bottom desk drawer, shelves and boxes oh and don't forget the cupboard 

use all of those and still there are cables lying in corners that ignore exist.

Umm most likely Off-Topic or just post them as Status updates. Like weekly Colson ranks every Friday when I have the time to write them out and shit.

You could make a religio...*cough i mean a social media profile out of this

@GoldenLag I am not making a Cult out of my rants..... That would be the worst idea ever. And don't get me started on Religion.....

@GoldenLag I am not making a Cult out of my rants..... That would be the worst idea ever. And don't get me started on Religion.....

my favorite religion is Jedi-ism. Its in the top 10 religious groups in Britain. Dont even get me started on Britain and their shenanigans

@iamdarkyoshi sorry for kinda taking over your thread with useless crap, Feel free to contact a Mod to get the non relevant crap cleared. Sorry!

@GoldenLag i'll pm ya

Apple doing Apple things. All is right in the world.

Apple is becoming like Nvidia now lol, once upon a time they had good firmware updates come pared to the competition, now their shit is bricking or causing controversy. Soon people aren't gonna bother with updates if this keep happening.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Soooo I was going through other Tech news threads and found the one to do with the "Warranty Void if removed" Sticker on to be illegal and noticed a comment made by apple stating this 

Apple, meanwhile, routinely tells customers not to use third party repair companies, and aftermarket parts regularly break iPhones due to software updates.

Which was Published yesterday at 12:30pm by Matthew Gault

Now I still gonna give them the benefit of the doubt but seeing this said by apple and then a few hours later peoples IPhone 8's are being bricked because of a SOFTWARE update kinda looks odd now. On top of that if they know this would happen with people using 3rd party repairs why not have a warning before installation of these updates. 

So I kinda sway more to them doing this on purpose which is a dick move. Like it's not hard to have it display a warning saying

"if this device has received any 3rd party Repairs it may not work properly after update, are you sure you want to continue?"

All of this is due to the displays being not made by apple, right? Does Apple sell replacement screens to repairshops, or do they sel repair anything to anyone or is it all just third party? it would be less of a scandal if they actually provided screens if shops wanted to do the replacements themselves. 

A similar article, with details on the "Right to Repair" perspective. In case anyone cares...
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/bjv9jz/apple-ios-11-repair-screens-software-update

Also, according to this article:
https://hothardware.com/news/apple-ios-113-update-brick-iphone-8-devices-third-party-display-repairs

It's due to a micro-controller that is now required to register the touch-screen. Apple Certified screens are now the only ones that work (as of the newest update), so it's practically Apple enforcing their EULA through software-bricking. Did I get anything wrong so far? Definitely anti-consumer. Not illegal, though it's still a d**k-move

Edited by TopHatProductions115
moar info.

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

People, remember that "this is legal" is not an excuse for bad behavior.

So even if what Apple does turns out to be legal, people can still criticize them for it.

It's a bit too soon to get out the pitch forks though. If it was done intentionally then it's a dick move, and quite frankly in line with what I'd expect from Apple. However, it is possible that it was not intentional. All we know is that the software update changed something which causes issues with third party replacement screens. Whether or not it is intentional, and how Apple responds will determine if they are being cunts or not.

It's not even legal, there's literally an ongoing thread in TN&R right now about how the FTC are warning tech companies that voiding warranties on devices that have been unofficially serviced is illegal under US federal law.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

35 minutes ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

A similar article, with details on the "Right to Repair" perspective. In case anyone cares...
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/bjv9jz/apple-ios-11-repair-screens-software-update

Also, according to this article:
https://hothardware.com/news/apple-ios-113-update-brick-iphone-8-devices-third-party-display-repairs

It's due to a micro-controller that is now required to register the touch-screen. Apple Certified screens are now the only ones that work (as of the newest update), so it's practically Apple enforcing their EULA through software-bricking. Did I get anything wrong so far? Definitely anti-consumer. Not illegal, though it's still a d**k-move

The FTC disagree, it is illegal to void a warranty for any device that's been unofficially repaired under US federal law.

I'm going to keep repeating this until people start to grasp it, what Apple are doing is illegal.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

The fact that they literally explained oh hey ya that OS fucked your phone for having 3rd party parts so ya. Either get our parts of get bricked. 

The issue is they are being very anti-Consumer with the fact they don't care about people getting third party parts they want it to be only their parts bought and replaced. I Can understand that in the fact that if the phone gets returned to apple for their recycling process then those screens may not be able to be 100% reused. 

But by the looks of it they went out of their way to make this happen and it wasn't just a fault. This is known due to that paragraph in the fix for it. Due to repairs being done with NON-genuine apple parts. If this was an accident they could have stated 

"Addresses the issue where 3rd party Repairs became unresponsive due to new security improvement."

One hand it make it look like the issue was not intentional and on the other hand it quietly sways people to buy the genuine parts to prevent this from happening again/ ensure they are more secure. 

Yet they give a huge arrow pointing at themselves saying "We want your money, you don't get replacement parts from us or certified repair shops then you phone gets bricked" This is a real mafia type approach to getting money, 

Waaaa? you want protection from others? well lets see them protect you from US! 

like I can't be the only one that see's it like that can I?

9 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

This is isolated to the iPhone 8 line of iPhones. 

These knockoff displays have a chip attached to them that do not have the proper firmware on them or iOS cannot interface with the fake display on the firmware level for some reason. 

And from where I see it, why should a company be obligated to make sure that their products work with knock off parts? Even if Apple is intentionally bricking the display, are they outside of their rights to do so? 

These displays were working FINE until apple bricked them with a software update... So what if they were going to break on their own later on? Then they can just replace the screen then... Instead, they have to replace it now. 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb