Why is my laptop's GPU faster than my PC's one?

Saxioliken
1 minute ago, geo3 said:

He can run this to find exactly which CPU and other stuff he has. https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Most likely it's the GPU holding you back though. Pick up a desktop 1050ti for it and it should be faster than your laptop again.

Yeah I can use that but don't have a monitor to actually view the stuff yet

And yea I figured it was the GPU, hence why I posted here. And I can't afford a GPU, sadly

5 minutes ago, linustechtipscom said:

Also 2011 CPU which would be Sandy Bridge CPUs, but there is no 3.5GHz  Sandy Bridge i5. This probably means your PC has original dual core i5

I have looked at the model before and nowhere did it say this. What exactly does dual core i5 mean?

2 cores. 2 logical processors in a physical processor. your laptop has 4 cores. 

4 minutes ago, linustechtipscom said:

I think your Pc has Core i5-670. and your laptop's i5 7300HQ is 100% faster. 

I remember that my processor had 4 numbers after it

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

That's a huge exaggeration. It's faster but not anywhere close to twice as fast.

i5 7300HQ might only boost to 3.5 but it has 7th gen core and newer core are faster.

1 minute ago, linustechtipscom said:

i5 7300HQ might only boost to 3.5 but it has 7th gen core and newer core are faster.

Yes, but ICP gains over the life of the Core i product line are only around 25% to 30%

4 minutes ago, Saxioliken said:

I remember that my processor had 4 numbers after it

if it had 4 numbers then your CPU is good for gaming. 

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

Yes, but ICP gains over the life of the Core i product line are only around 25% to 30%

The Insane Clown Posse has nothing to do with this.

Its also faster because of the better memory subsystem.

Just now, linustechtipscom said:

if it had 4 numbers then your CPU is good for gaming. 

Alright perfect

I just have a few more questions guys (I don't think a separate thread is needed for all of 'em)

1) I want to buy a new case since my current one is broken and has pretty bad airflow. How can I make sure my components fit in? Do I just calculate everything?

2) Is a good processor cooler needed? I think right now I just have one from intel (maybe it came with the processor? I don't even remember).

3) Does my motherboard need anything extra to be able to run with an SSD?

6 minutes ago, Saxioliken said:

Alright perfect

I just have a few more questions guys (I don't think a separate thread is needed for all of 'em)

1) I want to buy a new case since my current one is broken and has pretty bad airflow. How can I make sure my components fit in? Do I just calculate everything?

2) Is a good processor cooler needed? I think right now I just have one from intel (maybe it came with the processor? I don't even remember).

1) Get the model of your MB, like the exact model, then look up it's form factor and get a compatible case. Although unless it's from dell it's likely ATX

2) If you're not overclocking it should be fine with the stock cooler.

3) A SATA SSD will work by default.  An NVME SSD won't (you might be able to use it as secondary storage but  older systems can't boot from them)

5 minutes ago, Saxioliken said:

If the board is ATX, a full size ATX case should work.

If you cant overclock it wont help much if at all.  Larger coolers are just quieter.

Older boards require SATA SSD's instead of M.2.  The easiest way to figure this out is that SATA SSD's look like laptop hard drives.

37 minutes ago, geo3 said:

He can run this to find exactly which CPU and other stuff he has. https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.htm

All he has to do is open dxdiag.exe like the fastest easiest way to find it out.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

All he has to do is open dxdiag.exe like the fastest easiest way to find it out.

or follow these steps 

1. On the keyboard, hold down the WINDOWS key and then hit R.
  2. In the Run window, type MSINFO32 and then click OK.
  3. In the System Information window, click the File menu and then Save.
  4. Set the desired folder to save to, enter a file name, and then click Save.
and share the NFO file 

7 minutes ago, Saxioliken said:

This is my MB: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-P61A-D3-rev-20#ov

I can't see anything about ATX, could you tell me if it is OK?

it's an atx board. you have 6 Sata ports to plug in the 2.5 SSD drive but 4 of those are slower 3Gb/s. make sure you plug the SSD in faster 6Gb/s port for best performance. 

19 minutes ago, linustechtipscom said:

it's an atx board. you have 6 Sata ports to plug in the 2.5 SSD drive but 4 of those are slower 3Gb/s. make sure you plug the SSD in faster 6Gb/s port for best performance. 

Oh I'll make sure to check when I get one, thanks ;)

29 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Under specs...

Oh my bad, I didn't even see the specs tab

25 minutes ago, linustechtipscom said:

or follow these steps 

1. On the keyboard, hold down the WINDOWS key and then hit R.
  2. In the Run window, type MSINFO32 and then click OK.
  3. In the System Information window, click the File menu and then Save.
  4. Set the desired folder to save to, enter a file name, and then click Save.
and share the NFO file 

Kind of an overkill with all these ways guys, I was already told it's good for gaming and that the GPU is more important anyways. Thank you for the effort, though :)

2 hours ago, linustechtipscom said:

Also 2011 CPU which would be Sandy Bridge CPUs, but there is no 3.5GHz  Sandy Bridge i5. This probably means your PC has original dual core i5

E3-1280 is 3.5ghz and Sandy Bridge.

Same for 2700k.

If its a 2700k, congratulations!  Your CPU will likely OC to ~4.7ghz with a good Z77 motherboard.  You can get Z77 boards with heatsinked VRM's for ~$100 that should be able to push the CPU to at least 4.5ghz where it will perform very well in even the most demanding games.  It should be able to feed up to something like GTX 1080 level GPU performance.

On 4/9/2018 at 11:59 PM, KarathKasun said:

E3-1280 is 3.5ghz and Sandy Bridge.

Same for 2700k.

we're talking about i5s. you're mentning i7 and Xeon 

On 4/9/2018 at 11:59 PM, KarathKasun said:

If its a 2700k, congratulations!  Your CPU will likely OC to ~4.7ghz with a good Z77 motherboard.  You can get Z77 boards with heatsinked VRM's for ~$100 that should be able to push the CPU to at least 4.5ghz where it will perform very well in even the most demanding games.  It should be able to feed up to something like GTX 1080 level GPU performance.

His mobo confirms he has 2nd gen i5 but if he's Right about clock speed, it could be one of those low power CPUs like Core i5-2400S or Core i5-2405S

3 hours ago, linustechtipscom said:

we're talking about i5s. you're mentning i7 and Xeon 

His mobo confirms he has 2nd gen i5 but if he's Right about clock speed, it could be one of those low power CPUs like Core i5-2400S or Core i5-2405S

It could also be 3rd gen as it shared a platform with the 2nd gen.

i5-3570 is 3.4ghz, i5-2550k is 3.4ghz, and i5-2450P/3450/3450S boost to 3.5ghz.