Apple now powered by 100% renewable energy

Go to solution Solved by Commodus,

It's funny to see people getting angry because Apple is using credits and offsets.  Yeah, you could argue that it's the corporate equivalent of a clickbait headline, but that's still more than many companies do.  What's the eco track record for your custom gaming rig? (And that's not meant to dunk on your rig, just to make you think about the companies involved in it.)

I'm reminded more than a little of the people who swore they'd never use Apple gear because it was made by people working in rough conditions, only to buy a Windows PC made in identical conditions, an Xbox made in identical conditions, an Android phone made in identical conditions... it's less about actual concern and more about perpetuating platform wars.

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

In another thread yesterday I used the example of a car manufacturer claiming their latest diesel can do 90mpg, sure it can on a rolling road in a lab with no other variables at all but out in the real world you're doing good to hit 60.

Metric please I didn't understand any of that

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

If you lived in a metric country you'll know no one uses kpl, we use L/100km

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 minutes ago, NMS said:

Shhhh. The Americans can't handle our oversimplified measurment systems.

Fahrenheit is better because it’s more accurate! It’s got more steps! 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, JDE said:

If you lived in a metric country you'll know no one uses kpl, we use L/100km

I live in Italy, but I know basic math. kpl is the closest metric equivalent to mpg and you can convert it to L/100km by plugging 100/[kpl] in any calculator. The metric system is designed to simplify this sort of conversion, maybe you should learn how to use it.

3 minutes ago, NMS said:

Shhhh. The Americans can't handle the our oversimplified measurment systems.

Yeah, it's not like we're arguing over being too lazy to convert one metric unit to another...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

I live in Italy, but I know basic math. kpl is the closest metric equivalent to mpg and you can convert it to L/100km by plugging 100/[kpl] in any calculator. The metric system is designed to simplify this sort of conversion, maybe you should learn how to use it.

Nah I'm just lazy, I know how to use it lol

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

I think we went off topic here, let me help you out with that.

Screw Apple, but cudos to them for finally doing something right!

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Apple might be pumping more renewable energy back into the grid than they use, sure.

Meanwhile, as already pointed out they continue to pollute the planet through waste by forced obsolescence and hyped consumerism, they continue to employ child labour or labour that has poor living standards in third world nations and something that no one has mentioned yet is the environmental impact the mining of chemicals used in the manufacturing of batteries has on the planet.

Mining Lithium, Nickel, Lead & Cobolt is SUPER bad for the miners and the planet, not only do the processes release some really gnarly chemicals into the environment but the toxic nature of the elements means the miners very often get sick and die very young.

This is a publicity stunt, nothing more. I guarantee if Apples environmental ethics were put under any form of actual scrutiny they'd collapse, fast & hard.

I've always found it a bit of an odd criticism when people say "they're guilty of exploiting child labour and polluting the environment" of Apple and Apple alone. In isolation it's true yes, but you're ignoring the fact that Apple's competitors are pretty much all comparably guilty, some likely even more so. If you're going to criticise any one of them you should criticise them all in relation to their respective levels of guilt.

It's also a bit odd to criticise Apple of all companies for engaging in "forced obsolescence". By and large their post-launch software and hardware support is considerably better than average; the now 5 and a half year old iPhone 5S still runs the newest version of iOS 11 and now that the early issues with it have been dealt with most users still seem satisfied with how the phone performs. They even continue to offer hardware repair options for devices all the way back to the iPhone 4S - can you say the same of Samsung, LG or any of the other big name competitors?

Apple are an imperfect company with an arrogance problem they need to work on. Their software development side has been deteriorating for a good few years now and their internal development culture is reputed to be phenomenally toxic. They definitely need to improve in many ways... but product lifespans and post-launch support aren't amongst them.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

It's funny to see people getting angry because Apple is using credits and offsets.  Yeah, you could argue that it's the corporate equivalent of a clickbait headline, but that's still more than many companies do.  What's the eco track record for your custom gaming rig? (And that's not meant to dunk on your rig, just to make you think about the companies involved in it.)

I'm reminded more than a little of the people who swore they'd never use Apple gear because it was made by people working in rough conditions, only to buy a Windows PC made in identical conditions, an Xbox made in identical conditions, an Android phone made in identical conditions... it's less about actual concern and more about perpetuating platform wars.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

That would be because other big corporations don't do around trying to score brownie points by claiming to be using 100% renewable energy.

You need to realise that no one said what Apple has done is bad, far from it. Only that what they've said about what they've done is a cleverly worded marketing stunt to try and live up to their public image of being the company that cares, in reality they don't care in the same way all those other companies you mentioned don't care either.

They put themselves in the firing line on this one.

you know i will never defending misleading information, of course it is self serving. Then again this kind of news are important to bring the climate change topic into discussion.

I also see their side that if they explained they also use electricity from some coal factory it would just be fueling the idiocy around this subject anyway, no one would care anymore about the message.

In a perfect world they could explain they were carbon neutral while using electricity from the grid without anyone questioning the merits of what they did.

I guess what i'm saying is that this is an idiots world and you have to talk to most people like you would to a 3 year old, simplefy for the idiots.

it's not like it's a secret if you dig a little to their one public documents, they're not trying to hide it

1 hour ago, Whiskers said:

I've always found it a bit of an odd criticism when people say "they're guilty of exploiting child labour and polluting the environment" of Apple and Apple alone. In isolation it's true yes, but you're ignoring the fact that Apple's competitors are pretty much all comparably guilty, some likely even more so. If you're going to criticise any one of them you should criticise them all in relation to their respective levels of guilt.

It's also a bit odd to criticise Apple of all companies for engaging in "forced obsolescence". By and large their post-launch software and hardware support is considerably better than average; the now 5 and a half year old iPhone 5S still runs the newest version of iOS 11 and now that the early issues with it have been dealt with most users still seem satisfied with how the phone performs. They even continue to offer hardware repair options for devices all the way back to the iPhone 4S - can you say the same of Samsung, LG or any of the other big name competitors?

Apple are an imperfect company with an arrogance problem they need to work on. Their software development side has been deteriorating for a good few years now and their internal development culture is reputed to be phenomenally toxic. They definitely need to improve in many ways... but product lifespans and post-launch support aren't amongst them.

I expanded on that post in my next post...

Basically I'm only criticising Apple right now because they decided to release a press release about how environmentally friendly they are, I'm well aware other companies have similar practices but other companies also don't put themselves in the firing line by stating they're a 100% renewable energy company. Apple have genuinely done a good thing but it's only on the public facing side of their business and they're basically using clever marketing to promote themselves as a company that cares about the environment while behind the scenes they continue to not care as much as all the big tech companies don't care.

As for the planned obsolescence thing, I'm sorry but software support for X years means nothing when they're designing products to be discarded every 2 years and AFAIK Apple are the only tech giant company who point blank refuse to repair faulty products, Apple Care literally states that if your item goes wrong then they'll just bin it and give you a replacement. Perhaps using planned obsolescence wasn't the correct term for what I actually meant, Apple promote more of a throw it away and replace culture rather than a make do and mend culture.

Yes you're 100% correct in what you said, everyone should be subject to the same level of scrutiny, I cannot disagree and I wouldn't anyway but when a company starts spouting clever marketing gimmicks to shine the limelight onto themselves they should also expect the extra scrutiny that comes with it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

58 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

As for the planned obsolescence thing, I'm sorry but software support for X years means nothing when they're designing products to be discarded every 2 years and AFAIK Apple are the only tech giant company who point blank refuse to repair faulty products, Apple Care literally states that if your item goes wrong then they'll just bin it and give you a replacement. Perhaps using planned obsolescence wasn't the correct term for what I actually meant, Apple promote more of a throw it away and replace culture rather than a make do and mend culture.

Apple devices are not designed to be thrown out after 2 years.....they support their products with repairs and updates for many years and they continue to function long after that. 

Apple services, repairs, refurbishes, replaces (and recycles) all products that they get back from customers. They don’t throw these things away when they give people replacements. Thinking that is cute though. 

What Apple care states is also not final. It’s really up to the guy working on your case. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

11 hours ago, Valentyn said:

Guess you don't buy Microsoft, Sony, Cisco, Google, Nintendo, Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock, MSI, EVGA, XFX, Sapphire, Zotac, AMD, NVIDIA, Acer, Corsair, Seasonic, and oh so many other products either that are manufactured in China and Taiwan then. Primarily by the exact same partner companies.

No I do, but these companies don't claim to set the 'ethical standard in computing'. That's the difference.

Guess this isn't too hard to do if you've got several hundred billion dollars in the bank (offshore of course, can't be paying any taxes!).

50 minutes ago, JediFragger said:

Guess this isn't too hard to do if you've got several hundred billion dollars in the bank (offshore of course, can't be paying any taxes!).

Keeping money in the states is stupid since it gets taxed every year. 

You have to understand why these companies have off shore accounts, 

1 it’s perfectly legal

2 our tax corporate tax code is very high and keeping that much money here subjugates it to high taxes. 

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

our tax corporate tax code is very high

Only on paper and at first glance. Once you get past all the exceptions, credits, and loopholes, the US corporate tax code is pathetically low.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

it’s perfectly legal

No, it's not. It's tax evasion. Only reason companies like Apple get away with it is because they can buy off everyone with the authority to actually enforce the law.

10 hours ago, Commodus said:

It's funny to see people getting angry because Apple is using credits and offsets.

Not really. Whether or not Apple is figuring this with offsets, they're still intentionally lying.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

25 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, it's not. It's tax evasion. Only reason companies like Apple get away with it is because they can buy off everyone with the authority to actually enforce the law.

Oh really? Have any proof of that by any chance? 

Once you get past all the exceptions, credits, and loopholes, the US corporate tax code is pathetically low.

So what is it? Tax evasion or using the tax code

to the fullest extent. 

Whether or not Apple is figuring this with offsets, they're still intentionally lying.

Uhh, no. Poweroffsets is how renewable energies work. Power is generated and then pumped into a grid to offset the use of that homes power. 

Thats litteraly how renewables work. You can’t have a building on its own grid and legally run an operation out of it. 

29 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not really. Whether or not Apple is figuring this with offsets, they're still intentionally lying.

But not really.  The headline isn't very clear, but I'm not sure how you'd condense that while making it patently clear that this involves credits/offsets... and the actual release is very clear about what's going on.  Relax.  Apple is not a snake in the grass here; on the balance, this is a positive step.

21 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Climate change is not a myth and recently the "97% of climate scientists believe in climate change" theory was debunked and the real number was found to be somewhere closer to 99.94% consensus.

Oh, PLEASE post the source for those numbers.  I'd love a chance to see what sham they're trying to pull this time.  There's not a snowballs chance in a really hot place that those numbers are accurate.  All I have to do is look at how the "97%" myth got started, by one guy cherry picking numbers and proclaiming a fictional result that people bought into.  I guarantee that this new "99.94% consensus" will be equally fictitious.

20 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I knew this would turn into some climate debate lol.

Not unexpected, when the OP makes such ludicrous claims.

4 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Oh, PLEASE post the source for those numbers.  I'd love a chance to see what sham they're trying to pull this time.  There's not a snowballs chance in a really hot place that those numbers are accurate.  All I have to do is look at how the "97%" myth got started, by one guy cherry picking numbers and proclaiming a fictional result that people bought into.  I guarantee that this new "99.94% consensus" will be equally fictitious.

It is hard to deny climate change.

6 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

1 minute ago, Daniel Z. said:

It is hard to deny climate change.

Actually, it's not that hard.  The models are so radically inconsistent, that there's literally no quantifiable evidence to support it.  Even if you accept the claim of "climate change", no one can prove that mankind is in any way, shape or form responsible.

See, pretty easy.

Just now, Jito463 said:

Actually, it's not that hard.  The models are so radically inconsistent, that there's literally no quantifiable evidence to support it.  Even if you accept the claim of "climate change", no one can prove that mankind is in any way, shape or form responsible.

See, pretty easy.

It is impossible to deny that the global temperature has become overall warmer and more extreme as more greenhouse gases are emitted.