Apple now powered by 100% renewable energy

Go to solution Solved by Commodus,

It's funny to see people getting angry because Apple is using credits and offsets.  Yeah, you could argue that it's the corporate equivalent of a clickbait headline, but that's still more than many companies do.  What's the eco track record for your custom gaming rig? (And that's not meant to dunk on your rig, just to make you think about the companies involved in it.)

I'm reminded more than a little of the people who swore they'd never use Apple gear because it was made by people working in rough conditions, only to buy a Windows PC made in identical conditions, an Xbox made in identical conditions, an Android phone made in identical conditions... it's less about actual concern and more about perpetuating platform wars.

Source: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/04/apple-now-globally-powered-by-100-percent-renewable-energy/

Apple today announced its global facilities are powered with 100 percent clean energy. This achievement includes retail stores, offices, data centers and co-located facilities in 43 countries — including the United States, the United Kingdom, China and India. The company also announced nine additional manufacturing partners have committed to power all of their Apple production with 100 percent clean energy, bringing the total number of supplier commitments to 23.

It would appear that Apple has finally fully followed through with their promises to become 100% renewable that they have made over the past few years. Not only has Apple made themselves 100% renewable, they have also gotten their other manufacturing partners to become 100% renewable as well. 

Apple currently has 25 operational renewable energy projects around the world, totaling 626 megawatts of generation capacity, with 286 megawatts of solar PV generation coming online in 2017, its most ever in one year. It also has 15 more projects in construction. Once built, over 1.4 gigawatts of clean renewable energy generation will be spread across 11 countries.

Thats a lot of power......

“We’re committed to leaving the world better than we found it. After years of hard work we’re proud to have reached this significant milestone,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “We’re going to keep pushing the boundaries of what is possible with the materials in our products, the way we recycle them, our facilities and our work with suppliers to establish new creative and forward-looking sources of renewable energy because we know the future depends on it.”

That is Apples official PR stance. Weather you believe their products are not as environmentally friendly or not because you can't upgrade them or not is a different story. (they do have extensive recycling programs but Apple cannot make people use them)

Spoiler

Regardless this is wonderful news, more companies and my home country need to commit themselves to running off of renewable energy sources. Climate change is not a myth and recently the "97% of climate scientists believe in climate change" theory was debunked and the real number was found to be somewhere closer to 99.94% consensus.  

Not much more to it than that, outside of becoming a solar manufacturer idk what else they could do on the renewable energy front. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Not to be a hater... But I wonder how much fossil fuel is consumed to mine the minerals and ship their products...

Also, how many metric tons of electronic waste is buried in landfills or being picked through a burning debris field by kids in a third world country due to their fast model release cycle (and mainstream consumers constantly upgrading every chance they get).

Glad they are making the world a better place.

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Also, how many metric tons of electronic waste is buried in landfills or being picked through a burning debris field by kids in a third world country due to their fast model release cycle (and mainstream consumers constantly upgrading every chance they get).

They do their best to reduce as much waste as they can (video linked in OP). But not everyone recycles their iPhones to Apple so they can't do much about that. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I’m curious how they can guarantee that things like the retail stores are using 100% renewable energy?

For example, the Apple Store in my community is in a mall. That mall presumably buys electricity from the local utility. 

That local utility gets its electricity from various sources, including nuclear, hydroelectric, wind, and natural gas. 

I wonder if they are signing contracts with the electricity utility company in which the utility “allocates” it’s clean energy to Apple (even though the clean electricity really goes into the grid and is part of a pool rather than an individual supply). 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Regardless this is wonderful news, more companies and my home country need to commit themselves to running off of renewable energy sources. Climate change is not a myth and recently the "97% of climate scientists believe in climate change" theory was debunked in the real number was found to be somewhere closer to 99.94% consensus.

I wonder if Tesla will respond with another Australia type move somewhere else? If Apple takes this seriously outside if their own facilities, that could be huge.

Just now, Mooshi said:

Pffffthaaaaaaa~ Clean and Chinese factory sounds so bizarre in the same sentence.

Despite being one of (if not the) largest consumers of oil in the world, China has been massively expanding things like Solar Farms over recent years. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I’m curious how they can guarantee that things like the retail stores are using 100% renewable energy?

For example, the Apple Store in my community is in a mall. That mall presumably buys electricity from the local utility. 

That local utility gets its electricity from various sources, including nuclear, hydroelectric, wind, and natural gas. 

I wonder if they are signing contracts with the electricity utility company in which the utility “allocates” it’s clean energy to Apple (even though the clean electricity really goes into the grid and is part of a pool rather than an individual supply). 

I'd bet they produce enough clean energy that gets put back into the grid to compensate.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I believe one way to look at it would be that their solar farms produce enough power to meet the consumption used by everything including their retail locations. You sell that power to the grid and while a specific store might not get to use it, the equivalent power and + was added to the grid in the form of renewable energy. 

7 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Pffffthaaaaaaa~ Clean and Chinese factory sounds so bizarre in the same sentence.

That and the PR statement being from Apple themselves, lol sure if you say so, Apple. xD Making their products disposable in a yearly cycle  instead of upgradeable doesn't seem as clean as they lead you to believe imo.

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

That and the PR statement being from Apple themselves, lol sure if you say so, Apple. xD

If you'll read you will see they have gotten factories on board outside of the US.....

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'd bet they produce enough clean energy that gets put back into the grid to compensate.

Sure but that’s not the same thing. Producing solar energy elsewhere does not actually change what their local Apple Store uses. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

I believe one way to look at it would be that their solar farms produce enough power to meet the consumption used by everything including their retail locations. You sell that power to the grid and while a specific store might not get to use it, the equivalent power and + was added to the grid in the form of renewable energy. 

As mentioned above, that’s not the same thing. No Apple Solar Farms are connected to my local grid. I don’t even think there are any Apple Solar Farms in Ontario. 

So while Apple might generate more Clean Energy than they use dirty energy, that doesn’t change how each physical building is powered. 

Now, carbon offset as a concept isn’t new. That’s how most Cap and Trade carbon programs work. But if what you say is true, then it’s misleading for Apple to claim 100% clean energy for all Apple buildings/factories, etc. 

Granted, Ontario is very clean energy already. Nuclear and Hydroelectric make up the majority of energy production. The only fossil fuel used is Natural Gas. We also use a small amount of biofuel (mostly wood pellets), which is considered renewable energy, even though it’s not clean energy. So Apple’s Ontario stores were never really anything to worry about anyway. 

But most countries/provinces/states aren’t like us. 

22 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Source: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/04/apple-now-globally-powered-by-100-percent-renewable-energy/

It would appear that Apple has finally fully followed through with their promises to become 100% renewable that they have made over the past few years. Not only has Apple made themselves 100% renewable, they have also gotten their other manufacturing partners to become 100% renewable as well. 

Thats a lot of power......

That is Apples official PR stance. Weather you believe their products are not as environmentally friendly or not because you can't upgrade them or not is a different story. (they do have extensive recycling programs but Apple cannot make people use them)

Reveal hidden contents

Regardless this is wonderful news, more companies and my home country need to commit themselves to running off of renewable energy sources. Climate change is not a myth and recently the "97% of climate scientists believe in climate change" theory was debunked and the real number was found to be somewhere closer to 99.94% consensus.  

Not much more to it than that, outside of becoming a solar manufacturer idk what else they could do on the renewable energy front. 

I think we have bigger problems... 

https://youtu.be/SSrjAXK5pGw

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

So while Apple might generate more Clean Energy than they use dirty energy, that doesn’t change how each physical building is powered. 

They don't own a good portion of the buildings they have stores in, in those cases it's not up to them. But they can pump power onto the grids their stores are on. 

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

then it’s misleading for Apple to claim 100% clean energy for all Apple buildings/factories, etc. 

Not if we don't have all the information. 

If Apple has gotten solar panels on homes to help power their operations then having renewable power on the same grid is not outside the realm of possibility. 

6 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I think we have bigger problems...

No, all climate problems are related. 

More fossil fuels = more Co2 = more heat = sea level increases. 

As people have pointed out, Apple is claiming this through offsets, so it's not the same as every office building and store being directly powered by renewables.  However, it's probably as close as Apple can get short of somehow forcing solar panels on to the top of every building it occupies.

Besides, many companies don't even manage this much... baby steps, folks.

BREAKING NEWS: US Military seizes Apple's hidden oil supplies  

(Someone better get the joke)

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

No, all climate problems are related. 

Yes, yes, I know I meant that this issue isn't what it is pumped up to be. We have bigger problems, and Earth's temps are always fluctuating. Geological_Timescale_op_712x534.jpg

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Yes, yes, I know I meant that this issue isn't what it is pumped up to be. We have bigger problems, and Earth's temps are always fluctuating.

Yes they are always fluctuating, but for longer than would be expected it is heating up more than it is cooling. 

2 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

I guess that slave and child labour.

People still on about that?

Guess nobody reads. 

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

People still on about that?

Guess nobody reads. 

People are still on about it because it still happens and Apple are an awful company with absolutely no ethics. I couldn't give a flying fart if they use renewable energy to produce their crapulous products, when they're still treating their workers like garbage.