Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Protongog

Xeon x3440 motherboard required.

On 10/04/2018 at 12:18 PM, Protongog said:

I am going to try again and clear the cmos for longer and see if that works if nothing happens i will pick up the x3430 

Thanks 

I feel like an idiot. The good news I have it working and now the confession, the problem was me I had forgotten that the Xeon has no on-board graphics so I plugged in a HD 7950 and it is all working fine. Thanks for the help but you can't account for a rookie error. 

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi all

I am looking for a motherboard that will work with a Xeon x3440 I have tried Asus P7H55 and I am looking to overclock so any help would be welcomed.

Thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure for your Socket 1156 Lynfield CPU you would need a P55 chipset if you want to overclock. Your P7H55 only has the H series chipset which won't cut it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree, you can find plenty of resources of Lynnfield xeons running on H55 boards, without even modding the bios, including Asus' own P7H55-m which is a mATX variant of OP's board. The thing with 1156 Xeons is that they're essentially just renamed mainstream CPUs such as i5 (for x3430) and i7 (x3440 is often referred by people as being a renamed i7-860s) If anything, it seems OP's specific board has some bios compatibility problem.

 

Perhaps making sure you have the most recent bios, somehow, could help. Although Lynnfield CPUs should be supported by any bios revision on that board. Maybe there's a socket problem, like bent pins, or maybe the CPU is bust?

 

Here you even have a Russian guy that seems to be running x3440 @4GHz on same board as OP's. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, ProximaOfZeal said:

I disagree, you can find plenty of resources of Lynnfield xeons running on H55 boards, without even modding the bios, including Asus' own P7H55-m which is a mATX variant of OP's board. The thing with 1156 Xeons is that they're essentially just renamed mainstream CPUs such as i5 (for x3430) and i7 (x3440 is often referred by people as being a renamed i7-860s) If anything, it seems OP's specific board has some bios compatibility problem.

 

Perhaps making sure you have the most recent bios, somehow, could help. Although Lynnfield CPUs should be supported by any bios revision on that board. Maybe there's a socket problem, like bent pins, or maybe the CPU is bust?

 

Here you even have a Russian guy that seems to be running x3440 @4GHz on same board as OP's. 

 

I have no way of knowing if the CPU is the problem. I have the last bios update which was Windows 8.1 and it runs my i5 fine. When I turn the computer on the power cycles on and off and does not display the bios post really not sure what to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Protongog said:

I have no way of knowing if the CPU is the problem. I have the last bios update which was Windows 8.1 and it runs my i5 fine. When I turn the computer on the power cycles on and off and does not display the bios post really not sure what to do.

Check this link:

 

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7H55/HelpDesk_CPU/

 

Clearly there are no Xeons in the supported CPU list, so this board can't run Xeons without running a modded BIOS with Xeon microcode.


PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X MSI X370 Gaming Plus 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 - GTX1070Ti FE 600p 256GB & M550 512GB & 860 Evo 500GB Fractal Define R5 CM V550 W8.1 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Check this link:

 

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7H55/HelpDesk_CPU/

 

Clearly there are no Xeons in the supported CPU list, so this board can't run Xeons without running a modded BIOS with Xeon microcode.

It's very rare to have any of the consumer boards have Xeons listed as officially supported, and yet they work for people, so I don't think that's a valid argument here.

 

@Protongog Well, it's possible the CPU is faulty. Rather than buying a new mobo that can be costly for a good one, you could get a Xeon x3430 (sort of i5 equivalent) which are really cheap, to verify if the board can accept Xeons and if the x3440 is indeed the problem. Or you could just get another x3440 but it's really up to you.

 

Edit: I assume you did clear the CMOS properly after replacing the CPU? The board might be trying to run the Xeon with i5 settings and that also might be a problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the boot loop when I put a X5460 in my P35 mobo with the proper BIOS.

 

Make sure you clear CMOS properly. You can remove the battery and leave it out for a while, then try again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
34 minutes ago, Glasare said:

I had the boot loop when I put a X5460 in my P35 mobo with the proper BIOS.

 

Make sure you clear CMOS properly. You can remove the battery and leave it out for a while, then try again.

I am going to try again and clear the cmos for longer and see if that works if nothing happens i will pick up the x3430 

Thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP · Best Answer
On 10/04/2018 at 12:18 PM, Protongog said:

I am going to try again and clear the cmos for longer and see if that works if nothing happens i will pick up the x3430 

Thanks 

I feel like an idiot. The good news I have it working and now the confession, the problem was me I had forgotten that the Xeon has no on-board graphics so I plugged in a HD 7950 and it is all working fine. Thanks for the help but you can't account for a rookie error. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I will be looking for another motherboard for my x3440 my current boad will remain as my Rockon server but I will get a x3440 to replace my old i5 650. I got this for only £20 from eBay 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2018 at 3:22 PM, Protongog said:

I have no way of knowing if the CPU is the problem. I have the last bios update which was Windows 8.1 and it runs my i5 fine. When I turn the computer on the power cycles on and off and does not display the bios post really not sure what to do.

Actually I think it's a RAM compatibility issue. You may try some other RAMs or server RAM. It may help.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×