Mozilla Reality

Jtalk4456
1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

oh wow, like Ready Player One for websites?! O_O

Kind of. It's just very primitive right now.

I hate reading any sort of text in VR with the current resolution (Oculus Rift).

I can't find myself to be using this. I will definitely give it a try though.

3 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Standalone has advantages. One thing is a lower all-in price, another is higher performance out of the same SOC (not having to run a full phone OS + bloat, better clocks via better cooling). The biggest thing is probably that it's more convenient and comfortable when you aren't having to spend time plugging your phone into the headset, with a compromised physical design due to that modularity. Better sound quality is also possible.

TCO I can understand since you're dealing with an integrated system that doesn't need things like a cellular modem and all the patents that entails.

Higher performance though? I mean I get where you're coming from in theory but the Lenovo Mirage and HTC Vive Focus are both running Android just like their Daydream phone siblings, with the phones *seriously*, throttling any background tasks during VR and preventing other apps from rendering in the background, unless they're your registered VR helper app.

You might be looking at a slight performance difference on the CPU side, but nothing substantial.

And isn't the Oculus Go also Android powered? I haven't read up on it too too much, but I thought I read something about compatibility with GearVR apps.

And Daydream doesn't plug into the headset. Everything's handled on the device and via a Bluetooth controller. It's literally just drop your phone in and play, I can't imagine dropping another $500 on a standalone headset making that any more convenient.

3 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

in terms of the engine or it looks like quake 1?

Both looks, functionality and stability.

2 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

TCO I can understand since you're dealing with an integrated system that doesn't need things like a cellular modem and all the patents that entails.

Higher performance though? I mean I get where you're coming from in theory but the Lenovo Mirage and HTC Vive Focus are both running Android just like their Daydream phone siblings, with the phones *seriously*, throttling any background tasks during VR and preventing other apps from rendering in the background, unless they're your registered VR helper app.

You might be looking at a slight performance difference on the CPU side, but nothing substantial.

And isn't the Oculus Go also Android powered? I haven't read up on it too too much, but I thought I read something about compatibility with GearVR apps.

And Daydream doesn't plug into the headset. Everything's handled on the device and via a Bluetooth controller. It's literally just drop your phone in and play, I can't imagine dropping another $500 on a standalone headset making that any more convenient.

Standalone headsets can offer better performance for a few reasons - stripped down OS, less stuff running in the background, and higher SoC clocks from better cooling. It is quite substantial at the end of the day, but of course it doesn't make a mobile SoC real competition for PC or consoles.

Google Daydream is still a compromised design. When you make a standalone VR headset, there are a lot of things you can build differently from when you have a phone that has to work on its own but can also fit into a VR headset. It also means you have to spend time getting your headset ready by plopping your phone into it; standalone is just ready right away, which reduces that threshold of getting into VR. Oculus Go is $200 BTW, not $500.

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

Both looks, functionality and stability.

Standalone headsets can offer better performance for a few reasons - stripped down OS, less stuff running in the background, and higher SoC clocks from better cooling. It is quite substantial at the end of the day, but of course it doesn't make a mobile SoC real competition for PC or consoles.

Google Daydream is still a compromised design. When you make a standalone VR headset, there are a lot of things you can build differently from when you have a phone that has to work on its own but can also fit into a VR headset. It also means you have to spend time getting your headset ready by plopping your phone into it; standalone is just ready right away, which reduces that threshold of getting into VR. Oculus Go is $200 BTW, not $500.

Oculus Go is $250 up here. And is also garbage... LCD screens in a VR headset... >.> *shivers at the thought*

18 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

This is targeting "Standalone VR and AR" like the Oculus Go, the HTC Vive Focus, and the Qualcomm/ODG AR glasses, as well as Google Daydream in the future (Vive Focus US launch and Lenovo Mirage). These kinds of devices don't have the performance to be huge gaming monsters like the Rift and Vive.

These devices are oriented towards media consumption which is also a perfect target for WebVR. Imagine being able to go to Ikea and instead of seeing a picture of a chair, you can see a 3D model in VR space. Imagine being able to go to a museum website and get a 3D view of exhibits. These are the kinds of interactions WebVR is oriented towards, not gameplay.

I'm glad someone didn't take my ikea comment as a joke xD I mean it was a joke covering for a certain other media type, but ikea will be real too

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.