UPDATE 2: iOS 11.3.1 FIXES The iPhone 8 If You've Replaced The Screen

iamdarkyoshi
Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep this conversation civil and respectful.

Blanket accusations and insults will not be tolerated.

Lmao more apple conspiracies. More circle jerk. 

Did they end up reversing/fixing the touch id replacement error?

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

You asked an (in my opinion) outrageous question of whether Apple was within their rights to intentionally brick iPhones that have been repaired by a 3rd party.

Then you did not interpret my comment correctly. I am not asking for opinion, I'm asking from a legal perspective. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Then you did not interpret my comment correctly. I am not asking for opinion, I'm asking from a legal perspective. 

Well, since none of us (to the best of my knowledge) are lawyers, opinions are all you're likely to get.

Apparently Apple does have teams dedicated to finding fake parts to see how they copied their OEM designs. Essentially reverse engineering them and seeing how they can make their parts harder to copy. (Well within their rights. Its their IP)

It is possible that this is a result of those teams and Apple finding a firmware solution to a hardware problem (people copying their IP). If this is the case then yeah it's a dick move. 

It is also possible that this was not intentional. We won't know until there is an official statement or Apple is compelled to do something by some entity. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Apparently Apple does have teams dedicated to finding fake parts to see how they copied their OEM designs. Essentially reverse engineering them and seeing how they can make their parts harder to copy. (well within their rights. Its their IP)

It is possible that this is a result of those teams and Apple finding a firmware solution to a hardware problem (people copying their IP). If this is the case then yeah it's a dick move. 

It is also possible that this was not intentional. We won't know until there is an official statement or Apple is compelled to do something by some entity. 

The only way I can see apple making this right is to make another update that re-enables the 3rd party screens, and offer to put it on the phone, for free, right there in the apple store, since the end user can't exactly update the phone in its current state.

4 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

The only way I can see apple making this right is to make another update that re-enables the 3rd party screens, and offer to put it on the phone, for free, right there in the apple store, since the end user can't exactly update the phone in its current state.

If they even feel obligated to do so. Not sure if they will or not. 

Apple only slightly backtracked on the error 54 thing. They still disabled TouchID on replacement home buttons. 

Aren't Apple's displays made by Samsung?

Re-watched the vid and this go around he did seem to be a lot more rational than when I listened to him the first time. 

He touched on what myself and some others have said. They are in within their rights to do these things, he just wants people to be informed that Apple is the kind of company that does this so you know where your money is going. 

29 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Aren't Apple's displays made by Samsung?

Designed by Apple, manufactured by Samsung. 

Apple gives them a order to fulfill and Samsung does it. 

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yes. What does the EULA say about it? If it says they can then they can. 

EULA's can and sometimes include illegal terms that will not hold up in court. It's called "abusing the consumer".

Facebook had 8 abusive clauses in their contract in Germany, and recently a german court outlawed all of them. It happens very, very often. So no, EULA's are not meant to be respected 100%.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

EULA's are not 100% binding.  They're an agreement, not a contract.  And as @Ryan_Vickers already pointed out, that's a very anti-consumer mindset.

Same.

Nah, Apple 20000000% bricking the devices on purpose just so you take their overpriced "apple care" and then are still forced to pay 5 times the price of the screen, just as their battery.

This is worse than planned obsolescence. Let's limit your battery, just so you have to buy a new one. Oh, you broke your screen and didn't shell out 300 euros for a new one from us? Bricked, mate! next time pay 400 euros extra on apple shitcare! you remember that 600e device? well now it's 1000 with extra warranty, plus the 500 needed for official accessories and replacements for issues over the next 3 years.

What's next? let's brick all old devices? can you even buy official parts for stuff for phones from 4 or 5 years ago? (probably not)

Is this down to the Touch ID? That’s built directly into the display as the iPhone 8 does haven’t a physical home button.

Sounds like the firmware for working with it and security checks are refusing to accept the knock off display that doesn’t have signed firmware. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Assuming they bother to reply at all, I give it a 90% chance this is what they say

Well they’d be within their rights anyway. Can’t force a company to repair something that was serviced by non-trained & certified staff: then expect it to still be held under warranty; and expecting it to work just like factory new. 

Even a GPU or motherboard company would wash their hands clean if you took your €800 motherboard to a corner PC repair shop; and the knock off parts aren’t driver signed and won’t work with it.

Wasnt there just a whole huge kerfuffle about Asmedia chipsets allowing massive exploits if nasty firmware was used.

Sounds to me the built in Touch ID on these knock off panels are failing the signed hardware and firmware check; and phone is refusing to enable them.

Im sure if there enough of these cases Apple would likely bring out a fix that can be applied via update and recovery mode; still a shitty situation in the end. Specially for someone that saved a few bucks and now this happened to their phone.

If someone doesn’t want Apple care; why not phone insurance with their provider; covers all this. 

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

Well they’d be within their rights anyway. Can’t force a company to repair something that was serviced by non-trained & certified staff: then expect it to still be held under warranty; and expecting it to work just like factory new. 

No one's suggesting they should be expected to honour a warranty after it's been repaired improperly, that's not at all what this is about.  It's just about devices that were repaired, presumably properly (but to be fair we don't know for sure) suddenly going from working to not working after a software update.

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

Sounds to me the built in Touch ID on these knock off panels are failing the signed hardware and firmware check; and phone is refusing to enable them.

Perhaps.  Again, if it turns out the hardware was invalid or something like that, then you can't really blame Apple here at all, but at this point I find it suspicious that they were working and a software patch broke them.  Suggests the hardware was just fine to me.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

This is isolated to the iPhone 8 line of iPhones. 

These knockoff displays have a chip attached to them that do not have the proper firmware on them or iOS cannot interface with the fake display on the firmware level for some reason. 

And from where I see it, why should a company be obligated to make sure that their products work with knock off parts? Even if Apple is intentionally bricking the display, are they outside of their rights to do so? 

Because not doing so is illegal...

As we’ve reported before, it is bullshit and illegal under federal law for electronics manufacturers to put “Warranty Void if Removed” stickers on their gadgets, and it’s also illegal for companies to void your warranty if you fix your device yourself or via a third party.

BTW third party and knock off are not the same thing.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

No one's suggesting they should be expected to honour a warranty after it's been repaired improperly, that's not at all what this is about.  It's just about devices that were repaired, presumably properly (but to be fair we don't know for sure) suddenly going from working to not working after a software update.

Perhaps.  Again, if it turns out the hardware was invalid or something like that, then you can't really blame Apple here at all, but at this point I find it suspicious that they were working and a software patch broke them.  Suggests the hardware was just fine to me.

Unless the software patch aka iOS Update included a bunch of security improvements and updates for firmware.

I know the latest iOS 11.3 had a bunch of new updates; and even beta firmware and software for batteries. 

With how iOS is though; I doubt we’ll get a full breakdown unless Apple speak about it. 

Thing is Looking through the Notes of the iOS 11.3  A LOT of the security Improvements have to do with validation of applications and other shit, So in all fairness this could have happened due to trying to improve security and the Verification codes from the 3rd party Screen could have just got thrown under the disable pile due to not being recognised.

In my opinion if that was the cause it could have been avoided by seeing what 3rd party screens are being used out their (As said they have a design team reverse engineering the screens to see how they work) Shouldn't be too hard for them to add those screen that hold up to apples level of quality be added to the approval list even if it is 3rd party. 

If this was done Intentionally then, F U Apple, it has always been an issue with me on how Apple has treated their consumers and it seem like it still remains, Secondly before people try to call me out for being an Android Fanboy, I really don't care I will give Apple the benefit of the doubt as stated above could have just happened without noticing but at the same time I am gonna have my personal opinion on Apple which has always been they care more about their money income than their consumers. 

Kinda contradicts what he said the Facebooks CEO that if you don't pay then the developers won't care about you? Well a LOT of people paid for those products to work and if something isn't done to amend the mistake or Fuckup then he has Contradicted that statement as he doesn't care about his consumers since he is getting their money anyway.

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

People, remember that "this is legal" is not an excuse for bad behavior.

So even if what Apple does turns out to be legal, people can still criticize them for it.

It's a bit too soon to get out the pitch forks though. If it was done intentionally then it's a dick move, and quite frankly in line with what I'd expect from Apple. However, it is possible that it was not intentional. All we know is that the software update changed something which causes issues with third party replacement screens. Whether or not it is intentional, and how Apple responds will determine if they are being cunts or not.

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

As of the time of this comment there is no indication that something wrong has been done. 

The internet just likes to jump on things when they don't know the whole story. I'm just reserving judgment until we know anything real. 

They did the same thing before with bricking phones which had a replacement fingerprint scanner with Error 53. They had to backtrack on that decision and unbrick the devices (the ability to do so shows there wasn't an incompatibility to begin with) and only disabled the fingerprint sensor to protect the Secure Enclave.

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

This is isolated to the iPhone 8 line of iPhones. 

These knockoff displays have a chip attached to them that do not have the proper firmware on them or iOS cannot interface with the fake display on the firmware level for some reason. 

And from where I see it, why should a company be obligated to make sure that their products work with knock off parts? Even if Apple is intentionally bricking the display, are they outside of their rights to do so? 

The iPhone 8 has been sold millions of times, has been dropped hundreds of thousands of times and probably will have had the screen replaced with a third party product ten thousands of times (estimates). This affects a large number of consumers.

The displays previously worked - what has changed so greatly that they now can no longer function?

They are within their rights to drop the warranty for that product however they should not be in the right to prescribe what components are allowed to be used. Following this logic Apple should be able to brick Macs which have non Apple approved RAM or SSDs, are using non Apple batteries even though the amount of proprietary technology that can be found in a battery is rather limited.

The best comparison would be the early x86 clones by AMD where AMD reverse engineered the chips produced by Intel. No software company would have been in the right to deny usage of their software on these knockoff chips unless used in a safety critical environment e.g. a  plane.

@LAwLz

you need to also remember this is mainly done with IPhone 8 which would imply that is was more of an accident rather than a dick move (really hope it's the latter one) So it could be some type of firmware/ software conflict between the iOS and the Screens firmware chip.

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

Rest in peace Strange parts. I guess we wont see a Iphone 8 Revision or an iphone X revision of the strange parts phone. Still Surprises me that Apple did this. If the hardware was working then it is an non-issue. if the hardware broke, you wouldnt blame apple for it due to it being a replacement done by a third part or yourself. I can sort of see why they did this, or how it could have been a mistake (say they forgot to add 3rd part screen id to the phone). Let`s hope they resolve this, or Apple just lost another type of customer. 

EDIT: That customer is Linus. Drops everything and repair it himself

7 minutes ago, Alex Colson said:

@LAwLz

you need to also remember this is mainly done with IPhone 8 which would imply that is was more of an accident rather than a dick move (really hope it's the latter one) So it could be some type of firmware/ software conflict between the iOS and the Screens firmware chip.

Ther might be ID linked to each component of the phone to avoid malicious components to be saughtered to the phone. This might have been a non-issue before due to the screen not having the ID, but due to a security update they now have. There may have been exploits using a malicious screen or others sorts of components. Then again, it could just be them being Apple. wouldnt at all surprise me if they start making apple memory chips; they are identical to ddr4, but have an extra two pins for some reason and is called Super Retina AI DDR4 memory 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Super Retina AI DDR4 memory 

Super as in Super for them to get more money for now advancement in parts.

4 minutes ago, Alex Colson said:

Super as in Super for them to get more money for now advancement in parts.

They might just add an X in there to make it proprietary for any X iteration of their devices. Cant have X devices use pesky non-X ram. What kinda peasant would do that!

@GoldenLag Anytime I get into a convo with you its over an apple thread? Is this where you hid out?

And nah the X would only work on the IPhone X. you would need to get the generation type ram for it to work. 

Hey it appears you have an IPhone 7S but are using X Super Retina AI Ram. which is incompatible please source our 7S Super Retina AI Ram to continue using your phone.