Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TechSquidTV

When do you think we will see an intel CPU not natively affected my Meltdown?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

How much has this affected your decision to upgrade? I really feel like we are on the cusp of another generation of CPUs and GPUs but I mayyyy be forced to upgrade in the next six months. What's everyone's plans? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

9th gen should be fixed from a hardware level, Intel took some harsh beating for selling off bugged 8th gen CPUs even though they know about the vulnerability. If 9th gen isnt fixed, their reputation will be ruined even further.


CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ampix0 said:

How much has this affected your decision to upgrade? I really feel like we are on the cusp of another generation of CPUs and GPUs but I mayyyy be forced to upgrade in the next six months. What's everyone's plans? 

I was thinking about just getting a 1080 since the 1070ti came out and I've found one for a reasonable price but may just wait for next gen GPU's from Nvidia which as far as I know, No one seems to know a lot about yet. (all speculation)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have we actually seen anything of people affected by Meltdown/Spectre? Just asking, I haven't really looked either. Even if 9th Gen is bugged to, I still don't see Intel really losing out on much. What IS going to happen though I could see low sales, especially in the server market because why upgrade if the bug still present. From a sales point, 9th gen needs to fixed, but not because their reputation is tarnished.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ErykYT3 said:

I was thinking about just getting a 1080 since the 1070ti came out and I've found one for a reasonable price but may just wait for next gen GPU's from Nvidia which as far as I know, No one seems to know a lot about yet. (all speculation)

I wanted to build a pc last year but...

We all know what happened there.

The intel controversy has definitely affected my decision to buy a processor from them. I'm just waiting for things to improve at the moment. CPU and GPU wise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
25 minutes ago, RedAV8R said:

Have we actually seen anything of people affected by Meltdown/Spectre? Just asking, I haven't really looked either. Even if 9th Gen is bugged to, I still don't see Intel really losing out on much. What IS going to happen though I could see low sales, especially in the server market because why upgrade if the bug still present. From a sales point, 9th gen needs to fixed, but not because their reputation is tarnished.

I work in web stuff. There have been significant drops to performance for many CPU intensive tasks, often related to database procedures. This seems to be one area it's much more noticeable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ampix0 said:

I work in web stuff. There have been significant drops to performance for many CPU intensive tasks, often related to database procedures. This seems to be one area it's much more noticeable.

Yep, you're right, performance has dropped due to way things are being fixed. So that new chips are required just to get performance back to where it was at before the fixes. And for companies who require their products to be secure this is going to be the result. From a sales point, if Intel does fix the issue on hardware level, so that performance not only increases due to improvements in design and upgrading, faster/more effiencent/etc, then companies will be more or less forced to go the upgrade path.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Im reading that the 9th gen "ice-lake" series could come out later this year or early next year with a hardware fix on a 10nm architecture. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Meltwhat? Who cares? :P


CPU: i7-8700k 5GHz@1.25v | MoBo: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @4000CL17GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Evga Supernova G2 750w |

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Logitech G PRO WL | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch2 |

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KarathKasun said:

One full development cycle after they knew, which puts a hardware fix at ~2020.

Probably, AMD and Intel both stated there will be fixed Hardware on both sides this year. But its unlikely tbh.


CPU: i7-8700k 5GHz@1.25v | MoBo: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @4000CL17GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Evga Supernova G2 750w |

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Logitech G PRO WL | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch2 |

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×