Hide Main Page Scroll Bar When Previewing Topic

When you hover over a topic it gives a quick preview of the post/latest response. In this scrollable popup, when you scroll to the end it starts scrolling the whole page thus making you unhover the popup and it goes away. IMO this is pretty unintuitive and annoying.

A nice (and easy) change would be to just hide the scroll bar of the main page while you are hovered on the preview div or while the preview is visible.

We don't have much control over the javascript, and changing that would involve JS changes, so I'm afraid it's not something we can do.

HTTP/2 203

23 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

We don't have much control over the javascript, and changing that would involve JS changes, so I'm afraid it's not something we can do.

Do you have full access to the layout of the page and it's CSS? Because a pure CSS solution would be possible, with a few tweaks.

4 minutes ago, Probably Alex said:

Do you have full access to the layout of the page and it's CSS? Because a pure CSS solution would be possible, with a few tweaks.

A pure CSS solution can't detect that a popup is open then remove scrolling from its ancestors. Even if we could detect it though, disabling scrolling will scroll you to the top of the page, which would not be good.

If it were easy to disable scrolling while the mouse is within the popup, it would be a nice change to make (but not whenever the popup is visible), but the preview feature is used fairly infrequently anyway, and my time is very limited, so any remotely complex solutions are not going to be worth the time compared to implementing more widely used features I'm afraid.

HTTP/2 203

15 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

A pure CSS solution can't detect that a popup is open then remove scrolling from its ancestors. Even if we could detect it though, disabling scrolling will scroll you to the top of the page, which would not be good.

If it were easy to disable scrolling while the mouse is within the popup, it would be a nice change to make (but not whenever the popup is visible), but the preview feature is used fairly infrequently anyway, and my time is very limited, so any remotely complex solutions are not going to be worth the time compared to implementing more widely used features I'm afraid.

Right, you'd have to re position the preview div outside of a separate div that would hold the scroll bar. And that's more trouble than it's worth.. shame you can't just use JS. 

And I must be in the minority then, because I use the preview almost exclusively. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Either way, it was worth a shot.